school fees!!!

jo123

Hi everyone,

My OH has been offered a job near newcastle, NSW, and our 457 visa application is now lodged (woo) but just got really depressed looking at the school fees for our 10 yr old daughter. We are not even a tiny bit religious but i could pretend to be if it meant getting her into a good , cheaper school.

So, my question is this, Is there anyway around paying the fees? If not, can anyone recommend a good catholic school near belmont?

Thanks. Jo:sad:

No, there's no way around them - you have to pay the NSW government before they will give any government school permission to enrol them

Sucks, but that's life in NSW. You have to factor paying them in to your budgets, and if that makes it unaffordable, don't come - look elsewhere in Australia where they don't impose the fees or stay at home

This is particularly important now that LAFHA is being abolished for 457 holders - in NSW this is going to make life very tight for some

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

We know a few families in Sydney who have opted to send their children to Catholic school instead of paying the NSW Government School fees. Catholic Primary Schools typically cost $2,000 per year per child. Depending on the area and school you approach, they will offer you a place if your children are not baptised Catholic.

If you want to investigate this option further I think this is the Catholic Education office you would need to talk to: http://www.mn.catholic.edu.au/

We are Christian (not Catholic) and our son is at a Catholic school in Sydney - we would recommend the Catholic Education System in Australia.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news but our catholic school in Miranda Sydney, are increasing fees in line with the NSW rates for 457 holders as of next school term, I think this is at least state wide for the catholic schools but you might want to double check that. Good luck.

Guest shusselmann
Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news but our catholic school in Miranda Sydney, are increasing fees in line with the NSW rates for 457 holders as of next school term, I think this is at least state wide for the catholic schools but you might want to double check that. Good luck.

Interesting, thanks for that. Is this your education office? The fees are explained here: http://www.parra.catholic.edu.au/schools/school-fees/school-fees.aspx

If I have understood correctly, the annual fees will still be less then NSW Government School fees but there is an additional levy for temporary residents. No evidence on other Catholic Education Office websites that they're doing the same but it will be interesting to see what their 2012 fees are when they get published.

Interesting, thanks for that. Is this your education office? The fees are explained here: http://www.parra.catholic.edu.au/schools/school-fees/school-fees.aspx

If I have understood correctly, the annual fees will still be less then NSW Government School fees but there is an additional levy for temporary residents. No evidence on other Catholic Education Office websites that they're doing the same but it will be interesting to see what their 2012 fees are when they get published.

I would imagine that if one Catholic diocese goes the way of parity with 457 visa holders then the others will probably also take the same route. They have been doing themselves out of funding for several years bu only charging local fees so I would not be surprised if they do change their policies across the board.

Guest shusselmann
I would imagine that if one Catholic diocese goes the way of parity with 457 visa holders then the others will probably also take the same route. They have been doing themselves out of funding for several years bu only charging local fees so I would not be surprised if they do change their policies across the board.

I agree.

It's interesting that the pricing still puts them below the NSW Public School fees (by at least $1,000 per year per child). Also worth noting that the extra fee ($1,500) for temporary residents is per family not per child.

Hi ,

I'm not sure if this is where I should post my query but seeing so many of you here I thot I might give it a go. Are there any parents here who send kids to the Catholic school in Menai or Revesby st. Lukes.? We are considering these two areas to live in but menai may be a tad too costly so the second option is Revesby.

Would be grateful for any info.

Cheers.

Thanks for all your replys,

Am I right in thinking that with the catholic schools the fee is spread over the school year and not needed in one lump sum at the beginning of the year?

I dont mind paying the $4500 but in one lump sum as soon as we get there??! He only got offered this job 2 weeks ago and the visa app is in and we had only been applying for 5 months, so its all happened rather quickly and didnt have much chance to look into NSW school fees before yesterday.

My daughter has attended 2 catholic schools in the uk so going to one in oz wouldnt be a problem for her.

Thanks again to those who helped. x

Hi,

Thanks for that link, I will find out if our school falls under this area, I just happened to know about the fee increase as a friend of mine on a 457, who has a child already attending will continue to pay normal fees around $2000 pa, however her youngest who is starting kindy next term will pay the full $4500.

Our School office did say they hadn't had full confirmation yet but the draft said it was to be in line with state school fees, she will be very pleased if its going to be less, thanks for that.

Cheryl.

Guest shusselmann
Thanks for all your replys,

Am I right in thinking that with the catholic schools the fee is spread over the school year and not needed in one lump sum at the beginning of the year?

I dont mind paying the $4500 but in one lump sum as soon as we get there??! He only got offered this job 2 weeks ago and the visa app is in and we had only been applying for 5 months, so its all happened rather quickly and didnt have much chance to look into NSW school fees before yesterday.

My daughter has attended 2 catholic schools in the uk so going to one in oz wouldnt be a problem for her.

Thanks again to those who helped. x

Hi again,

Just to confirm that fees are spread out across the year, my son's school has three installments: at the beginning of Term 1, Term 2 and Term 3. Nice to know you're all paid up by Term 4 :-)

• 9 months later...

I got the 475 visa to live in Adelaide for 3 years. I have two kids one is 13 years and one is 10 years. Do i need to pay the admission and school fee for public school in Adelaide? if yes then how much? as i am getting preparation to move. Could anyone please help me?

Regards

Azmir

This thread was discussing school fees for 457 visa holders which are charged in NSW (and the ACT).

475 visa holders do not have to pay these fees anywhere.

457 visa holders do not have to pay these fees in SA.

As a 475 visa holder in SA you definitely won't have to pay these fees.

However you might have to pay the usual public school fees that everyone is charged.