Is it me or is Australian bacon weird?

Guest lol1984

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets face it - sausages and bacon here are DIFFERENT (some may say better, others disagree) - I'm an Aussie now so I've stopped moaning that I can't find "......." or "it tastes different/is better....." in the UK.

You're not going to change it - different sources, different production methods - so learn to like it or leave it alone! :wink:

Guest JoesDog

I was cooking bacon here (UK) the other day and was pondering the bacon issue. I think the supermarket bacon we get here is not all that, to thinly sliced and pumped full of water. I didn't mind the aussie supermarket stuff, maybe even preferring it:elvis:

I know I have too much time on my hands but I've concluded (after some googling) that the difference may be in the difference between dry and wet curing. I have also concluded that I need to get a life!!

• 2 years later...

I too must admit that the Aussie bacon is just not the same, we do not get the same bacon smell around the kitchen/house when cooking it and very little flavor too. We had a bloke at work that kept a few pigs for slaughter now and again, they used to fatten them up ( like they all do he tells us) with loads of old milk, the fresh meat he says smelt of sour milk but it cooks up ok, needless to say we never bought any off him.

We always have plenty of bacon butties when we go back on holidays.

Yes the bacon here is.....different. But you can get something similar to what we're used to. We tried "American bacon" the other day from Woolies. It crisps up nicely. And at the butchers they often call the "right" bacon "pancetta".

Apart from this anomaly, I think the rest of Australian food is fantastic. Even run of the mill stuff like chicken is far superior. And Aussie fish and chips put British chippies to shame.

Yes the bacon here is.....different. But you can get something similar to what we're used to. We tried "American bacon" the other day from Woolies. It crisps up nicely. And at the butchers they often call the "right" bacon "pancetta".

Apart from this anomaly, I think the rest of Australian food is fantastic. Even run of the mill stuff like chicken is far superior. And Aussie fish and chips put British chippies to shame.

I'll have to move to Brisbane! It certainly isn't better in Adelaide!

• 1 month later...
To start off UK Bacon is usually a different cut than Aussie bacon. They are also cured different. The breads that the meat comes from makes a difference. Australian meat being more organic makes a difference. Any POME that thinks Australian meat is watered, I and many others don't understand where you are getting your meat from. At the supermarket deli you will find good quality bacon, better than anything you may find in a UK supermarket that is NOT watered. A butcher is where you will find better quality bacon and also meat. Australian supermarkets DON'T water there meat like the UK. A tell tail sign that the meat has been watered in the UK is, they meat portions all weigh the same, They don't cook properly they stew when cooking due to the water content and the meat shrinks. Everyone has there own tastes. When being brought up on low quality meat you seem to get a taste for it, it is like Aussies and Veggiemite, you get a taste for it. Unless you can afford to go to the butches in the UK and pay ridiculous prices for meat you will always get poor quality meat in UK. FACT!

Is there proof Aussie meat (ei chook fillets)DON'T contain added water?As for stating you'll always get poor quality in the UK (apart from Butchers!!)thats just silly.We always have good quality steaks ect brought from supermarkets.re Oz bacon?I found it ok actually.My sister brought hers from the deli counter of a supermarket.

australian bacon and food in General is pure shyte , just like there sense of humour , they got fuk all only beaches and you soon get pissed off with that , there bbq's are as cheap as the clothing they wear Just cheap sausages , no one knows what good quality meat is , there a country full of cheap sausage and watery bacon lovers

Yeah whereas Britain is known for its culinary greatness.

Give your head a wobble Australia has some amazing food if you don't like Aussie Aussie food get yourself out to somewhere like Cabramatta if your in Sydney.