expired permanent resident visa

Guest shez

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help with my hubbys question. He was granted a permanent resident visa back in 1981 with his first family. Unfortunately the ex-wife changed her mind and they did not go, he did not validate his visa at the time but has been on holiday three times since then to Australia. Is there any way he can get this permanent resident status back or is it lost now.

Thanks for any advice anyone may be able to give. We thought about him applying for a return resident visa but do not know if that is posible.

Heres hoping.

Thanks

My understanding is that if it wasn't validated then its just not valid. Also not entirely sure on this one but there are minimum residency times on a visa to keep it current with the ones available at the moment. Best bet would be to contact the Australian embassy in london I would think. Visas in 1981 would have been a lot different to those today.

He'll have to apply again i'm afraid - you don't necessarily have to take out citizenship after the 5 years but if you leave australia you need a resident return visa (I think that's what it's called) to be allowed back in.

Ali

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help with my hubbys question. He was granted a permanent resident visa back in 1981 with his first family. Unfortunately the ex-wife changed her mind and they did not go, he did not validate his visa at the time but has been on holiday three times since then to Australia. Is there any way he can get this permanent resident status back or is it lost now.

Thanks for any advice anyone may be able to give. We thought about him applying for a return resident visa but do not know if that is posible.

Heres hoping.

Thanks

Visa's were different back in 1981. The fact that is was never validated and even if it had been, back then you were only allowed out of the country for a maximum of 2 years before you had to reapply to renter. I was a ping pong pome back then as a child, and remember my parents had saved just enough money for us all to return within the 2 year period by about 1 month.

You can take out citizenship at anytime after your qualifying period, was 2 years now it's 4. I only took out citizenship about 3 years ago after being here for 31 years, bit slack I know, you don't even have to have it if you don't want to.

Archived