register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mr Fabricator

Anyone doing their visa in secret ?

Hey all,

As title suggests . Im sure a lot of people arnt telling their current employer that theyre potentially jumping ship but is anyone doing the process in virtual secrecy??

My best mate knows , my mum and dad know and one other friend , but thats it !!!!!

Not even my sister ........................ absoloutly no one .

I constantly feel bad as i feel like im lying to everyone :unsure: playing down things like holiday invites and things planned for next year , and when i do finally tell people then i'll be getting it in the neck for not telling them in the first place .:sad:

I have my reasons , My business for starters , i havto earn the pennies and work is so scarce at the mo, one whiff of me shutting down and my clients will simply go elsewhere ,

I also have a couple of lodgers and this helps with the house bills , id be re-posessed without the additional income and cant tell them for fear they'll look for somewhere else straight away.

And sadly not telling anyone means i cant share my excitement and journey from initial agent enquiries through to waiting for the visa approval and finally booking that plane ticket .

If im honest i feel excited in myself for the whole adventure and new start of it all , but sad for letting my friends and those around me down , and at times quite alone in the world .

Ive decided to potentially let the cat out of the bag when i submit to DIAC , but that could quite possibly be April or later .....

Thank god u guys are here , id quite simply be going nuts without POI :notworthy:

lee

IELTS 08/10/11 8.5/8.5/7.5/9...8.5 O/A, VETASSESS 15/11/11,level 1 pass 19/12/11,practical 25/02/12, results 21/03/12, WA SS 04/04/2012,Approved 30/04/12,DIAC 18/05/2012, CO 28/05/12, PC's 30/05/12, meds 01/06/12 PCC 19/06/12 , VISA Granted 21/06/12......

I'd keep mush if I were you, until you have the visa in your hands.

We didn't tell anyone except very close friends, brother and my boss (who was very supportive). This also helped us plan together who to take my place and when, but there was no fear of me being kicked out.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Everyone knew we were interested in moving...but when it started working out we went on radio silence. Told nobody. After all the details were in place we went ahead and broke the news.

My wife has sworn me to secrecy until our visa application comes back, she is worried that we tell everyone and something happens and we dont get the visa!! We've told the kids (had to) and my aunt and uncle as my uncles brothers lie in Oz and we spoke to him on Skype when we first decided to move to get an idea from someone actually living out there (this was before I found PIO). I understand what you mean about being able to tell someone when you get the good news on each stage.

Skills submitted Vettassess 23-09-11 Positive return 29-11-11, IELTS 9th Nov R8.5 L8.5 W8 S9 overall 8.5, WA SS applied 05-12-11 WA SS granted 13-12-11 176 Visa submitted 13-12-11 CO appointed 04-01-11, Visa Granted 27-01-12 :biggrin:

We are similar Fabricator - Hubby has own business and clients don't like to think you might let them down (not that he would, and never has in 20 years in business, but people are funny), and they think you are closing due to going bust, so lose more confidence in you.

We told my parents from the beginning, because they live overseas anyway, so its not really much different for them, and we told my brother and sister in law, because we are close to them. We didn't tell hubby's family for quite a while as we didn't want to put the cat out without reason incase it didn't happen.

We seriously didn't tell my work, only my very close friend at work and no-one else, and now I am extremely glad we didn't until I handed in my notice, as my boss started a mental smear campaign against me and my husband and started stalking me on-line, bullying and harassing me and my husband and basically has made our lives hell since she found out. I dread to think what would have happened if she had found out any earlier tbh.

A large percentage of our friends are connected to Hubby's work as well, so we couldn't tell them, although I told my best friend.

It's hard to tell people I think before you get the visa in your hand as it can all go wrong and then you're left with egg on your face if you've told too many people, people who aren't that close to you for eg - and I think our visa was about as certain as they can be (that is not a brag, we were just very lucky with the July changes lining everything up very much in our favour and me being a Secondary School STEM teacher) so even then we didn't want to tell people for that reason - you never know if you will fail the medical for eg (unlikely generally, but you never know what life has in store...).

Don't think you are letting anyone down by not telling them though - tbh unless people have seriously thought about it themselves they don't know what the visa process entails and therefore you can always say something to people along the lines of 'well, I never knew if it would actually come off or not' (which I guess is the truth really). And at the end of the day - you have to do what's best for you in life, or you can never be there for others - as harsh as it sounds charity really does start at home :) As long as you aren't planning on tipping your lodgers out with a couple of days notice, don't call your close friends/family members from Oz and go 'guess what?' or let any clients down, I don't think its anything bad to leave it until later rather than sooner to tell people.

And as you say, you've got people here to share news with - we certainly used Poms in Adelaide a lot to share the joy with, it was really nice to be able to do that.

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

Hey all,

As title suggests . Im sure a lot of people arnt telling their current employer that theyre potentially jumping ship but is anyone doing the process in virtual secrecy??

My best mate knows , my mum and dad know and one other friend , but thats it !!!!!

Not even my sister ........................ absoloutly no one .

I constantly feel bad as i feel like im lying to everyone :unsure: playing down things like holiday invites and things planned for next year , and when i do finally tell people then i'll be getting it in the neck for not telling them in the first place .:sad:

I have my reasons , My business for starters , i havto earn the pennies and work is so scarce at the mo, one whiff of me shutting down and my clients will simply go elsewhere ,

I also have a couple of lodgers and this helps with the house bills , id be re-posessed without the additional income and cant tell them for fear they'll look for somewhere else straight away.

And sadly not telling anyone means i cant share my excitement and journey from initial agent enquiries through to waiting for the visa approval and finally booking that plane ticket .

If im honest i feel excited in myself for the whole adventure and new start of it all , but sad for letting my friends and those around me down , and at times quite alone in the world .

Ive decided to potentially let the cat out of the bag when i submit to DIAC , but that could quite possibly be April or later .....

Thank god u guys are here , id quite simply be going nuts without POI :notworthy:

lee

You have told the right people who mean a lot to you , your parents and your best mate who else need to know your business??? To hell with them all, they give out about you when your alive and give out about you when your dead! Live life up on one wheel Joey Dunlop style :cool:

Feck em all :) Look forward not backwards :) thats what i say :jiggy:

Cheers for the comments guys , Nice one fergal , Dunlop was a true hero of mine :-)

I find the hardest thing is keeping my own gob shut ,

Those stupid fosters adverts come on the TV and i nearly always say something like " that'll be me in 6 months " !!

luckily im doing a lot of building work at tho mo so keep out of everyones way, im sure most of my mates think im dead :-) , haha

lee

IELTS 08/10/11 8.5/8.5/7.5/9...8.5 O/A, VETASSESS 15/11/11,level 1 pass 19/12/11,practical 25/02/12, results 21/03/12, WA SS 04/04/2012,Approved 30/04/12,DIAC 18/05/2012, CO 28/05/12, PC's 30/05/12, meds 01/06/12 PCC 19/06/12 , VISA Granted 21/06/12......