Gumtree Private Rentals Safe?

pommysteve

I can Relax now can I?

1. Qantas just told me my flights payment hadn't gone through - 7 days after booking on phone!

2. Child Visa not granted yet so now applying for 6 month temp one otheriwise she can't come.

3. UK economy is broken, can't borrow £15k when I have 230k Equity meaning we're skint and now facing having to sell up whilst paying for everything on credit cards at a stupid percentage!

4. My foot hurts!

I can't wait to get there so I'll stop being a whinging Pom! Thank god for POI sanity!!

Guest The Pom Queen
I can Relax now can I?

1. Qantas just told me my flights payment hadn't gone through - 7 days after booking on phone!

2. Child Visa not granted yet so now applying for 6 month temp one otheriwise she can't come.

3. UK economy is broken, can't borrow £15k when I have 230k Equity meaning we're skint and now facing having to sell up whilst paying for everything on credit cards at a stupid percentage!

4. My foot hurts!

I can't wait to get there so I'll stop being a whinging Pom! Thank god for POI sanity!!

Lol don't worry it will all fall in to place, eventually:yes::wacko:

Guest The Pom Queen
Thank you one and all.

Let us know how you go on, make sure you sleep with a rolling pin under your pillow in case your Aussie landlord is a little strange:unsure: only joking:hug::wubclub:

Thank you all.

I have now recieved proof of ID all linked to the rental property address:

Drivers license

Medicare

Fishing permit

Vodafone bill

I think at some point I have to take a leap of faith, eh?

just a quick note steve ...apart from the fishing permit :biggrin:....i have all the other things registered at this address ....but i dont own this house :wideeyed:

mrs keily

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't need to prove he owns it, I just need to find him if it goes wrong so I can wring his neck! :)

Maybe still ask for a rates notice from either the rental or is own property as long as it's in his name you will know where to find him lol x

Guest mandi1971

Be very careful, we did this when we came home from Canada a few years ago. The guy didnt want payment but wanted proof of funds. I send £1600 to my mam via western union and emailed this guy a copy of the receipt as proof that i had the money. He used this receipt and was somehow able to cash the money, even though youre supposed to have 2 forms of ID, to cash the money, and i'd said it was to be cashed in Newcastle, yet he cashed it in London :mad:

It was a stupid thing to do and ive learnt a harsh lesson through it.

If i send any payments now i use paypal.

Ive also contacted people via gumtree as there are some great bargains on there but id only hand money over face to face or through a friend in Perth or something like that.

Good luck

Guest The Pom Queen
Be very careful, we did this when we came home from Canada a few years ago. The guy didnt want payment but wanted proof of funds. I send £1600 to my mam via western union and emailed this guy a copy of the receipt as proof that i had the money. He used this receipt and was somehow able to cash the money, even though youre supposed to have 2 forms of ID, to cash the money, and i'd said it was to be cashed in Newcastle, yet he cashed it in London :mad:

It was a stupid thing to do and ive learnt a harsh lesson through it.

If i send any payments now i use paypal.

Ive also contacted people via gumtree as there are some great bargains on there but id only hand money over face to face or through a friend in Perth or something like that.

Good luck

Oh Mandi I'm so sorry to hear this, unfortunately you weren't the first and probably won't be the last, at least with PayPal you have some come back.