Gumtree Private Rentals Safe?

pommysteve

Hi,

Due to the lack of short term rentals available in January I have contacted someone on Gumtree and agreed to rent their rental house for a month. Is this safe?

They've agreed to only charge 2 weeks up front and accept a Bond upon arrival instaed of sending up front but I'm worried that I could end up with nowhere to live upon arrival?!

Just looking for some reassurance really?

Is there anything I could ask to prove who they are/own the property?

Thanks,

Steve.

Guest Guest31881

Do you have a home phone number from them, and not just a mobile. if you know their names and address you could check the white pages directory to see if the name and address with the phone number match up.

Guest Guest31881
Thanks,

I haven't sent any money yet and they are emailing me their drivers license as a goodwill gesture...

Australian Driving licenses are often used as ID, It should have a photo on the front and an address as well, probably on the rear.

Thanks,

I haven't sent any money yet and they are emailing me their drivers licence as a goodwill gesture...

i would very be very cautious ....a driving licence doesnt prove they own the house .....especially if they are supposedly rentin it then their address may show different on their licence .....gumtree is full of scammers ......cant u book a hotel for the first few days and check this place out in person ? ....sorry but dont think i would be sending any money :wideeyed:

mrs keily

Guest VickyMel

We looked at gumtree when we first arrived - there were some totally genuine and at least one that was very dodgy and I am sure was a scam.

I like Cal's idea.

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately I have seen quite a few people ripped off with Gumtree, one family who paid their money and arrived to find the old lady in the house had no idea what was going on and had never advertised her property.

Last year I had 3 families contact me who had been ripped off from gumtree. It's a shame as there will be genuine owners on there as well.

Take a look here:

http://write.keinism.com/?p=994

http://www.theage.com.au/national/online-scammers-target-desperate-melbourne-renters-20080714-3es1.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/house-and-home/property/the-flat-that-never-was-how-the-rental-market-became-an-attractive-target-for-fraudsters-2131753.html

Personally if it was me I wouldn't touch any properties on gumtree, if you do then as the other posters have mentioned, get a copy of their driving license, utility bill and rates notice.

Guest VickyMel
We looked at gumtree when we first arrived - there were some totally genuine and at least one that was very dodgy and I am sure was a scam.

I like Cal's idea.

To follow on from my earlier comment - the dodgy one sounded a really friendly, great and a genuine person - but was so amazingly dodgy once I looked further. We were after something short term in the city as we did not want to outstay our welcome with friends but not yet sure where we wanted to stay.

Also one place we went to look at advertised on gum tree sounded wonderful but gosh when we saw it it was really awful and the neighbours..?

You also have the situation where often old photos of the place are used, we noticed this with some of the longer term rentals some looked a lot better back then!

Can you get someone to check it out for you? or if it is really short term and you are really short of options - not paying too much up front there is limited monetary loss, you have to weigh up the importance of if it is a dud - and just have another option at hand in case you need a hotel on landing?

We advertise on Gumtree and we are definitely genuine! That said, it is really important to check everything out. If you can get someone to have a look at the property (not just from the street either, but inside) then that definitely counts for something. We do this often for people who are still in their home country, who have friends or family in Perth, and it's not a problem for us to organise a viewing.

Guest The Pom Queen
No we don't have anyone who can have a look.

I think all I can do is get some form of ID of the landlord and the property?

Sounds good and try not to part with any money until you get there:wubclub:

At least he's agreed I can pay the Bond(which I assume is refundable) when I get there and he's given me some of his background. He also says he lives in the same street so if I can verify that I'd feel happier! Just don't want to sound so untrusting when he could be legitimate and get the hump!

Is there no way he will accept the money on arrival? Surely he will understand that you are concerned about transferring money overseas to someone you don't know. :-)

Guest The Pom Queen
At least he's agreed I can pay the Bond(which I assume is refundable) when I get there and he's given me some of his background. He also says he lives in the same street so if I can verify that I'd feel happier! Just don't want to sound so untrusting when he could be legitimate and get the hump!

I'm sure any genuine property owner will know of the scams around, and will understand, why not give them a link to this thread or the ones where others have fallen for scams.

Guest The Pom Queen
To be honest, i'm not concerned about the money(he only wants 2 weeks rent up front as a deposit anyway - $1200). It's landing with a child and finding I've got nowhere to live!

Just make sure you have some numbers of hotels and caravan parks, as long as you get id etc I'm sure you will be fine, but it's better being safe than sorry

Guest The Pom Queen
Did I mention we arrive new years eve? Just for added spice!

Lol, ok make sure you get the number of the local camp shop where you can buy a tent:wink::wubclub:

Guest Guest31881
Thank you all.

I have now recieved proof of ID all linked to the rental property address:

Drivers license

Medicare

Fishing permit

Vodafone bill

I think at some point I have to take a leap of faith, eh?

Yep, all you are missing now is the dental impression for comparison and its all done. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I do not think you could really get any better reassurance. It does get to the point where you have to accept everything.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thank you all.

I have now recieved proof of ID all linked to the rental property address:

Drivers license

Medicare

Fishing permit

Vodafone bill

I think at some point I have to take a leap of faith, eh?

That's great news, you can't get anymore, scammers wouldn't provide all that, so sit back and relax now and have a great trip over:hug: