S & N Civils open day

WeegieDave

Do you know what is involved in gaining WA accreditation for Dave's competencies? I'm not sure how it translates, I haven't had a need to check it out - there are some specific skill shortages over this side of the country but we don't bring in lots of foreign workers over here, no massive need for that sort of skilled trade

Our company is advertising for quite a lot of machine operators for jobs in WA, most of them FIFO, but the way the ads are worded it looks like they are expecting Aussies or at least people with Aussie tickets. If it's an easy task to transfer competencies to WA then I'm sure there's tons of work out there if you can make it over on your own. Not really followed your story so don't know if that's feasible or not

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mrs keily has told us we need to do a few courses over in oz to covert them to the oz standard, to be honest im not too clued up on the tickets. But when we spoke to migration agents and other job companies they tell us that we need to find our own way over ie. working holiday visa or student visa. Daves too old for a whv as hes 34, we've been told by mining companies etc that they're all trying to change the rules for excavator operators to be put on the 457 list but surely if they were all so desperate for them it would be put on the list by now. I found a job advertisement from blue tongue looking for operators and it mentioned "relocation and sponsorship" but when they got back to me they said they had been told to start a new scheme where they bring normal truck drivers over from the eastcoast and train them up to be dumptruck drivers in the mines. :err: even he said it was completely crazy that they cant bring them over from the Uk but thats the way it seems to be.

Talk of them hiring 250 seems unlikely/optimistic as that would be a lot of people for a company of that size, but it's possible I guess if they've picked up 2 or 3 big jobs, and/or are expanding into a new geographical area. But look at that figure I thumbed in up there - $3.75m would represent pretty much their entire operating profit for a year. Doesn't sound very likely, does it?

The number of 250 came straight from the horses mouth. I really don't imagine the 250 people will all be employed from the UK though. I imagine he will initially try employ on his doorstep then get people over on visa thereafter.

Talk of them hiring 250 seems unlikely/optimistic as that would be a lot of people for a company of that size, but it's possible I guess if they've picked up 2 or 3 big jobs, and/or are expanding into a new geographical area. But look at that figure I thumbed in up there - $3.75m would represent pretty much their entire operating profit for a year. Doesn't sound very likely, does it?

The number of 250 came straight from the horses mouth. I really don't imagine the 250 people will all be employed from the UK though. I imagine he will initially try employ on his doorstep then get people over on visa thereafter.

Not sure of your figures mate, 10% of $185m is $18.5m, ie 100x the $185K figure - but at 250x£5K that figure should have been £1.25m. Still 10x that figure. However, relocations cost a fair bit more than that, depends on the package of course but to bring over a senior staff person you'd be lucky to get much change out of $30K after paying for visa, flights, shipping, temporary accommodation (would be normal for staff) plus on-costs associated with administering all of that. Not sure what sort of package they'd give tradies but let's say $15K a head is the minimum for relocations. So bringing over 250 people is going to cost roughly $3.75m.

Margins are healthier here and a gross margin of about 10% would be about right for a concreting subbie. Of that I'd expect them to make an operating profit of about 5 or 6%. Can't find much financial information (it's privately owned so there's not much in the public domain) but the best I can find is their annual turnover is in the $50m sort of range

Hope I've not baffled you with bull****, just tried to cast a bit of perspective. Keep on looking as there are plenty of jobs out there especially in WA, we are really struggling to man our jobs over that way (I work for a large construction co.).

Head must have been up my **rse that day but it backs up what I thought no way they can afford to offer relocation costs for 250 people.