Can we survive

Guest macas

Hey Guys

My head is pounding. I have been shortlisted for a position in Perth. The lowest wage is $72k. Can myself, wife and 2 children along with in laws afford to live on this wage. My wife will look for admin work once the children are settled in. It's really doing my head in as one site there was nothing but doom mongerers with nothing good to say about Australia except how expensive it was.

Any stories of how its going for people that have just moved over would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Guys

My head is pounding. I have been shortlisted for a position in Perth. The lowest wage is $72k. Can myself, wife and 2 children along with in laws afford to live on this wage. My wife will look for admin work once the children are settled in. It's really doing my head in as one site there was nothing but doom mongerers with nothing good to say about Australia except how expensive it was.

Any stories of how its going for people that have just moved over would be greatly appreciated.

I would say it would be a struggle if that is your sole income. How are you inlaws getting here, are they sponsored and are you having to use your wage for them too? Break down your rent, car, expenses and it may be a tad tough. But hey, people live on less but you will be living week to week and even though the weather is better, will the lifestyle be compared to where you are at the moment?

Guest Claire101

A good rule of thumb is that you need $2.2 to £1 to maintain a similar standard of living, on this basis you are looking at surviving on the equivalent of £32,700. I hope that helps?!

I'd say that will be darn tough to live on....and you'll need to have a good amount of cash put aside to get started as well. We blew through nearly $20K getting all set up....car down payment, bond on rental, car insurance and rego, utilities set up, furniture, school fees ($4500 a kid per year), etc. On just my wife's income alone we would have had about $400 a month extra....she's making better than twice what your offer is (not trying to talk up her salary, just needed to let you know for reference). Thankfully I got a job quickly. If you are coming on PR it will be easier....no cost for insurance or shcool for the kiddos. That offer sounds better if they will sponsor PR.

Hey Guys

Perth is expensive no way round that. $72k is not a lot but of course you will survive. Also in time when your wife finds employment the pressure will substantially ease.

There are people on far less. Money should not be the deciding factor in my opinion on your move.

A lot of folk are better off staying put that being the case. A lot depends on the sort of visa as well. Perhaps more important is the desire to experience another way of living and often with a degree of luck things do fall into place.

Always suggest to people to not burn their bridges to allow a return if it doesn't work out.

Australia is expensive, but there are ways to save money.

Live further out (if you're not working in the city centre, there's no need to live close by).

Try to find a place within walking distance of schools/shops or on a bus line to these, such that you can get by with just one car.

Food: ready made stuff is expensive in Australia, so if you're used to buying jars of sauce etc, you may want to get used to making these from scratch. It doesn't take much more time and will save loads of money.

Try to buy your meat and veg from the markets, or get veg/meat boxes from your local shops. These generally contain whatever's in season/available in bulk, so work out cheaper, and are generally better quality food than you get in the supermarkets.

We got a bread machine. Home-made pizza is significantly cheaper than shop-bought or take-away.

By doing these things I feed two adults on $300 a month, would be less if I wasn't working full time and had more time to put into it and a bigger freezer. (and I love my food, so I'm not one to scrimp on quality/treats)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it is possible to survive on this wage, but don't expect a luxury lifestyle. As Claire says, it's about the equivalent of living off GBP33k in the UK, which many people do. And once your wife starts work too, then you'll be fine.

Guest joannehancock

Hi there we have just moved out here from england 2 weeks ago. food and stuff is very expensive, white goods and beds etc are reasonable, just need to look around. Our rent is 1900.00 dollers a month, around standard rate for where we are, plus bills on top, tv is around 75 a month gas around 50 not sure a bout much else yet our car insurance is 75 a month. I think on 75k you lookin at around 4,200 dollers a month ? maybe a little more or less on a flat rate hope this helps ?

Thank you all for your replys. I am a Fabricator/Welder(Boilermaker). I am just waiting for a phone call to work in the mines. 72K was the lesser of the 3 wages quoted. I have read that after your first year your wages go up just really a trial. The wife is an Admin assisstant. She has not worked since Gabriel our first son was born (5) and Ethan (3). My wife is an only child so her parents want to go the con parent route. Her dad is a brickie and have been told that once over there if he could find someone to sponsor him he can work.(It's easier over in Oz to find the right people). Complicated i know.

Thanks