You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest jacsgreaves

how long does it take for containers to get through customs once the ship arrives??

Guest jacsgreaves

Hi

We have been in Sydney for 8 weeks now and our ship docked yesterday, I wondered how long it took for the containers to arrive at the door??? I am desperate to have all our things around us, and my son needs to have all his toys etc.......

We are really hoping to be in our house for Christmas as we are staying in a serviced apartments and its driving us mad!!!:goofy:

would be great to hear of others experiances with this :biggrin:

Ours took over 2 weeks from the time it arrived in Sydney, it depends how long customs decide to take and you have xmas coming too. fingers crossed you get it before the new year.

Ours took 3 weeks to get through customs, then another 2 for the delivery agents to actually bring it to us, so 5 in total. And I had to do all the chasing!

We got our stuff last Friday - so nice to see all my familiar things again!

Hope yours comes through quickly.

StS

Guest jacsgreaves

Thanks very much for the information..............fingers crossed we are as lucky as you guys!!!

Guest cazbeckham

our stuff left UK on 26th October and we got it on 7th Jan and it was only 40 boxes

Guest MontyClaude

Ours arrived in a Wed and was delivered to us on Sat week. We had no issues with customs or quarantine. Hopefully you get your things soon :)

Guest jacsgreaves

Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would update, our things get delivered next wednesday so we will be in our new home for Christmas!!!! Hooray!!!!

Have a very merry Christmas everyone xxx

Guest MontyClaude

Congrats and great timing! We'd moved into our house 2 weeks before our stuff arrived, I've never been so pleased to see my bed and my sofa in my life!

Ours took two weeks and 2 days, which seems about par for the course from what I can see

"Customs" is a catch all excuse I have worked out the agents use to cover up other delays. Shippers/agents will have you believe that the 1-3 weeks it takes from the ship docking to you getting your stuff is down to customs/quarantine. It isn't

The process works like this: The ship docks and the port unload the containers that are due to be disembarked at that port, and check against their documents before releasing the containers for pick up. This takes 1-4 days depending how big the ship is, how busy the port is, how many containers there are to unload and how sensibly it has been loaded in the first place

Once the containers have been released by the port, your customs bonded agent picks them up and takes them to their warehouse for unloading. This takes them 1-4 days depending on how busy they are and how they have prioritised their work

Then they unpack your container (they have to do this anyway, to send the empty one back to the port). This takes them 1-3 days, depending on how busy they are

Only then, after they have unpacked, do they call in AQIS to do their inspection. The AQIS inspection from notification takes at most 2-3 days for them to get to the goods, and at most 2 days to carry out. In most cases it takes them 3 days for the whole period between being notified they can inspect, and clearing (or not!) your stuff

Then the agents schedule in your delivery. Can take them anything from 1-10 days

Customs clearance is largely a paperwork exercise and carried out in parallel - unless they smell a rat.

So this whole "it takes weeks and that's all down to customs and quarantine" is a crock. Most of the variable time is dependent on how busy your agent is, what they've prioritised, and whether or not they're any good.

I don't mind that, fwiw. 2 weeks to get your kit seems reasonable (4 isn't, though!). I just wish they were more honest about it

Ours took 3 weeks to get through customs, then another 2 for the delivery agents to actually bring it to us, so 5 in total. And I had to do all the chasing!

We got our stuff last Friday - so nice to see all my familiar things again!

Hope yours comes through quickly.

StS

Whoa that is a long time.... Can I ask who you were using please?