Rent furniture for few weeks?

Nicole Eire

Hi all, hoping someone can help. We will land 1st Jan and we have our new rented house ready for us. Our container with our own furniture will arrive 1st or 2nd week of feb and we will need to get by til then - bed, washing machine etc. Is it possible to rent any of these for a few weeks only? Any website I've looked at has a min 12 month rental :eek:

Launderette for a few weeks, air/camping beds, outdoor setting and chairs as dining table which you will more than likely need later for it's intended use. Picnic crockery and cutlery, again, you can use later for it's intended use. Sounds a drag but time soon flies.

Where are you living for the first few weeks? Unless you have managed to sort our permanent accommodation before you leave, you may find yourself in a furnished holiday let for a week or two anyway...it's not an immediate process to get into a leased place--besides the looking, there's also the time taken by reference checks etc.

This might make the "roughing it" period short enough to be tolerable.

Launderette for a few weeks, air/camping beds, outdoor setting and chairs as dining table which you will more than likely need later for it's intended use. Picnic crockery and cutlery, again, you can use later for it's intended use. Sounds a drag but time soon flies.

Unfortunately most furniture hire compays want to tie you in for 12 months, any less and the rent costs are extorinate.

Could you not buy cheap second hand to tide you over? or use air beds ?

Cal x

This is exactly what we had planned to do, somebody just mentioned to me about renting the furniture as a cheaper alternative, thought I'd ask the experts:wink:

Thanks guys.

Where are you living for the first few weeks? Unless you have managed to sort our permanent accommodation before you leave, you may find yourself in a furnished holiday let for a week or two anyway...it's not an immediate process to get into a leased place--besides the looking, there's also the time taken by reference checks etc.

This might make the "roughing it" period short enough to be tolerable.

Hi there, I know it's the exception to the rule, but we have our permanent accommodation sorted. Staying with family first two nights. We're renting from OH employer, so move in to our house and start paying rent on the 3rd - so lucky we don't have the stress of trying to find accommodation. OH was in the house in April so we know exactly what we're getting:biggrin:

I may have missed it but where are you heading to? I put a plea up on here and managed to get the loan of some beds, crockery mini fridge which was so helpful when we first arrived. Sites like freecycle & Gumtree have little gems pop up most days I got a washing machine off freecycle - a bit battered but it worked. We even managed to pass it on to one of the guys who delivered our container. I did start a PIO 'loan' thread up a few weeks after we arrived for just this kind of thing but sorry to say it died a death. I would say post on Poms and I'm sure a lot of people here have doubles of things like kettles, toasters, corckery,bedding, airbeds and be able to help you out for a few weeks. Word of warning though if using airbeds make sure you put a blanket under the bottom sheet - we didn't the first night and it was sooooo cold we hardly slept! Good luck with your move

Guest lol1984

Our shipping has been delayed for 8 weeks due to various problems. We would have had it by now but now have to wait another 8 weeks (we have already been here 2 months). We bought a bed (as we are only bringing one other over which will be the spare bed), a fridge (aren't bringing one anyway), some beanbags (though getting pretty sick of these!), and a tv! Glad we got the TV, I would have been bored witless spending 3 months without one. It was a vivo one from Dick Smiths, $400 so pretty cheap for a 40". We also bought a BBQ and borrowed a dining table and chairs from a friend. And we've been using the launderette which isn't too much of a drama, at least the wash cycles are very quick.

If you think about it creatively you will be able to make a list of things that you don't already own. Then go and buy them starting with the most necessary (i.e. probably a bed). If you're going to a larger city you may have the luxury of an Ikea, we are in Kalgoorlie so have to scrape by with Harvey Norman and Comfort Style. For the kitchen we bought a box of cheap crockery and pack of kitchen utensils from K-mart - equipped the kitchen for about $70 apart from a frying pan. The one in the box was so bad I had to get a better quality one!

For the kitchen we bought a box of cheap crockery and pack of kitchen utensils from K-mart - equipped the kitchen for about $70 apart from a frying pan. The one in the box was so bad I had to get a better quality one!

Dito - did the job forme for a few weeks and is now in my 'lend to newly landed Poms box' :smile: