Guest Gothic Rose

Some people are more equal than others

Guest Gothic Rose

I didn't want to highjack Woodyds thread. So I'm starting a new one. Whilst reading around online news in general I came across this...

Legislation allowing gay people to hold civil partnerships in places of worship could be derailed by a group of Tory MPs and peers

I think it's wrong in this day & age that there is still so much inequality, it's barking mad . The average Hetrosexual person is probably not even aware of half the things The LGBT population face. This article already states that religious venues have an option where they may op out of performing Civil Partnership Ceremonies so why the need for more legislation.

I had clients who are a lovely couple these men have been in a relationship for fifty years, imagine thats an incredible thing in itself but when you think for the first ten years of their relationship they were illegal & could've been sent to prison. After fifty years they had a civil partnership because it meant their wills could actually be the way they wanted instead of family inheriting in the place of their partner.

Those of us in Hetrosexual marriages get to take so much for granted. While we are gaining licences to marry in ever more outlandish places. There are those within government position trying to make Civil partnerships even less equal now trying to legislate where such cermonies can be performed, even though every religious venue already has an opt out available. I think if you are a gay person who follows a religous faith this must be even worse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/02/gay-partnerships-churches-threat_n_1125704.html

I agree to some extent but when it comes to a religious ceremony then I guess its charted waters, that is the ideals of the religion take precedence over our rights. So if we do not agree with them we cannot expect them to change for us. So civil union is fine, after all praying is free, and it can be done anywhere if faith is a person's thing.

I believe also that when people are different they cannot expect all in mainstream to like what they are doing and some feel the need to show their dislike. Its democracy and they are entitled.

My brother is gay and he will not be wedding his partner never wanted to, accepts the difference.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest Gothic Rose

As I said in my OP, the opt out for religious venues has always been in place, some religious venues are more tolerant than others. thats their establish perogative. What I'm questioning is why the need for extra legislation when the option to refuse already exists.

The fact that some LGBT people don't wish to marry is no different than the fact some Hetrosexual people don't wish to marry. Thats up to the couple.

Some persons are perfectly happy living their way regardless of mainstream norms. But there are lots of people who don't want to be pushed into margins when they are very mainstream in their lifestyle & beliefs but just happen to have a different sexual orientation. I don't think they should be legislated against by governments, they still vote , pay taxes , & fulfill the same roles in society as everyone else. My argument is nothing to do with the religions there views are known. My point is why make laws deterimental to a section of the community ?

Guest Guest31881

Marrying in Church has always been something I wonder about. I am on my second marriage and always married in a register office, I am not deeply religious so I was not bothered about a church wedding.

Now I see people get married in churches every week. They only visit a Church to be Baptised, Married or Buried. However the Churches will allow these people to use their church to marry.

If the Churches do not want "gay marriages" in their churches because it goes against their faith, then they should also ban the people who do not believe in a god but marry in church because it is the right thing to do.

Churches refuse to marry gay couples because it is contrary to their beliefs (The church's) but should they also then ban the non believers or people who do not attend church for the same reason. You have gay couples who believe in god and are devout Christians being denied something that a non believing atheist would be allowed to do. Is it just me or is that being a bit hypocritical.

I think religious gay people should be able to marry in church but a lot of straight religious people within the church will say god doesn't agree with it and it's not acceptable according to the Bible blah blah blah. But then if god is real he shouldn't/doesn't be judging anyone anyway and therefor wouldn't mind gay people marrying in the church. so really it's just the other religious people running the church that have the problem. Using god as an excuse.

Oh and I also think non religious people shouldn't marry in church either. I'm not religious and don't plan on getting married in one...I'd like to get married on a beach or somewhere unusual. Luckily Paul agrees with me :P

SRP you make a good point. The Uniting Church is one of the churches which as been fairly gay supportive. As you say, I know several people who are non believers but get married in a church because they are either pleasing parents who want it or believe it is 'the' place to get married.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

i was going to find a good one, but tbh, most of them are great, so clicky linky :)

http://www.ranker.com/list/god-is-an-epic-troll-the-best-of-the-advice-god-meme/robert-wabash

i guess its dodgy for the LGBT debate, but funny all the same.

im sure someone will find a loophole in the contract like book known as the bible for these unions to be part of the big mans plan. history proves the bible to be updatable anyway, think we're on version 2.3 at the moment. maybe someone could come up with a catchy name for it.

When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me. ... and I got it!

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Guest Gothic Rose

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far....

What this has all really sparked in my mind is that why does there have to be a distinction between people ? Once again I'm not talking about the religious argument but the political, why does any government have to legislate against a section of the community at all. Surely that promotes a Them & Us attitude towards LGBT people, as I said before these people still pay taxes & are voters, they still have to go to work & do all the same things every other person has to. So why do governments want this idea that some people are superior to others. Surely thats what it means if they have to create separate laws depending on how someone leads their sex life. How would it be if the majority of society had to fill out somekind of census thing ticking off what sexual things they did with their partner & according to ones answers there were laws governing where you could marry, the degree of marriage you got, & various other aspects of your life where weighed up according to those answers. Because thats basically what happens to those within the LGBT community. I don't think the idea of superiority benefits society.

Guest guest37336

Personally Rose I'm awaiting the 'new' version of the bible, 'they' must have had a chance to write it by now.:eek:

Waiting to see what other spheres of our lives they can look down upon.:cool:

....How would it be if the majority of society had to fill out somekind of census thing ticking off what sexual things they did with their partner & according to ones answers there were laws governing where you could marry, the degree of marriage you got, & various other aspects of your life where weighed up according to those answers....

That's a really interesting point. Of course some of the more controlling and inadequate people in some religions try to do those census on others but it has no place in govt.

Guest guest37336

Government of all dispositions have no right to legislate on 'human' emotion, not ever.:no:

By trying to block certain people getting 'married' and the like they are doing exactly what some accuse the 'gays' of doing, ramming 'it' down peoples throats.

I have never in my time felt as though the gay community are trying enforce their will on mine, and I have lived and worked amongst many of them.

It is their right to be treated as 'individuals' who just happened to be born with a different perspective on sexuality, and if this means taking their grievances to the streets then,:notworthy::notworthy:

Uganda at the present time are trying and have to a degree 'enforced' a law where ALL gay relationships are illegal, AND if ANYONE knows of a gay relationship and do not tell the authorities then they face some almighty wrath and jail terms.

Sad state of affairs all round.:mad:

Guest guest37336

As my dear old MIL :mad: used to say:

'There must be a pill 'they' can take'.:goofy::goofy::biglaugh::no:

Guest guest37336

I feel sorry for the poor old folks on the Rainbow Warrior Rose.

Not only dirty 'greenies' but also all gay as well.:mad:

screen-shot-2011-10-25-at-10-59-56.png

gay-flag.jpg

Guest Gothic Rose
As my dear old MIL :mad: used to say:

'There must be a pill 'they' can take'.:goofy::goofy::biglaugh::no:

Unfortunately some people think like that, & there has long been experiments to " cure" Homeosexuals shock therapy, aversion therapy, various other psychological brainwashers & much more, besides executions in some countries & imprisonment in this & other countries.

Now imagine if you happened to have a particular Kink or the way you had sex & the way you felt emotionally towards another was either legislated against or looked down upon by society surely this should be a private matter. Not a measure of your value to a society. I think the majority are oblivious to these issues because it's happening to someone else. It doesn't touch their lives directly, if you're born hetrosexual you just go through life in a majority & never consider how things might be if your way of life & sexual practices were questioned. We are lucky if the law happens to "be on our side" . But I keep saying why should there be a side at all. isn't it outdated to discriminate based on what someone does sexually. No one says you have to join in.

It's all very well when in a position of priveledge get to take that for granted. But these laws can affect your children, brothers, sisters & friends. All the time we say oh I know gay people etc etc, they pay the same tax as you but have a whole load of different laws against them, they are not so different from you but governments keep them different through legislation.

As you rightly say above;

"Government of all dispositions have no right to legislate on 'human' emotion, not ever.:no:"

Guest sh7t man no way

what ever form of love takes over your life the church should have nothing to do with the law of the land:mad:as an atheist i see this as a form of blackmail to make you something your not:no:but that's religion

I dont think people have a "right" to be prejudiced against people that are different. I dont think thats a democratic right I think its a bigoted out dated ignorant pile of sh!t