Mining, labor shortage what visa ??

Guest flaco06man

Guest flaco06man

Hello everyone:biggrin:.

Just looking for and honest answer. I am looking for work in one of the mines in Au.

Is there a career(FIFO) there for me? I'm a U.S. citizen with 25 years of experience in heavy equipment operating and management. very reliable and willing to travel. Any suggestions?

Guest Guest31881

I think the first thing you need to do is find out if you are eligible for a visa, take a look at the visa wizard to find your chances.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

If you are able to quality for a visa then you need to decide how to proceed forwards. You may need company or state sponsorship, You could contact an agent to get a definitive answer on what your chances are for visa and what is the best way forwards. They may charge in the USA for a consultation but it could save you money in the long run.

I will also move this to to Migration forum and changed your title slightly to try and help, There members with more knowledge than I have may offer advice.

Guest flaco06man

Thanks! appreciate your ideas....Ive only been searching for a couple weeks now but it confuses me to read about the major labor shortages, attractive wages and a good working environment....And here I sit with many years of experience and desire.Hmmmm :shocked:

Thanks! appreciate your ideas....Ive only been searching for a couple weeks now but it confuses me to read about the major labor shortages, attractive wages and a good working environment....And here I sit with many years of experience and desire.Hmmmm :shocked:

if u mean u operate machinery as in excavators etc ....then im afraid at the mo there is nothing on the skills list to cover this ...unless u come in as a drainer .....which is the closest on the list ......if not then sponsorship is the only way in there are some companies offerin this but u would have to meet up with them in the uk ......if u read scottishstaceys posts u might get some more info ....her o/h is currently looking for a way in aswell ......as u say there is work available ...my o/h works in the mining industry as an excavator operator and they are crying out for workers ...but until its put on the skills list then there will continue to be a shortage :sad:

mrs keily

Guest flaco06man

Yeah im basically looking just to get my foot in the door. An operators position would be great. I have operated dozens of different types of equipment over the years. I don't think ive heard of a "skills list" before...hmmmm Im assuming that's a term in the company when they want to hire people right? If you or your husband could do a little asking around for me that would be so great....:wink:Hope you and your family is doing well...

Yeah im basically looking just to get my foot in the door. An operators position would be great. I have operated dozens of different types of equipment over the years. I don't think ive heard of a "skills list" before...hmmmm Im assuming that's a term in the company when they want to hire people right? If you or your husband could do a little asking around for me that would be so great....:wink:Hope you and your family is doing well...

the skills list is the very first thing u should be looking at if u intend to emigrate ....as it gives a list of what occupations are in demand ...and basically if ur not on that list then u may have a very long wait .... www.immi.gov.au ....as operators are not currently on the list the only way is sponsorship ......and at the moment there are very few ...infact basically only one or 2 companies that are offering this ....its more who u know rather than what u know ......it maybe worth ur while talking to and immigration agent who can assess ur skills and see whay visa might be appropriate :cute:

mrs keily

Guest flaco06man

Thank you again keily...There was nothing I saw on the skills list. I am starting to feel that the labor shortage in the mining industry is not really that big of an issue. I have applied directly,though job-sites etc.still nothing..maybe im going about this in the wrong way.

Anyway appreciate your input and happy holidays!!