Damage to property through wear and tear,

Ike

or more specifically time.

I was wondering you views on this guys.

A crack has appeared in the glass on our shower near the bottom. It started out very small, and of course is getting gradually bigger.

Now here's the thing, our apartment it what you could desribe is 'tired' Its by no means a dump, but lets just say it needs some TLC.

Now the glass at the bottom you can see has been holding water for years after you have a shower, turning the inside of the glass a bit mouldy. There is already a few chips in the glass, its evident this it what has started the crack.

Now the worry I have is that we didnt cause the crack even though it happened while we where here, and its only going to get bigger, eventually running the full height of the shower cubical.

We have an inspection in a couple of weeks, and im wondering if I should be straight up with the agent and just show them? On the basis of the condition of the apartment im hoping it will be seen as relative. I really dont want this to effect our bond in the long term.

Any thoughts? :idea:

Any wise landlord gets a depreciation survey done which gives you a tax break on the life of the fittings, so technically wear and tear is already paid for, however, I can see that system could get abused by landlords taking the depreciation and not using it to replace worn fittings. Be open with the agent; from what you've described it would be very hard to get a screen to crack like that through abuse and hope like hell you have a straight landlord

Guest Guest16631

...........take a photo and put in writing what and how it has happened.........and take it to the agent ... as soon as............best to draw their attention to faults [from my experience]......most landlords are fine when you are honest..................good luck

Letting the agent know if definitely the best way. When things broke in our tired house we never got charged for any of it but since leaving the agent has tried to take us for $100s for scratches on a polished floor in spite of the fact that this is also wear and tear. You wouldnt expect a carpet not to get worn out but they seem to expect you to float over a polished floor with your two kids and dog (that had permission to reside there!).

Be straight up and tell the agent. The landlord will or should have Landlords insurance to cover the broken screen, is it wired inside the glass??? if so they are renowned for cracking as metal and glass contract differently when heated. It could be a safety issue if left unrepaired.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just an update.

We emailed the agent some photos and explained the situation.

They phoned me today saying the landlord agrees and it will be arranged for a new panel to be put in.

Once again you all for your sound advice. PIO to the rescue again :)