You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest guest59177

Are you respecting the teachers?

OK. I'll tell you what my beef (to call it something) with this sort of thread is. In general, not just this one. From a personal POV, not a mod one.

a) The thread title is a question. OK, but.

b) I open thread and all I see is a link.

c) I've no clue or indication from the link as to what the subject might be (although the thread title does shed some light) nor is there anything from you, the OP as to give me anything to go on.

d) I like to discuss. Not just click a link posted. I can do that easily enough reading the news myself. And at least when I choose for myself I can make an informed decision beforehand as they post a proper headline and lead in to most stories on news websites, not just the headline.

e) If you want to start a conversation, you yourself need to post some thoughts, views, or at least give me the gist of the link so I can decide if I want to go on and actually read it. If I don't get that, 9 times out of 10 I won't even bother to hover over the link to view more, let alone even click it.

f) With your own words included in the original post, or even some from the link it at least makes it more appealing to then come back and attempt to discuss later. Give me context, make it relavent.

Just saying :cute:

Guest guest59177
OK. I'll tell you what my beef (to call it something) with this sort of thread is. In general, not just this one. From a personal POV, not a mod one.

a) The thread title is a question. OK, but.

b) I open thread and all I see is a link.

c) I've no clue or indication from the link as to what the subject might be (although the thread title does shed some light) nor is there anything from you, the OP as to give me anything to go on.

d) I like to discuss. Not just click a link posted. I can do that easily enough reading the news myself. And at least when I choose for myself I can make an informed decision beforehand as they post a proper headline and lead in to most stories on news websites, not just the headline.

e) If you want to start a conversation, you yourself need to post some thoughts, views, or at least give me the gist of the link so I can decide if I want to go on and actually read it. If I don't get that, 9 times out of 10 I won't even bother to hover over the link to view more, let alone even click it.

f) With your own words included in the original post, or even some from the link it at least makes it more appealing to then come back and attempt to discuss later. Give me context, make it relavent.

Just saying :cute:

But I try to create a sense of mysteriousness... you know create excitement and desire by holding back.... it's not turning out to be as s**y as I want it to be eh???? :embarrassed:

Sorry don't understand, what is your issue with teachers here? I don't really understand from the article - it seems to be putting across some points that some teachers have with some parents, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Or are you just spoiling for a fight again? In which case, get back under your bridge :(

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

Guest guest59177

Well, I have no issues with teachers. Here's what I am asking. As the article notes, some teachers (at least in America) are cribbing that parents become an hindrance to their teaching by being too protective of their children. They feel this leads to a situation where they lose respect in the eyes of the children. So my questions obviously are:

1. Do you think the kind of complains the 'Administrator of the year' is making about parents' behavior are justified? Do you think this should be classed as being 'over-protective'?

2. We know there is a problem in America with retaining teachers. How's the situation in Britain and Australia? If it is different, is it because teachers are allowed a heavier hand with children? If that is not the reason for the difference, then can someone suggest a plausible reason?

3. In general, what do you feel should be the level of discipline to which a teacher may subject a child?

I'll give some of my views. If I were a parent having a child whose teacher makes a complaint, I would first try to assess whether the teacher is being entirely impartial. As the article suggests, the child must not be interviewed in front of the teacher such that the teacher comes out in a bad light. If it is apparent that the teacher is making a valid complaint then I would give a lot of weightage to the teacher's recommendations. Regarding discipline, I would not mind if an impartial, fair-minded teacher disciplined my child within reasonable limits - hitting or other physical abuse would be crossing the line.

I think I should include this notice in my posts from now on: If you dislike a poster or his views, it doesn't automatically make him a troll :tongue:

But I try to create a sense of mysteriousness... you know create excitement and desire by holding back.... it's not turning out to be as s**y as I want it to be eh???? :embarrassed:

A complete mental turn off from where I am sitting :goofy: Doesn't do anything for me :nah:

Guest guest59177
A complete mental turn off from where I am sitting :goofy: Doesn't do anything for me :nah:

Ohhhh I can JUST imagine you saying 'Just don't!!!! OKAY???' :biggrin: :tongue: