and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Covkid

Some honest advice to all intending migrants to Aus

Guest Covkid

Hi All,

Been out here over 20 yrs and I have read some really disturbing threads and posts on the forum in the last couple of weeks so here's some simple good old common sense advice. You can take it or leave it but it's all from personal expierience and from people I know you have made the move here:

1. Are your skills required here? are they on the shortages list?? If not stop here, as you most likely will NOT get in. Try again in say 2 yrs time the list is updated quite often so keep looking if you have the 'bug'!!

2. Apply and go through the process, don't try and take shortcuts, go with the flow. Personally I don't have time for migration experts, but that's a choice you need to make. They DO NOT have a backdoor entrance they can sneak you thru, no matter what they tell you, they just do the paperwork side of things and charge you for It.

3. Wait for the answer, could be a long time coming,so sit back and wait, nothing will move the immigration people here any quicker or in the UK.

4. If you get in and are granted visas it's time to sell your house, car, any business you may have or are involved in. DO NOT keep any of these before you come out here, all of these are EXCESS BAGGAGE and will be like a rope around your neck. Get shot and and dispose of these. You are coming out here to live you can't keep a foot in each country. If you can't let go or are thinking of a 'lets try it and see' approach then the chances are you will not suceed as you'll be coming here with too much EMOTIONAL baggage. NOT GOOD for you or fair to AUSTRALIA, which has been good enough to give you a chance of a new life in a new country.

5. Once your ready book tickets and buy ONE WAYS ONLY. This will stop any temptation for you to go back and see the relatives in the first 12 months.

6. Book your removalists and get out here when you are ready.

7. Tell the relatives you'll see them again when THEY can afford to visit YOU. Not the other way round. You will need every $ you can earn and save in the first 3 years to set yourselves up unless you are coming out here with Saturdays lotto jackpot!!

This is honest advice and i hope it helps!!!

Happy days

Stefan

Sounds mostly reasonable but when I went back to the UK, I kept my home in Sydney, and when I reversed the process again, I kept my home in the UK. The mistake I did make was stacking my loft in UK with personal effects, really should have got rid of them or transferred them here. I don't see any point in selling my home each time I make a move when I can rent them out. They are just another form of investment - could even call them my pension funds.

Hi All,

Been out here over 20 yrs and I have read some really disturbing threads and posts on the forum in the last couple of weeks so here's some simple good old common sense advice. You can take it or leave it but it's all from personal expierience and from people I know you have made the move here:

1. Are your skills required here? are they on the shortages list?? If not stop here, as you most likely will NOT get in. Try again in say 2 yrs time the list is updated quite often so keep looking if you have the 'bug'!!

2. Apply and go through the process, don't try and take shortcuts, go with the flow. Personally I don't have time for migration experts, but that's a choice you need to make. They DO NOT have a backdoor entrance they can sneak you thru, no matter what they tell you, they just do the paperwork side of things and charge you for It.

3. Wait for the answer, could be a long time coming,so sit back and wait, nothing will move the immigration people here any quicker or in the UK.

4. If you get in and are granted visas it's time to sell your house, car, any business you may have or are involved in. DO NOT keep any of these before you come out here, all of these are EXCESS BAGGAGE and will be like a rope around your neck. Get shot and and dispose of these. You are coming out here to live you can't keep a foot in each country. If you can't let go or are thinking of a 'lets try it and see' approach then the chances are you will not suceed as you'll be coming here with too much EMOTIONAL baggage. NOT GOOD for you or fair to AUSTRALIA, which has been good enough to give you a chance of a new life in a new country.

5. Once your ready book tickets and buy ONE WAYS ONLY. This will stop any temptation for you to go back and see the relatives in the first 12 months.

6. Book your removalists and get out here when you are ready.

7. Tell the relatives you'll see them again when THEY can afford to visit YOU. Not the other way round. You will need every $ you can earn and save in the first 3 years to set yourselves up unless you are coming out here with Saturdays lotto jackpot!!

This is honest advice and i hope it helps!!!

Happy days

Stefan

All this is assuming people want to apply for independent visas, and are intending to move permanently. It does not apply to all migrants.

1. Employer sponsored skills list is far more comprehensive than the SOL. RSMS doesn't even have a skills list, so there are options there if you can find a job.

2. Agreed for most people, but migration agents can be worth their weight in gold if you've got an unusual case or less than perfect medical/criminal history. Agents also know exactly which documents are needed, so can save money and time on unecessary police checks and medicals for some visas (e.g. the 457 where not everyone needs a medical/police check, but the website seems to indicate that they do)

3. good advice. Unless you've got info that would seem to indicate your application has got lost in the system somewhere. In which case, check up on it, and THEN sit back and wait.

4. That really depends on individual situation. There's nothing wrong with choosing to rent your house out rather than sell it in a deflated market if you don't intend to buy straight away in Australia and don't need the capital. And again, not everyone is looking to migrate permanently. These days, people move around, migration doesn't have to be forever, so it's not worth bankrupting yourself to cut all ties with your previous country.

5. agreed. being able to buy return tickets in the sales rather than limiting yourself to the more expensive flexible fares makes financial sense. (If you have airmiles, that one flight flight is the time to use them)

6. Some people don't have the luxury of waiting ages before moving, for various school/work etc reasons.

7. Entirely disagree with you on that one. Decide how often you want to go home, work out how much that will cost, and save accordingly. Live off what's left, might mean a slightly smaller house/car, but for some people, being able to visit family and friends is what stops them feeling trapped in their new country. The world isn't as big as it once was, you don't have to cut all ties with the past any more.

1. I agree.

2. Disagree partly. Although migration agents don't offer a back door - the decent ones are able to help you understand which visa (and which skill) you should apply with.

3. Agreed.

4. Completely disagree.

5. Completely disagree - just do what suits you.

6. Disagree. As opposed to moving here when you aren't ready?

7. Disagree. There's less of us than there are relatives and friends. That doesn't mean they're aren't all welcome to visit.

I think the most important thing to do is to come with an open mind. Australia is NOT the UK with sunshine!! It is not paradise or utopia, it is not a place to run to when the going gets tough in the UK. If this is what you are expecting then stay where you are.

It is a different culture and a different country. Things are not better or worse in either - just different - don't moan about differences, embrace them.

Love

Rudi

x

Yip that is the official line, but having a well known Migration Agents name on your paperwork definitely greases the DIAC wheels. Money well spent I would say.

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!