Kofalas and Enidnas

The Broughtons

We had a fab time at the Briars Park on Mornington Peninsula yesterday.

The Briars Park

We set up our barbecue (a free electric one near the car park) and had a fab lunch and then set off for a walk. There are a few different walks to choose from - we chose the 4km version and although it was hard work with 3 kids and a push chair, I think everyone else would agree that we chose the right route.

We'd seen the signs that said kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and echidnas live in the reserve and thought we'd probably catch a glimpse of a roo! Oh no, not us. Not one single roo or wallaby was to be seen. We were not disappointed though. After a while I could hear a rustling noise, Deb confirmed I wasn't hearing things and on closer inspection, under a tree desperately trying to get away from us was an echidna (or enidna as Cody said it was!) I was beside myself - how exciting - a real life, wild echidna. It was quite large and stayed put while I snapped away with the camera. Off we go again, continuing our trek when I stopped. I was sure I could see something in the tree ahead, again, closer inspection revealed a koala having a snooze. He was a big 'un as well and boy did he have a loud grunt on him. The kofala (again a Cody word) was snoring!!! More pictures and some very happy adventurers continued on there merry way. The next spot was Del's - our second koala followed by a kookaburra (and he laughed for us a bit later on as well!).

The guy in the visitor centre was really friendly and chatty, telling us all about the reserve and things he has seen in his time there. We would definitely recommend this as a place for others. It was completely free and fab to see the animals in there natural environment.

Guest Gollywobbler
We had a fab time at the Briars Park on Mornington Peninsula yesterday.

The Briars Park

We set up our barbecue (a free electric one near the car park) and had a fab lunch and then set off for a walk. There are a few different walks to choose from - we chose the 4km version and although it was hard work with 3 kids and a push chair, I think everyone else would agree that we chose the right route.

We'd seen the signs that said kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and echidnas live in the reserve and thought we'd probably catch a glimpse of a roo! Oh no, not us. Not one single roo or wallaby was to be seen. We were not disappointed though. After a while I could hear a rustling noise, Deb confirmed I wasn't hearing things and on closer inspection, under a tree desperately trying to get away from us was an echidna (or enidna as Cody said it was!) I was beside myself - how exciting - a real life, wild echidna. It was quite large and stayed put while I snapped away with the camera. Off we go again, continuing our trek when I stopped. I was sure I could see something in the tree ahead, again, closer inspection revealed a koala having a snooze. He was a big 'un as well and boy did he have a loud grunt on him. The kofala (again a Cody word) was snoring!!! More pictures and some very happy adventurers continued on there merry way. The next spot was Del's - our second koala followed by a kookaburra (and he laughed for us a bit later on as well!).

The guy in the visitor centre was really friendly and chatty, telling us all about the reserve and things he has seen in his time there. We would definitely recommend this as a place for others. It was completely free and fab to see the animals in there natural environment.

Hi Fizz

I do know what you mean because I've done similar things in WA. Roos are nocturnal animals so it is hard to see them during the day but they ARE big. Wallabies are smaller but their habits are similar.

Koalas are cute, aren't they? The ones I've seen have all been awake. When I asked the Ranger whether I could pick up and cuddle a live one, he said no. He said they are riddled with fleas, their claws are long and sharp, they do not understand why humans want to cuddle them so they are apt to object if one tries, and also cuddling them tends to give the animal appendicitis, which kills them unless the rangers spot the symptoms and call a vet.

One of THE best things about Oz is the free barbies everywhere, though. On one trip to Perth, one Sunday, sister and bro in Law loaded up the car with about 3 Eskies, containing drinks and the food for a barbie, plus their mate Bruce and myself. The ski-boat was hooked up to the back of the car and off we went to Waroona Dam for a day of relaxing, water skiing and fresh water swimming. There was a big communal barbie, the use of which was free, and it was simply a case of "Bring your own grub."

Apart from the fact that we all like Bruce, he was the Alternative Boat Driver so that Neil (bro in law) could have a ski. They are strict about the notion that there must also be an observer in the boat, watching the skier, so that if the skier falls, somebody can alert the boat-driver and keep the swimming skier firmly in sight.

It was a brilliant day out because we also took a big rubber ring which was good fun when towed. I'm as blind as a bat without my contact lenses so I am hopeless on water skis. I can't see the waves coming so I just end up falling after a few yards. I was able to sit in the ring, though, because the towing thing was attached to the ring, not to me.

We made a little camp for ourselves under the trees and nobody disturbed us all day. The Ranger who came past in a Ute simply waved and went on his way.

Like your recent day out, it was one of those magical days which one remembers forever.

Cheers

Gill

Archived