Current job situation in Australia

silencio

Hi members,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how the job market is in Australia at the moment?

We are moving to Adelaide in February and my hubby is a CNC Operator/Programmer.

Is it normal that potential employers don't answer when you apply from Europe for a job? Some did in our case, kellyservices for example did not reply. I think we are to early for applications, aren't we?

Thanks a lot.

Guest Susan Wareham McGrath
Hi members,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how the job market is in Australia at the moment?

We are moving to Adelaide in February and my hubby is a CNC Operator/Programmer.

Is it normal that potential employers don't answer when you apply from Europe for a job? Some did in our case, kellyservices for example did not reply. I think we are to early for applications, aren't we?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Silencio

Australia-wide, there are currently 393 jobs for CNC Operators listed on Seek, one of Australia's popular job boards, but not many in Adelaide at the moment. There are other job boards, like myCareer, which lists 46 Australia-wide, but Seek is one of the biggest and a good indicator of what's around.

December and January are generally slow employment months in Australia because of the Christmas / New Year break,, so the low number of CNC jobs in Adelaide is not necessarily representative of the big picture. In Oz, many factories, production facilities and service businesses close down for a couple of weeks during late December/early Jan, so the employment market tends to slow down then; things usually pick up in the New Year.

Australian employment consultants generally have tough targets to meet and are paid a commission for placements, so do have a tendency to focus their attention only on applicants that they intend to put forward for immediate interview. If you've not received a response from an agency and still wish to deal with them, you could get back in touch a couple of weeks before you leave for Australia and make an appointment for your husband to see a consultant on your arrival. It also wouldn't hurt to get back in touch at that time with the consultants that have responded, and let them know of your husband's availability - just to keep him front of mind when new jobs come in.

Best regards

Susan

Guest curiouslady35

what is meant by "genuine effort to stay" in rsms 119 visa rules.if we worked for an employer for more than a year would this qualify as a "genuine effort" to stay?