cartertucker

Toyota Tarago or Kia Carnival?

Anyone have either? :unsure:

Which is better for a Family of 6? :confused: 2 Children in baby seats & a double pushchair

Anyone have either? :unsure:

Which is better for a Family of 6? :confused: 2 Children in baby seats & a double pushchair

Hi Kelly

I have no personal experience...but a group of us on facebook were just having this convo today so I've copied and pasted some of the responses for you below:

I have a Kia carnival... And love it. Great for family it is a proper 7 seater.... Not a 5 seated with a couple of seats thrown in the boot as a lot of them are!!! And if you want to move anything the seats come out! All round good car.... Oh and back doors slide so kids can't open doors and smash the car next to us!!!

he Kia Carvial does an 8 seater version too. Toyota do an 9 seater too...thinks its called a Trajet.

ive got a Toyota Tarago - 8 seater, loadsa room - LOVE IT!! Can't fault it in any way, wish we had bought this one as soon as we got here but had 2 other cars before we settled for this one. Easy to get in and out of the 3rd row, still heaps of legroom, aircon front and rear and still enough room in the boot for any visitors cases!!!

Rachel, Martin, Abigail (15) & Cassie (9) - Granted PR176 2/12/10 Welder 1st Class. Arrived Secret Harbour, WA 21/1/11. Became Citizens 26/1/16

I do much prefer the Kia Carnival, but am aware that you must get a model of 2005 or newer, as the older ones had engine problems (big time!) :shocked:

Hubby thinks the Toyota Tarogo is a better investment, as they are better quality etc...:GEEK:

But he does say its up to me, as it will be my main car, just dont want to make a bad decision :unsure:

I do much prefer the Kia Carnival, but am aware that you must get a model of 2005 or newer, as the older ones had engine problems (big time!) :shocked:

Hubby thinks the Toyota Tarogo is a better investment, as they are better quality etc...:GEEK:

But he does say its up to me, as it will be my main car, just dont want to make a bad decision :unsure:

When do you arrive or are you already here now? Can you test drive both and see which feels right for you?

Rachel, Martin, Abigail (15) & Cassie (9) - Granted PR176 2/12/10 Welder 1st Class. Arrived Secret Harbour, WA 21/1/11. Became Citizens 26/1/16

When do you arrive or are you already here now? Can you test drive both and see which feels right for you?

We are here! :jiggy:

Yes, your right, I should test drive both...But I let hubby do it! :rolleyes: I usually can get used to any car

Husbands right imo Kelly,Toyota for me,normally a bit dearer tho so i got an Isuzu,but if 4X4s were the same price i'd allways get a toyota,likewise a people carrier,which ones got the fluffy dice tho?:wink:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Husbands right imo Kelly,Toyota for me

....Men! :rolleyes:

Only joking :wink:

I can see his (& your) point, just the Kia looks better inside for all the kids :cute::cute::cute::cute:

We drove a Toyota Tarrago around Aus in 2008!

Was fantastically relyable! It was also 20 years old, so good going, dont know enough about Kia's but was told that wherever you go in Aus they will be able to fix any problems that might occur also had a really good reputation for coping with the heat very well!:biggrin:

Guest nikkidel

Just want to throw in a totally different option which you may not have thought of...

Have you considered the Hyundai Imax? It's actually an 8 seater and also has a really decent amount of boot space. Normally with people carriers there's not much boot space once all the seats are up...once our pushchair was in the Tarago there wasn't really room for anything else. With the Imax we managed to get all of us, plus five big suitcases, three hand luggage sized suitcases, plus a few other bags and bits and pieces, plus our double pushchair in...most of it in the boot, just a hand luggage and a bag or two behind the front seats.

The other great thing I've found about the Imax is that because we have two spare seats in the car (we are a family of 6 too), depending on where I have people sitting, (2 in middle row and 2 in back row) I could pull over on the side of the road and walk from the front through the two front seats (plenty of room as it's a wide car) and get all the way to the back to do whatever I need to (nappies etc) without even having to get out of the car (a real bonus when pulled over on the side of a busy road). There's enough room between the front and middle row that I've put baby on the floor and sat myself down on the floor behind the front seat and changed a nappy there.

The car has sliding doors, so great for getting everyone in and out without worrying about bashing the person's car who is parked next to you...the car is easy to drive, small turning circle, parking sensors etc. It will fit under a 2m height restriction though haven't checked to see if it'll go under anything smaller.

The only thing is that the diesel engine is far far better than the petrol. The petrol engine is a bit flat imo, and the car a bit slow to pull away etc, but because modern diesels all have turbos it's an absolute pleasure to drive a large car that handles so easily and when you put your foot down it really moves even when fully laden. I just don't know whether they have the diesel option in Australia. When we were in Aus our hire car was the petrol version and we loved it except we thought it a bit slow. We aren't in Aus at the moment and have just bought the diesel version here and we love it...the car suits us in every way, plus we have a couple of spare seat in case we need to give anyone a lift anywhere.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't considered this one.

:yes::smile:

Toyota quality will generally surpass Kia, but will be more expensive. Also, the older Carnivals has a huge problem with engines needing total replacement at low k's. I read they were a Rover design, badly implemented by Kia and they let go with no warning at any k's. Best read up on it first before buying one.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Guest littlesarah

Why not just get a VW Transporter/caravelle? Then you've got a whole load of room to play with.

Just a slightly left-field option...

Thanks all :cute:

We have considered the Imax, but its a little too 'van like' for us, same as the caravelle, but thankyou for suggesting :wubclub:

i have kia grande carnival and we are family of six, two adults, 4 kids under 6....i personally wouldnt opt for kia carnival as i think it would be too small and it reminds me of the hyundai trajet too much in its appearence (had one in uk and hated it lol) i dont think there is much bootspace in kia carnival with all seats up, whereas kia grande carnival the boot is huge! and very very deep as the three back seats fold into the boot...

havent ever really looked at the tarago.... happy shopping!

how about a Mitsubishi Delica? We had one in the UK. Extremely comfortable, 7 or 8 seats, very versatile, plenty of space, reliable and very capable 4x4 for those odd forays off the road. You sit high up too, so you can even see over other 4x4s, excellent for seeing ahead.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

We rented a Tarago for about 3 weeks when we first arrived but, while looking around, test drove a Kia Grand Carnival--we quickly decided on the Kia. There are lots of features where it beat the Tarago hands down, not least the way the rear seats fold up and down in seconds and leave a well big enough for a week's grocery shopping behind them. It's just the more user friendly car--and gave us more for our money in terms of standard features.

The only two downsides are that I'm sure you're husband is right about resale value (though the Grand Carnival has been the best selling people mover for the last few years--obviously popular). Second downside is that the V6 is fairly thirsty in terms of fuel--though the Tarago is only a bit better.

Just for the avoidance of doubt--this is specifically the Grand Carnival I'm talking about--no personal experience with the basic Carnival.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

i have kia grande carnival and we are family of six, two adults, 4 kids under 6....i personally wouldnt opt for kia carnival as i think it would be too small and it reminds me of the hyundai trajet too much in its appearence (had one in uk and hated it lol) i dont think there is much bootspace in kia carnival with all seats up, whereas kia grande carnival the boot is huge! and very very deep as the three back seats fold into the boot...

havent ever really looked at the tarago.... happy shopping!

It looks like the basic Carnival was the Trajet over here and the Grand the Sedona. I suspect they are a bit like our Citroen C8 (Peugeot 807), hugely practical interiors let down by dire mechanicals/electrics.:mad:

What about a Hyundai Terracan maybe ?

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

We've decided......................:wideeyed:

We are buying a Kia Grande Carnival :wink:

Thankyou to everyone for all your comments, help & support :wubclub:

Thanks everyone for the info here - we're in exactly the same position as cartertucker - just on the brink of buying a Grand Carnival and then saw the post re the Hyundai Imax from nikkidel - can anyone offer any comments about the pros and cons of the IMAX over the Grand Carnival?

Thanks everyone for the info here - we're in exactly the same position as cartertucker - just on the brink of buying a Grand Carnival and then saw the post re the Hyundai Imax from nikkidel - can anyone offer any comments about the pros and cons of the IMAX over the Grand Carnival?

We love our Kia Grande Carnival, so spacious...Yet feels like a family car not a van! :wink: Really pleased we choose it