Cost of Living

How do you feel about the rising cost of living  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the rising cost of living

• Does not bother me
    • A little concerned
    • Very worried
    • Oh bugger looks like I'd be better off in the UK

CONCERNED Aussies are shrugging off their financial worries to grab bargains as they recognise everyone – including retailers - are doing it just as tough.

Results from news.com.au’s Cost of Living Survey show most of the 21,522 respondents feel like they are struggling financially but it’s not enough to hold them back from big ticket purchases.

More than 80 per cent of people who took the survey have made a “non-essential purchase” - but around two thirds of the bigger spenders ($1000 or more) say they need at least $100 a week extra in order to feel comfortable.

The top three non-essential items bought by survey respondents who said they need money were electronics, something for the home, and holidays, making up 62.1 per cent of purchases.

“We know in this environment people are looking for a bargain,” Commsec economist Savanth Sebastian told news.com.au.

“Electronics, white goods, furniture, leather goods and the like - some of those categories are seeing the cheapest readings in categories going back 30 years.”

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The average worker in Australia is still getting a good year on year pay rise, almost 5% yearly increase over the last few years, roughly 22% compared to my 2% pay rise here, so theres a big difference and i have no worries at all about the cost of living in OZ.

I've just taken a job on the railway here earning $71,000 a year but after my bills we are struggling to survive I can not believe how expensive Australia is (Geraldton WA) the excuse here is transport costs, I am returning to the UK as I will never be able to afford a home here and I can not enjoy the life style I had in the UK, in my opinion the whole country is a rip off, the better life simply does not exist here.

Guest JemGerrard

When you get there, just make sure you make all the purchaes you can from overseas. Use the power of the Aussie Dollar, avoid GST, and buy things chepaer from the shops you know and trust in the UK.

Guest guest17301

Live within your means.

in my opinion the whole country is a rip off, the better life simply does not exist here.

I respect your view about Geraldton but Geraldton is not "the whole country". In fact it is nothing at all like the part of the country where I live.

Unless you have the good fortune to land a well paid job in the mines you could be struggling financially if you emigrate.

The biggest single cost for most families is housing costs rent / mortgage.

Living on bread and water walking 20k to work each day will not make up for the fact houses are expensive in Australia and it is not just my opinion.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/03/global_house_prices.

Australia was a country with cheap houses but sadly those days are long gone.

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

I've just taken a job on the railway here earning $71,000 a year but after my bills we are struggling to survive I can not believe how expensive Australia is (Geraldton WA) the excuse here is transport costs, I am returning to the UK as I will never be able to afford a home here and I can not enjoy the life style I had in the UK, in my opinion the whole country is a rip off, the better life simply does not exist here.

The first few times I visited Australia it was not a rip off country

But sadly Australia has changed into a rip off country over the last ten years.

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

I think you'd be foolish not to be a little concerned no matter where you are in the world...or where you're heading come to that. :unsure:

What's happening in Europe will have knock on effects globally and personally I feel that Australia is perhaps a little more "safe" from any Eurozone fallout than Suffolk!

Angie.... a work in progress!

Where is the 'Its a good thing!' option?

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

when house prices in GB were rising it was a good thing,rising house prices in AUS is a rip off:rolleyes:

The average worker in Australia is still getting a good year on year pay rise, almost 5% yearly increase over the last few years, roughly 22% compared to my 2% pay rise here, so theres a big difference and i have no worries at all about the cost of living in OZ.

You got 2%..................lucky git !:err:

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

when house prices in GB were rising it was a good thing,rising house prices in AUS is a rip off:rolleyes:

No it is a rip off that house prices have risen in both the U.K and Australia over the last two decades.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You got 2%..................lucky git !:err:

I haven't got it yet mate:realmad::laugh:

Osborne promised us 2% each year for the next 2 years, but he has revised it down to 1% - so if things get worse by then, he might revise it down to 0%:mad:

As i have said inflation is running at 5% every year and the economists are saying that our earnings by 2015 will be similar to earnings in 2005. Lovely jubbly.:arghh:

Us private sector workers have suffered too but we can't strike !

Let's stand together........................................................and bugger off to Oz !

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

No it is a rip off that house prices have risen in both the U.K and Australia over the last two decades.

that only seems to apply to those that didn't own a house

Osborne promised us 2% each year for the next 2 years, but he has revised it down to 1% - so if things get worse by then, he might revise it down to 0%:mad:

As i have said inflation is running at 5% every year and the economists are saying that our earnings by 2015 will be similar to earnings in 2005. Lovely jubbly.:arghh:

Mate, with a 28% pay rise for all Federal Parliament members, there will be a huge rise in inflation in Australia.

MPs set to give up perks for pay rise

By Jeremy Thompson

Updated December 01, 2011 15:41:01

3675352-3x4-340x453.jpgPhoto: The changes would mean Julia Gillard would get paid more than US president Barack Obama (Reuters: Jason Reed)

Map: Australia

Federal backbenchers are set for a massive $50,000 pay rise, taking their base salary to nearly $200,000, in exchange for losing some of their perks.

A review by the independent remuneration tribunal is set to award Prime Minister Julia Gillard an extra $80,000, bringing her salary to more than $450,000, making her a bigger earner than US president Barack Obama ($US400,000) or British prime minister David Cameron.

In return, the MPs will lose some entitlements, such as overseas study tours which are used by some parliamentarians as nothing more than holidays at the taxpayer's expense.

The controversial gold pass scheme, where former MPs travel for free, will also be phased out.

The gold pass and the study tours combined cost taxpayers $2.6 million last year.

The move to phase out perks has been welcomed by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott.

"I think the remuneration tribunal should be trusted to come up with a better system," he told Lateline.

"Certainly I'm no fan of the old gold pass, and if it goes I'll be cheering."

The most famous traveller among ex-MPs is undoubtedly former Nationals leader Ian Sinclair, who has taken more than 750 taxpayer-funded flights costing over $250,000.

Hope it extends to pensioners as well...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Sympathise mate,but count yerself lucky yer not a S/employed bricky,our prices per thousand brick have dropped about a third in two yrs,now about £280 a thou,less 20% tax,whats that,£224 net? split 3 ways,hard going mate

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Mate, with a 28% pay rise for all Federal Parliament members, there will be a huge rise in inflation in Australia.

MPs set to give up perks for pay rise

By Jeremy Thompson

Updated December 01, 2011 15:41:01

3675352-3x4-340x453.jpgPhoto: The changes would mean Julia Gillard would get paid more than US president Barack Obama (Reuters: Jason Reed)

Map: Australia

Federal backbenchers are set for a massive $50,000 pay rise, taking their base salary to nearly $200,000, in exchange for losing some of their perks.

A review by the independent remuneration tribunal is set to award Prime Minister Julia Gillard an extra $80,000, bringing her salary to more than $450,000, making her a bigger earner than US president Barack Obama ($US400,000) or British prime minister David Cameron.

In return, the MPs will lose some entitlements, such as overseas study tours which are used by some parliamentarians as nothing more than holidays at the taxpayer's expense.

The controversial gold pass scheme, where former MPs travel for free, will also be phased out.

The gold pass and the study tours combined cost taxpayers $2.6 million last year.

The move to phase out perks has been welcomed by Opposition Leader Tony Abbott.

"I think the remuneration tribunal should be trusted to come up with a better system," he told Lateline.

"Certainly I'm no fan of the old gold pass, and if it goes I'll be cheering."

The most famous traveller among ex-MPs is undoubtedly former Nationals leader Ian Sinclair, who has taken more than 750 taxpayer-funded flights costing over $250,000.

Hope it extends to pensioners as well...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

So do I :laugh:

Did hear something interesting in the car yesterday on talkback. A listener phoned in and had worked out how much pm gets per person and it is 2cents per person, so guess she does deserve a rise.

I have no problem if the perks go and they get a rise they have not had one for quite a while and they do put in the hours and to me its a thankless job. A job we want people to do, because most of us would not want it. The caller also said she deserves 4c as she has to take all the flack and rubbish people say about her and I agree with that too.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest thebuckells

I'm 29 years of age+would love to move to Australia but don't know if we could financially afford it.

I've got a property in the UK that I've been renting for 2 years, I earn £25k pa, have 2 kids (aged 3+6 months), £10k savings.

Looking at house prices in Australia it would be near impossible to own our own place with only having 20-30 years left of our working life to pay for it. Looking at average house prices overall of about $450k.

I really do look at friends who bought before me with jealousy as they fell lucky with the property market & bagged a nice £60k from property sales.

What's the overall property culture like in Australia, do more people own houses than they rent?

70% of Australians own their house (or the bank owns it for them).

House prices vary tremendously from place to place - in capital cities the median house price ranges from about $637,000 in Sydney to $327,000 in Hobart. (These were figures for September 2011 and I think they have dropped a bit more since then). So it depends where you want to live. Other large regional cities would also have more affordable prices than the capitals.

it's something i worry about too, i worry that if we move then we'll never be able to afford to buy a house but if i get the chance to go then im still taking it, i'll rent for a few years and see what happens from there

imho things are only a rip off if you are lead to believe they are one price, and then have to pay another. If you know the price going into something, its not a rip off, you are silly for either paying it, not looking elsewhere, or not making do without or with an alternative. There are always cheaper options to things, but we have been force-fed a diet of must-have, latest-greatest, top-of-the-line, whistles-and-bells, and generally wasting money on shiny baubles that we either don't need or are far higher spec than we can live with.

If I buy something and then call it a rip off, I'm a stupid person indeed - no-one held a gun to my head and made me buy it!

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

LOL I AM better off in UK! (Income in Aussie dollars, spending UK pounds even with the bank charges for international purchases!)