Place to settle down in Adelaide, SA

Guest DavidNguyen

Guest DavidNguyen

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, nice to know all you guys!!!

I applied for 176 Visa exactly 1 year ago, and just got the Grant Notification for 3 days (high risk country). I applied for SA Sponsorship, yet still don't know where in Adelaide is the best place for me to settle down (I'm a Civil Engineer). I intend to fly there in 3 months. Anyone has experience in this matter, please give me some recommendation.

Any advice would be truly appreciated :laugh:.

David Nguyen

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here, nice to know all you guys!!!

I applied for 176 Visa exactly 1 year ago, and just got the Grant Notification for 3 days (high risk country). I applied for SA Sponsorship, yet still don't know where in Adelaide is the best place for me to settle down (I'm a Civil Engineer). I intend to fly there in 3 months. Anyone has experience in this matter, please give me some recommendation.

Any advice would be truly appreciated :laugh:.

David Nguyen

Do you want to be the near city? Eastern suburbs are considered the better part of town but Western is multicultural . North is affodable but at times a bit rougher and South has more beaches with a mix of socio economic groups The Adelaide hills has a cooler climate if the dry heat of summers becomes too much ( often 40 degrees) and more of a country / living in the bush feel but still only 15 minutes from CBD- also depends on if you have family and need to be near schooling. While this isnt very specific it really depends on what you want. Adelaide generally is pretty conservative with pockets of other lifestyles, I was born here and always come home ( have lived OS alot) cos now with kids it is a good place to be. Happy to provide more detail - Wendy

Guest DavidNguyen
Do you want to be the near city? Eastern suburbs are considered the better part of town but Western is multicultural . North is affodable but at times a bit rougher and South has more beaches with a mix of socio economic groups The Adelaide hills has a cooler climate if the dry heat of summers becomes too much ( often 40 degrees) and more of a country / living in the bush feel but still only 15 minutes from CBD- also depends on if you have family and need to be near schooling. While this isnt very specific it really depends on what you want. Adelaide generally is pretty conservative with pockets of other lifestyles, I was born here and always come home ( have lived OS alot) cos now with kids it is a good place to be. Happy to provide more detail - Wendy

Thanks Wendy so much for your information. Actually I wanna live in a cool place like The Adelaide hill, but still I don't know whether it's near the universities or not, coz I also want sometimes to get by the library and grab some books or attend some course if having a chance. Living near a park is also ideal for me, because I like natural landscape and fresh atmosphere. Living near Vietnamese groups is good, coz I come from Vietnam.

Wow, that's too much for me to ask :laugh:. Thanks for your advice again.

Btw, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sianburton

Hi David

Congratulations on getting your visa :biggrin:

The best place to live will depend on a number of things - budget, lifestyle, family.

My husband and I lived in Adelaide for a year 18 months ago and spent that time living in a beach surburb called Henley. As young professional this was perfect for us we lived across the road form the beach in a 2 bed apartment for $290 a week. We were 20 minutes drive from the city had a huge shopping centre called West Lakes about 10 minutes away and supermarkets close by. Henley also has a square with bars and restaurants which was perfect for after work drinking. Being by the beach was also cooler on those 45C days.

Obviously if you have a family other surburbs with cheaper accommadation to the north and south of the centre of the city might be better and if your looking for countryside head to the hills for lusher surroundings and cooler temperatures.

The better schools seemed to be around the Brighton, Glenelg, Somerton Park area but this is one of the most expensive areas of the city to live.

If your used to city living then there is an abundance on relatively inexpensive properties within the parklands. I guess with hills and beach not so many people want to live right in the city.

Hope that helps a bit.:biggrin:

Guest DavidNguyen
Hi David

Congratulations on getting your visa :biggrin:

The best place to live will depend on a number of things - budget, lifestyle, family.

My husband and I lived in Adelaide for a year 18 months ago and spent that time living in a beach surburb called Henley. As young professional this was perfect for us we lived across the road form the beach in a 2 bed apartment for $290 a week. We were 20 minutes drive from the city had a huge shopping centre called West Lakes about 10 minutes away and supermarkets close by. Henley also has a square with bars and restaurants which was perfect for after work drinking. Being by the beach was also cooler on those 45C days.

Obviously if you have a family other surburbs with cheaper accommadation to the north and south of the centre of the city might be better and if your looking for countryside head to the hills for lusher surroundings and cooler temperatures.

Hi Sian,

Many thanks for your information.

Wow, Henley beach is wonderful. How did you find this place at first? Actually, there's just only me migrating to Adelaide, so I wonder if there's any share house with single room around the area.

Nice weekend!!!!