Do we need health insurance?

Guest garyp

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on whether we need health insurance in Oz. We have come across on a 457 visa and arrived 6 weeks ago. We have paid for health insurance for a family of 4 for 2 months now (over $400 each time) and I get conflicting information. As we are from the UK I believe that we are eligible under the "reciprocal arrangement" between the UK and Oz (so if an Australian fell ill in the UK they would receive treatment under the NHS). A guy at work is on a 457 visa, his wife is pregnant and they only have ambulance cover. My wife, me and our daughter all wear glasses (not sure if optical care would be included in any reciprocal arrangement) but I am concerned that I may be paying out a substantial sum when it may not be necessary. I understand that ambulance cover is necessary (particularly as our kids are 8 and 11) but would this reciprocal arrangement provide us with enough cover should we need to visit a Dr or, worse still, go to hospital?

Guest Guest31881

You would get basic treatment under the reciprocal agreement. You will pay to see doctor and optical care is definitely not available under a reciprocal agreement, dental care is also very expensive here and not covered by Medicare.

reciprocal agreement just means you can get treatment in the same way as an Australian would get it. Its not free unless its an emergency and you go to the Hospitals A&E. Not sure about in-hospital treatment how that works. I imagine similar to the locals but with a long waiting list