Guest guest37336

'Feeding' The Soul

Guest guest37336

I know the 'soul' is often a very misinterpreted saying, and though I have a feeling that the 'soul' doesn't actually exist I do believe there is 'something' within in us all that makes us true individuals.:idea: I tend to shy away from 'science' at times when I read that a perfectly rational explanation can be used for EVERYTHING in life, I've had way too many experiences to allow science tell me that what I just witnessed was easily explained.:no:

'If' we have a 'soul' 'being' 'thingy' within us what do you do to 'feed' it. Do you walk, jog, read, garden, eat, 'think', or just do what you are doing and go with the flow.:yes:

I am a great believer that just to 'go along' with life at times is such a waste, I know everyday mundane stuff often gets in the way, as they should, being a dad and husband I know too well that time is often at a premium and to trouble ourselves with 'naval' gazing can seem not only foolhardy but totally out of place in this day and age.:unsure:

But at times we all need a bit of time to ourselves to reflect, think, even rage at times, so other than the 'normal' day to day stuff do you believe that we should take the time to feed our souls (in whichever way you seem happy with) and maybe become a little happier or at times unhappier with our lives?

I have a feeling I am over thinking again, :embarrassed::no: it's late, nothing on TV yet and waiting for my eldest to get in.

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest16631

......our soul contains the very essence of who and what we are..................if there was no soul, the body would be like a light without electric.......... a computer without software,.............................it holds all our memories and thoughts...........it is the 'I'............so when things get stressful and unpleasent........................and you feel unwell inside[not physically..!!]..................this is when you need to feed your soul...........................I find by just taking time to 'be'...................no distractions ..................sometimes just going over some fond memories................anything really that makes you feel good about yourself.........and when your soul is fed and feels good you are able.......to then get on with livving............. and enjoy it!......................[.hope your eldest isn't to long......!!]

Guest guest37336

I guess feeding the soul is a very personal 'thing' Tink, and thanks for explaining things far better than me,:notworthy:.

I know I rattle on about Bonefishing,:jiggy:, but at the end of the day I would be happy sitting on a Bonefish flat and not catching anything.

I could sit there ALL day without a soul (excuse the rubbish pun,:embarrassed:) around and wistfully think about nothing and everything, and come back a new and reinvigorated individual.:yes:

PerfectBonefishFlat.jpg

The sounds, peacefulness, tranquility definitely feeds my soul.:notworthy:

Guest Gothic Rose

Mr Lemming, Sir you have outdone yourself :notworthy::notworthy:

This is a very complex thing to reply to without being able to hook you up a line into my veins & say feel what it's like for me :shocked:

Perhaps for me my Soul is the compelling voice inside that cries out " My Name is Thirst, Quench Me ! "

Whatever it may be it's the inexorable driving force for my Artistic temprement giving me a voracious appetite to passionately devour life leaving no stone unturned in my varied quests. It's the thing that inspires the creative to excel & drive themselves relentlessly to the heights & depths of their being, a journey not for the feint of heart but immensely rewarding for those who dare.

The soul drives the Artist to consume life, so that we can recreate it through our own experiences & understanding of life.

How others define their idea of Soul I cannot say, I may only speak from my own direct experience You can't google or wiki what your own soul is for you & if that is thing exists within you, how it then motivates you.

Perhaps there are some who have no souls ? I don't know that's up to them for if a persons soul were like a muscle, if they didn't exercise it, then perhaps it would wither away & die off, whereas if the soul was fed well & highly nourished it would grow & develope just like a muscle & be strong.

I feed my bodys muscles lots of protein, I feed my soul on a strict diet of aesthetic pursuit.

You did ask the question :wubclub:

My soul.... For a long time a hidden, unfathomed little thing, it took much "soul searching" literally! to bring it to the surface. I discovered it is an emotional little soul, with need for much love, both giving and receiving, but with also much determination and curiosity. So I suppose I feed my soul on all kinds of love, that for family, friends, animals, but also with learning, drinking in of cultures, ideas, knowledge. Without these things I would have a very sad, black and white soul instead of a technicolour one with sparkly gems and vibrant emotions! With so much more love and learning yet to come I wonder sometimes if I will have to get an upgrade :cute:

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

This song pretty much sums it up for me.......

[YOUTUBE]t5wlMvATODw[/YOUTUBE]

If you place a thing into the center of your life

That lacks the power to nourish

It will eventually poison everything that you are

And destroy you

As simple a thing as an idea

Or your perspective on yourself of the world

No one can be the source of your content,

It lies within, in the center.

Only with mellow are you thin enough to slide through

Only with mellow are you thin enough to slide through

Don't let nothing ride you.

If the sun or the moon should give way to doubt,

They would immediately go out .

I know the 'soul' is often a very misinterpreted saying, and though I have a feeling that the 'soul' doesn't actually exist I do believe there is 'something' within in us all that makes us true individuals.:idea: I tend to shy away from 'science' at times when I read that a perfectly rational explanation can be used for EVERYTHING in life, I've had way too many experiences to allow science tell me that what I just witnessed was easily explained.:no:

'If' we have a 'soul' 'being' 'thingy' within us what do you do to 'feed' it. Do you walk, jog, read, garden, eat, 'think', or just do what you are doing and go with the flow.:yes:

I am a great believer that just to 'go along' with life at times is such a waste, I know everyday mundane stuff often gets in the way, as they should, being a dad and husband I know too well that time is often at a premium and to trouble ourselves with 'naval' gazing can seem not only foolhardy but totally out of place in this day and age.:unsure:

But at times we all need a bit of time to ourselves to reflect, think, even rage at times, so other than the 'normal' day to day stuff do you believe that we should take the time to feed our souls (in whichever way you seem happy with) and maybe become a little happier or at times unhappier with our lives?

I have a feeling I am over thinking again, :embarrassed::no: it's late, nothing on TV yet and waiting for my eldest to get in.

Cheers Tony.

hmm I'd say (hypothetically) you feed your soul whatever you think will make you feel content. Especially a bit of love :wubclub:

Guest guest59177

Errrrr would it be OK to add a bit of religious perspective? Keep in mind in my case it would be the Islamic perspective!!!! And apologies in advance if I take the rest of the day to reply, am busy as hell in office right now...

PS I really hope we have souls but I don't think so, imo it's just the mind/our conscience.

I tend to hope we souls especially when someone I know has passed away, but then I know I'm just having these thoughts because it's hard to accept that persons gone.

I watched Limitless the other day and I'd love to know if we could ever use the rest of our brain.

Feeding my soul...Peanut butter and ginger jam!:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest59177
Errrrr would it be OK to add a bit of religious perspective? Keep in mind in my case it would be the Islamic perspective!!!! And apologies in advance if I take the rest of the day to reply, am busy as hell in office right now...

I guess not.... oh well... :dull:

I feed it all the tangible things that i enjoy,most of which are bad for you tbh.

On a spiritual/physical level? i just try to do what i think is rite by people,but im not all forgiving like some,i DONT let things eat away at me,because then they would have won.

However if someone has done me a bad wrong i put them in the bad wardrobe,never to be bothered with ever again,and i DO mean ever again.

I'm not that eloquent as you will know,so to give a more down to earth/practical example...theres been a few times now in the supermarket when ive got outside and thought "that was a cheap shop,should have been more than that",looked at the bill and the girl had forgotten to swipe the whisky,three times its happened,all with whisky!:twitcy:

Now whisky is one of my fav things in life,and ive often wondered "why the whisky test again",is it some kind of moral examination or just coincidence:wideeyed::confused:

Anyway,i could've well done with this "free gift" at the time,financially i mean,but ive allways gone back and fessed up to the girl,mainly because i would'nt want the girl to get in trouble,so not a very romanticized explanation of "doing the rite thing",but thats what i mean in practical terms,not saying i deserve a medal or anything btw,its just being honest after all,but anyway,there yer go,....and me a scouser as well:wink:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest guest59177
I feed it all the tangible things that i enjoy,most of which are bad for you tbh.

On a spiritual/physical level? i just try to do what i think is rite by people,but im not all forgiving like some,i DONT let things eat away at me,because then they would have won.

However if someone has done me a bad wrong i put them in the bad wardrobe,never to be bothered with ever again,and i DO mean ever again.

I'm not that eloquent as you will know,so to give a more down to earth/practical example...theres been a few times now in the supermarket when ive got outside and thought "that was a cheap shop,should have been more than that",looked at the bill and the girl had forgotten to swipe the whisky,three times its happened,all with whisky!:twitcy:

Now whisky is one of my fav things in life,and ive often wondered "why the whisky test again",is it some kind of moral examination or just coincidence:wideeyed::confused:

Anyway,i could've well done with this "free gift" at the time,financially i mean,but ive allways gone back and fessed up to the girl,mainly because i would'nt want the girl to get in trouble,so not a very romanticized explanation of "doing the rite thing",but thats what i mean in practical terms,not saying i deserve a medal or anything btw,its just being honest after all,but anyway,there yer go,....and me a scouser as well:wink:

Well, if each time it was a girl then maybe it wasn't a test but an opportunity thrown your way yer numpty :idea:

Well, if each time it was a girl then maybe it wasn't a test but an opportunity thrown your way yer numpty :idea:

well as hard as it is to believe lepto,ive had opportunities to stray in the past that were more conducive to romance than a till in sainsburys:daydreaming:,those days are gone:cute:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Who cares whether its an islamic,christian or hindu perspective?you post and people agree or dont,if i agree i'l say,if i dont i will say as well,that its islamic makes no diff to me

Guest guest59177

With pablo's kind encouragement, here goes. Remember, an Islamic perspective on most things will in the end be about rewards to the believers and retribution for sinners and dsbelievers.

According to Islamic sources, the 'soul' exists and is distinct from the physical body. We know that Allah created Adam (Peace be upon him) from the soil of this earth and then put the soul in him, causing him to turn into a flesh and blood man. As to what exactly a soul is, we have been told that it is simply the 'Command of Allah'. When we go to sleep, the soul is taken out of our bodies but retains its 'connection' to the body. Death occurs when the 'connection' between soul and body is terminated.

In Islam, there is a lot of emphasis on nurturing the soul. Just as there are physical ailments, there are spiritual ailments or ailments of the soul. These are things like greed, malice, lust, promiscuity, hatred etc. And the way to cure these ailments is through worship, remembrance of Allah, and learning proper 'mannerisms' (this is a crude translation by me of 'tareeqat') by association with a spiritual guide.

Islamic sources describe an extremely elaborate process by which death occurs. The Angel of Death called Izrael (which I suppose would be Azrael in English??) comes in front of a believer's eyes who has led a life according to the tenets of Islam as a beautiful man accompanied by many other angels who hold flower boquets in their hands and give felicitations to the dying person. The kalima (or phrase) 'La ilaha illa Allahu Muhammad-ur-rasoolullah' (there is no God except Alllah and Muhammad is His Prophet) is written on his forehead which gives encouragement to the dying man to recite it also. He puts a handkerchief from heaven that contains musk under the person's chin and the whole happy sight and smell delight the person so much he doesn't notice when the soul is extracted.

Note that at the time of passing away of our Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), his wife Ayesha (May Allah be pleased with her) was present. She narrates as follows (this is the comprehension of her words from my memory).

The angel of death was accompanied by the leader of all angels Jibrael (or Gabriel in English) who asked permission to enter. The Prophet (Peace be upon him) was given a choice of remaining on earth or moving to the afterlife and chose the afterlife. When the process of extraction started he asked 'O Gabriel! How painful is this process of death' and Gabriel replied 'This is so for everyone'. Our Prophet (Peace be upon him) prayed to Allah to give him the pain of death of all his followers at that time.

The extraction of the soul starts from the thumb of the right leg and proceeds upwards. Each part from which it is extracted 'dies'. This proceeds up to the throat from where the soul escapes through the mouth and is collected in the handkerchief of musk. From here the angels rush towards the heavens. Now, there are seven 'skies' one on top of the other. The size of each lower 'sky' compared to the next higher one is like a small ring lying in a very large field. There are doors guarding entrance from one 'sky' to the next. When the angels reach the doors they are asked by the guards to tell their business. They introduce the person in the best possible words and then the doors are opened. In this manner, the soul ascends to wherever Allah has destined for it to stay until the Day of Judgement.

For a disbeliever, torment starts from the moment of extraction. The angel of death appears as an extremely scary man. The Prophet Abraham (Peace be upon him) asked the angel of death to show him this form. He appeared as a fierce black man with fire blazing out through his eyes and nostrils. The Prophet Abraham (Peace be upon him) says that if a disobedient person were given no other torment even then only this much torment would be befitting. The angel of death then commands the soul to come out but it tries to withdraw deeper into the body out of fear. The angel then forcefully removes it. Other angels start striking each part of the body from which the soul escapes. Islamic sources describe this process to be akin to fiercely ripping a piece of cloth against a thorny bush. The doors of the skies are not opened for this soul.

When the final process of death has started irrevocably for a person, that person can see the things of after-life which are normally hidden from our view. So he sees the angels and the various sights of the after-life. Muslims scholars and saints call this the real vision and an 'awakening', our current vision being nothing but a handicap and our state of unconcern about after-life a 'sleep'.

On the Day of Judgement, the body and soul of disbelievers and sinners will argue in front of Allah that the other should be sent to Hell. In the end, both shall be sent to Hell.

The soul can be tormented in Hell. This will be apart from the physical torment to the body. The torment to the soul might be described as a kind of hopelessness and frustration and feeling of being completely confined and restricted without any way out.

:notworthy:Tony what a great post , I feel my soul/spirit with nature , i'm abit of a wierdo when i see a large old tree i touch it:dull:( shhhh don't laugh lol ) i believe we get strength from nature .

I think everyone has their own way to feed their soul/spirit something that they believe in that helps them live their life they lead .....be it a religion ,faith etc Growing up in A strict RC family and myself having afew issues with certain things about what happens to some souls :wideeyed:i'll wait and see and may have an arguement at the gates if i get that far lol :laugh:

I also believe we give a little soul ( sounds like a song? ) to our children which we leave with them :yes:

Brides x

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Guest guest37336
:notworthy:Tony what a great post , I feel my soul/spirit with nature , i'm abit of a wierdo when i see a large old tree i touch it:dull:( shhhh don't laugh lol ) i believe we get strength from nature .

I think everyone has their own way to feed their soul/spirit something that they believe in that helps them live their life they lead .....be it a religion ,faith etc Growing up in A strict RC family and myself having afew issues with certain things about what happens to some souls :wideeyed:i'll wait and see and may have an arguement at the gates if i get that far lol :laugh:

I also believe we give a little soul ( sounds like a song? ) to our children which we leave with them :yes:

Brides x

Ahhh, trees Brides,:notworthy:

Not daft at all. Often look at the huge Oaks and the like and get taken aback at what they have 'seen' during their time, sort of 'calming'.:yes:

My two Herbert's 'rip' a bit off me each day, so I'll be buggered if I'm going to leave them anything else.:shocked::biglaugh:

No I know what you mean Brides, couldn't agree more.

Cheers Tony.:wubclub: