Yanks need not apply? Skill assessment queries.

Guest Slodkiy

Guest Slodkiy

Hi all-

New member, first post. My friend is an American Welder (First Class) and he wants to come to Oz permanently. His skill is on the SOL and he has years of experience and otherwise qualifies.

However, TRA will not assess his qualifications b/c he is not from a nominated country. The nominated countries are:

• China
  • Fiji
  • India
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Korea (South)
  • Pakistan
  • Philippines
  • South Africa
  • Sri Lanka
  • United Kingdom
  • United Arab Emirates (UAE)

My question is, are you serious?! He speaks English, has yonks of top experience in a skill in demand in Oz and the problem is his US passport?!:wacko:

Interested in any migration lawyers' perspectives especially. It seems like a really odd, and perhaps discriminatory, result.

Thanks in advance.

Slodkiy

Maybe the TRA cannot associate the trade qualifications of the U.S. with the trade in Australia (welding trade not comparable in US and Oz)?

I seriously doubt there is discrimination in the thought process!

Whether he can speak English or not is irrelevant in the skills assessment (only non-English certification must be officially translated to English) , that only applies to the visa application.

Guest guest59177

If it does turn out that a welder from Pakistan can indeed apply but one from America can't apply.... it would be the most asinine thing in the world. In America you would need to maintain certain standards in order to be a welder vs. the anything goes culture in Pakistan...

Hi all-

New member, first post. My friend is an American Welder (First Class) and he wants to come to Oz permanently. His skill is on the SOL and he has years of experience and otherwise qualifies.

However, TRA will not assess his qualifications b/c he is not from a nominated country. The nominated countries are:

• China

• Fiji

• India

• Iran

• Ireland

• Korea (South)

• Pakistan

• Philippines

• South Africa

• Sri Lanka

• United Kingdom

My question is, are you serious?! He speaks English, has yonks of top experience in a skill in demand in Oz and the problem is his US passport?!:wacko:

Interested in any migration lawyers' perspectives especially. It seems like a really odd, and perhaps discriminatory, result.

Thanks in advance.

Slodkiy

I believe its political more than anything else... Ever tried getting a visa to work in the states? Not easy i lived there for 14years and had a work visa but it took many years of visa applications. Also US citizens are unable to get visas for UK.

If it does turn out that a welder from Pakistan can indeed apply but one from America can't apply.... it would be the most asinine thing in the world. In America you would need to maintain certain standards in order to be a welder vs. the anything goes culture in Pakistan...

That is the exact reason behind the skills assessment!

If you cannot prove that your skills are the equivalent to the skills outlined for a particular job in Australia, your assessment will not be granted, regardless what the "culture" is in a particular part of the world.

Hi all-

• China

• Fiji

• India

• Iran

• Ireland

• Korea (South)

• Pakistan

• Philippines

• South Africa

• Sri Lanka

• United Kingdom

Thanks in advance.

Slodkiy

I think that your friend should email VETASSESS directly. Sometimes these sites post information about countries that commonly apply to get skills assessed.

The US is not a common country - most people there don't tend to emigrate.

Sorry, but your friend misunderstood that site.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm

Guest guest59177
That is the exact reason behind the skills assessment!

If you cannot prove that your skills are the equivalent to the skills outlined for a particular job in Australia, your assessment will not be granted, regardless what the "culture" is in a particular part of the world.

Agreed. I am only saying that if Americans aren't even allowed to get an assessment, then it's totally stupid.

Agreed. I am only saying that if Americans aren't even allowed to get an assessment, then it's totally stupid.

I was talking to a woman from a different site and she didn't want to apply to vetassess because her country wasn't on that list, but she emailed them and they told her they don't name every country.

TRA will not assess his qualifications b/c he is not from a nominated country. The nominated countries are:

• China

• Fiji

• India

• Iran

• Ireland

• Korea (South)

• Pakistan

• Philippines

• South Africa

• Sri Lanka

• United Kingdom

No, that is the list for the TRA's "Offshore Skills Assessment Program". Applicants from countries not on that list should apply for a skills assessment under the alternative "TRA Migration Skills Assessment". Similarly people who are from countries that are on the list are not entitled to a "TRA Migration Skills Assessment" because they have to use the "Offshore Skills Assessment Program".

No, that is the list for the TRA's "Offshore Skills Assessment Program". Applicants from countries not on that list should apply for a skills assessment under the alternative "TRA Migration Skills Assessment". Similarly people who are from countries that are on the list are not entitled to a "TRA Migration Skills Assessment" because they have to use the "Offshore Skills Assessment Program".

So can he not just apply for for the TRA migration skills assessment?

So can he not just apply for for the TRA migration skills assessment?

Yes he can. But he's obviously failed the TRA english test by not working that out himself by reading their website properly and instead thinks the offshore program is the only assessment they do.

Guest Slodkiy

Hi Ken-

Thanks for your reply. Can you point me in the direction of the basis of your distinction between "TRA Migration Skills Assessment" and "Offshore Skills Assessment Program"?

On the Vetassess site, it does not make this distinction: http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm

Cheers,

Slodkiy

Guest Slodkiy
Yes he can. But he's obviously failed the TRA english test by not working that out himself by reading their website properly and instead thinks the offshore program is the only assessment they do.

I don't think it's a question of his English, but thanks for your gratuitous comments.

I've consulted the Migration Skills Assessment Guidelines and it notes that the applicant must be from "a country and in a nominated occupation covered by the TRA Migration Skills Assessment program".

See here, at 2.4a: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/residenceVisa/Skilled/Documents/MigrationSkillsGuidelines.pdf

Others' insights would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

I've consulted the Migration Skills Assessment Guidelines and it notes that the applicant must be from "a country and in a nominated occupation covered by the TRA Migration Skills Assessment program".

See here, at 2.4a: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/residenceVisa/Skilled/Documents/MigrationSkillsGuidelines.pdf

Others' insights would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Yes, it would help if they spelled out which countries are covered, but infact all countries are covered except those covered by the Offshore Skills Assessment Program.

If you look on the first page of TRA's website you'll see the two different programs listed separately although "There are a range of Skills Assessments. Read the information below to find out which skills assessment will meet your needs." is probably not the best way for them to have distinguished them.

I believe its political more than anything else... Ever tried getting a visa to work in the states? Not easy i lived there for 14years and had a work visa but it took many years of visa applications. Also US citizens are unable to get visas for UK.

If it were political, then Americans wouldn't be allowed to lodge visa applications? But as it is, VETASSESS, ACS, Engineers Australia and the rest do allow North American applications. Canada and the whole EU are also excluded from that TRA list, so how can it be political?