BEWARE - Rentals and Pets

Guest guest52672

Guest guest52672

I want to let you all know how hard it is to find a rental with a pet in Perth at the moment. I wish someone had advised me of this before I made the decision to move here as I would not have arrived without accommodation sorted.

I left my dog in the UK, he is due to fly out next week... sadly though I can not bring him as I still can not find a rental that allows pets. I am crushed... I cry every day and basically if it does not happen soon then I am going to go back to the UK with my family in tow. Everyone says 'get over it, it's a dog' NO... He is MY dog, MY family and I want life with him... I would NEVER have left him in the UK... from day 1 he was always coming... I honestly thought I would have found a house ready for his arrival... but no... there is nothing!! Please, please bear this in mind... I have not only shed a million tears, I have also lost a hell of a lot of money too :sad:

(So you know, I am looking for a 4x2 NOR Perth WA)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird as where I live I just negotiated having my dog and my friend who lives nearby secured a rental no probs with her naughty beagle we both just had to pay the pet bond

I am in Sydney so cannot help, but maybe folk in Perth who have rentals and pets could share their agent details with you in a PM. If they are allowed pets chances are the same agency may be able to help out. Good luck, I am sure it will all get sorted out. And for the record, I agree and would never have left my cats behind either :hug:

We are renting a 4x2 in hocking(nor) we have a dog.

Try realmark agents to see what they've got.

Even gumtree have rentals. It's a case of persisting and checking the websites every few hrs as they up date alot.

We were very lucky. The agent contacted the owners and explained they could be missing out on very good clients so she agreed pets were allowed! It took a lot of convincing though.

Every property will vary, its not up to the agent ,its up to the owner of the house.

It is much harder to secure a rental with a pet and does sometimes mean you cant live exactly where you want, by this i mean ,if you want to live IN the city you will struggle ,go further afield and things may be a little different.

A few things to do in this situation are -

- Always ask about having a dog there EVEN if it says no pets on the ad.

- Offer an extra Pet Bond , not just verbally to the agent but write it on your application form.

- Where possible bring 'Pet refernces' from people or kennels where your pet has stayed.

- Offer to keep the dog outisde.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
Maybe you should listen to 'Everyone' and put the feelings, emotional well being and financial stability of the rest of your family over your own..

I'm sorry but to some their pet IS part of the family, I wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

Guest The Pom Queen

You shouldn't have these problems as there are plenty out there that will consider pets, don't just look for ones that say pets welcome as you won't find any. Apply for the houses you want and then offer to pay a pet bond etc.

Guest guest52672
Maybe you should listen to 'Everyone' and put the feelings, emotional well being and financial stability of the rest of your family over your own..

Peach... I can't believe you wrote that.... I put this post on to advise others so they do not end up in the same position... you are obviously not an animal lover.. now go away.

Guest Karen and Colin

Sent you a PM hope you don't mind. You will find something and you still have lots of time before your dog is due out of quarantine. We had a nightmare with our dog before we left and thought we would have to come without him and it was the worst feeling ever so I totally understand why you are so upset. :hug:

I want to let you all know how hard it is to find a rental with a pet in Perth at the moment. I wish someone had advised me of this before I made the decision to move here as I would not have arrived without accommodation sorted.

I left my dog in the UK, he is due to fly out next week... sadly though I can not bring him as I still can not find a rental that allows pets. I am crushed... I cry every day and basically if it does not happen soon then I am going to go back to the UK with my family in tow. Everyone says 'get over it, it's a dog' NO... He is MY dog, MY family and I want life with him... I would NEVER have left him in the UK... from day 1 he was always coming... I honestly thought I would have found a house ready for his arrival... but no... there is nothing!! Please, please bear this in mind... I have not only shed a million tears, I have also lost a hell of a lot of money too :sad:

For goodness sake are you really going to give up that easily?

This is not going to be the last or biggest hurdle you have to face. If plan A isn't working out - come up with plan B! Delay the dogs trip, book a boarding kennel here until you get a house sorted etc. Stop crying - it isn't going to help you or your situation and start thinking about the other options you have.

Guest Jadeanna

Hi,

I am here almost 3 months. I am picking my dog up from Byford quarantine on Thursday. Like youI was really starting to panic about finding a pet friendly rental. It was hard enough trying to find a suitable suburb, price, size etc... Then the extra restriction of having a pet. At one stage my husband said maybe we should think about not bringing her for a few month's more. But, for me that was not an option.

Everytime I searched for properties to rent I would tick the box that said "pet friendly" and the options were minimal.

Do not give up. I eventually found a place on Gumtree Perth. I deal with the owner of the house directly. Initially I didn't mention the dog, but when we signed the lease and I had a bit of a relationship built I mentioned the dog was shipping over from Ireland and I showed the house owner a picture. He had no problem with it, but said I would need to pay an extra $100 pet bond. But then he never even asked for the bond. We now live in a great house in South Perth right beside the foreshore and our beloved pet will be with us this week.

So much work goes into shipping a pet I really think you should go ahead with it. If worse comes to worse you can put your animal in a kennel until you find the right place. But I really think if you know your pet is on the way you will find the right place. If you quit and let your pet stay at home, you will give up on finding the right place and just be defeated.

Do not listen to people who are being critical to you. I completely understand. My pet came into my life at a very important time and brought me a lot of comfort. A bond with a pet can be as strong as the bond with a family member and some people just don't understand that, because they have never experienced it.

The joy I feel that I'm going to pick her up this week is undescribable. It's that little piece of home.

People thaught I was mad to pay the money to ship a dog. But when she was dropped to the airport by my family and inlaw's they were all devastated to see her go.

I hope it all works out for you. And please don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way.

:@)

Peach... I can't believe you wrote that.... I put this post on to advise others so they do not end up in the same position... you are obviously not an animal lover.. now go away.

Actually, I do love animals - I just love my family more. And were I to be in your position it would be my priority to ensure that the needs and wants of my family were being met - before I started to worry about the dog. I presume they're all onboard with the idea of packing up and moving back to the UK for the pooch?

Actually, I do love animals - I just love my family more. And were I to be in your position it would be my priority to ensure that the needs and wants of my family were being met - before I started to worry about the dog. I presume they're all onboard with the idea of packing up and moving back to the UK for the pooch?

Hopefully it wont come to that, im sure they will find a pet friendly house eventually

I know we're in Melbourne, not Perth, but...

Jon and I found a place to rent with Satch no problems at all - just don't limit yourself to pet-friendly only. Unless an ad specifically says No pets, the landlord will usually consider you.

In fact out of 2 applications we put in (both for nice houses and not very expensive) we got both and had a choice.

But, if we'd searched only for 'pets allowed' instead of just excluding those adverts that said 'no pets' we wouldn't have found either place. Be patient (and realistic) you'll get there.

:)

I was watching a programme recently where they said, landlords would pick a dog over a child anyday. The reason being that they can legally ask for a pet bond, but cannot ask for a child bond, and in their experience young kids do more damage, if youve got both that may be a problem, If I were you, I would throw money at it, like the others have said agree to pay an over the top pet bond. Good luck :wubclub:

Hi There,

Thanks for the warning, we too are planning to move over in the new year, husband in February and me in April - we have 2 small dogs well behaved and house trained!

We will be looking for an unfurnished place to stay, initially my husband will be in temporary accommodation and so will I until May when the mutts are out of their quarantine period, so like you I will be trying to find a rental who allows dogs.

We are moving to Queensland so I am hoping that it is easier there, but I have read so many threads about how bad it is to rent somewhere in OZ.

Thanks again for your warning, at least now I can start to contact agents, I know it is ages off yet, but once I am there, a month will go pretty darn quick.

Your right these dogs are like our family, and we believe in a dog is for life, not just for Christmas, I could not imagine my life without my tres joli:sad:es!

Guest MontyClaude

I really hope you get sorted. I'm not in Perth but we have pets and had no problem with getting a rental. I've met a few others with pets too and they haven't struggled. I think as long as you are looking for "suitable" accommodation you should be okay. I really feel for you, being apart from them is just hellish and if I couldn't be with them I wouldn't have come!

Guest StellaBridger

Laura is right, its is very hard to get a rental with pets in Perth right now. My one tip is not to tick the pets welcome button on realestate.com.au or domain.com.au. There are many more rentals that will accept pets than will show up on those searches and this is how we found ours. We have two cats and even if it does not say pets considered its worth phoning up to check. Getting a rental here is very different from the UK so you must keep at it. The market is so hot for rentals the agents will not phone you back, you have to chase them. We are having to break our lease in January as where we are is just too far for my husband to drive to work each day which is probably too late for you, but you could pm me if you want more info as it is a pet friendly 4x2 in Quinns. Keep your chin up!

Guest mandyandbarry

We are due to move to Perth in 3 weeks. I applied for 2 rental houses last week, both said pets considered. We got the second one. I think it depends on where you want to live and maybe whether you already have a job or not. A lot of the rentals in the SOR areas in Perth actually say pets on application or pets considered.

Good luck

Mandy

Guest guest52672

Hi All... thanks for the replies and I hope some of you back in the UK are more prepared then I was. My husband has a good job here, but unfortunately the ratio of NO PETS to PETS CONSIDERED is around 20:1 where we are looking. Not just the pet issue though, there is a lack of housing altogether.

Some of you talk as if I have sat back and want everything to land at my feet... believe me, I spend HOURS each day on the net, realestate.com, gumtree, rent, reiwa and I spend HOURS chasing agents. So far, it has got me no-where. Also... I can't just live anywhere... there are lots of things to consider, like travelling to work, schools, family near by etc.

I have had to leave Scooby back in the UK... He would have arrived today if it had gone to plan. The option of putting him in kennels after quarantine was not one I would consider. I was not also prepared to shell out £3000 and him arrive to no home.

So... instead we are going home... I would pick my life with my dog back in the UK over Australia any day of the week, rain or shine.

Good luck to all of you who have managed to find accommodation... I wish you well. XX

Guest MontyClaude

Oh you poor thing. Are you really going home? How about moving state or would work be an issue? I know there are quite a few rentals in Melbourne that accept pets. When we were moving we also found a few in QLD cos we were considering moving there. I agree though, I couldn't be without my furries, they are much more important to me than a country. I really hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.