Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Working from Aus for a UK company?

Recommended Posts

Hi there,


If this has been covered in a previous thread, apologies!


We have got our PR visas and were planning on going out to QLD in 2012 and looking for work. However, my hubby's company have started discussing the option of employing him remotely in AUS. (He's a web designer).


Does anyone have experience of working for a UK company whilst in AUS? Did you get paid into a UK bank account -pay UK taxes or did you have it transferred into Aussie bank account and pay full taxes that end.


We are going to consult an Aussie accountant when we go to validate our visas in Feb, but any advice from people in a similar situation would be gratefully received!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really able to comment much but would be interested to hear if people can shed any light.


One thing to consider, with the exchange rate as it is, is it really financially viable to do this long term?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested in hearing what people think on this too. My o/h works in IT and his company have suggested the same thing.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was VERY lucky in that when I resigned from my company in the UK prior to migrating they asked me to work as a contractor for the from Australia. I work in IT and they like the idea of offering their customers extended technical support hours.


All I had to do was get a tax file number (like everyone else) and an Australian Business Number which was simple to do online.


Now I email my company in the UK an invoice each month in Australian Dollars, a few days later the money is in my Australian Bank account. I'm not sure what it is the accountants do over there as, of course, the amount of Steling they need to pay me changes each month - I can ask the accountant if you want to know more.


I take all my invoices and receipts to the accountants at the end of the tax year (which is the begining of July in Australia btw!) and then the Australian Tax Office bills me every 3 months for last years tax.


As far as I'm concerned it's all pretty straight forward.


Let me know if you need to know more.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Geoff, that's a brilliant answer and really helpful. My husband is currently pitching this idea to his boss to become a night-shift graphic & Web designer!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is more than one way of this being administered.


Geoff's method is good where the individual has a permanent residency visa. You need to watch the personal services company anti avoidance tax provisions though:



An alternative (which works for subclass 457 employer sponsored visaholders) is for an Australian payroll to be set up and administered in Australia. An Australian branch or subsidiary company need not be registered for this purpose, but often is where income from Australian customers is being derived.


Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now