You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

fantasia

Temporary home wanted for dog still in UK

Can anyone help or have a suggestion? My dog is in boarding kennels in the UK where he has been for a year. I brought over my other dog and cat but poor Casper failed the Ehrlichia test and had to stay behind. I couldn't bear to have him put to sleep! Obviously its costing an absolute fortune to keep him there, the kennels are very nice and the owner is lovely, but obviously now that the UK has been downgraded for rabies, he will have to go through the whole process of injection/blood test and then the quarantine period. I would have sent for him sooner after a retest (assuming the Ehrlichia test was negative of course!), but then I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cancer and had to have a hysterectromy, which meant I couldn't work for a while. I am well now, and go back to work on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone knows of someone who could offer Casper a temporary home whilst he is undergoing the 5 month quarantine period after he has had the rabies jab and blood test. Obviously I would pay for his food and any vets fees that would be required. Family can't (won't) help out and can't understand why I spend so much money on my pets, they are just suggesting I have him put to sleep and say "you're mad!!". Well, that's their opinion, and my brother lives on a farm so plenty of room for a small dog!!! But won't take him. He is a small mixed breed terrier, 10 years old, but fit and healthy, lovely natured, playful but isn't really used to children. He's good with other small dogs, and loves lots of cuddles (which he hasn't had for quite some time - poor thing!) If there is anyone out there who could take him in for 5 months or knows of someone who could - or has any suggestions please pm me.

I'm sorry to hear the problems you have faced and I agree there is no way your little one should be PTS'd. I would have a chat with your veterinarian they may have one of their vet nurses etc who would be willing to care for your little one until you get everything organised.

Also chat with the animal welfare associations, there are schemes where they can place your pet in to foster care until you are able to take them back, a lot of the services are for people suffering from domestic violence etc, but there are a couple of other schemes in place.

If you still have trouble please send me a pm and I can put you in touch with a few who could help.

When did your dog last fail the test? It may be worth trying to get him retested and sent over before the new rules come in to affect in January.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Can anyone help or have a suggestion? My dog is in boarding kennels in the UK where he has been for a year. I brought over my other dog and cat but poor Casper failed the Ehrlichia test and had to stay behind. I couldn't bear to have him put to sleep! Obviously its costing an absolute fortune to keep him there, the kennels are very nice and the owner is lovely, but obviously now that the UK has been downgraded for rabies, he will have to go through the whole process of injection/blood test and then the quarantine period. I would have sent for him sooner after a retest (assuming the Ehrlichia test was negative of course!), but then I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cancer and had to have a hysterectromy, which meant I couldn't work for a while. I am well now, and go back to work on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone knows of someone who could offer Casper a temporary home whilst he is undergoing the 5 month quarantine period after he has had the rabies jab and blood test. Obviously I would pay for his food and any vets fees that would be required. Family can't (won't) help out and can't understand why I spend so much money on my pets, they are just suggesting I have him put to sleep and say "you're mad!!". Well, that's their opinion, and my brother lives on a farm so plenty of room for a small dog!!! But won't take him. He is a small mixed breed terrier, 10 years old, but fit and healthy, lovely natured, playful but isn't really used to children. He's good with other small dogs, and loves lots of cuddles (which he hasn't had for quite some time - poor thing!) If there is anyone out there who could take him in for 5 months or knows of someone who could - or has any suggestions please pm me.

Oh you poor soul what a nightmare for you, i have 2 dogs and 2 cats so know what your feelings are, i am waiting for my visa which i hope to get in june and taking my 2 dogs with me, they have had the rabies jabs and passed the blood test. I really hope someone offers some help for you, where is your dog boarding? If no body gets back to you PM me, i live on The Wirral near Liverpool. I hate the flippant attitude when an animal is a bind of putting it down as they say, i am a believer a pet is part of the family and should be treated as so, i take my hat off to you for loving your little dog so much .

Ann:animal-dog:

Thanks for your advice, I shall certainly look into a couple of your suggestions. Casper failed the Ehrlichia test in May. I did try and organise something to try and beat the deadline of 1st January, and contacted Chris at Golden Arrow Shippers who organised the flights for my dog and cat in June. Unfortunately, he told me he had notification from AQIS 'yesterday' to say all the documentation must be lodged with AQIS before Monday (28th November) in order to beat the deadline and he also said that all the flights are booked out too!!! I think AQIS must be onto the fact that people are trying to beat the system and thought they'd put a stop to that. I had a very negative experience with AQIS when I dealt with them before when my dog and cat came over, so doesn't surprise me.

Hi Ann, thanks for your good wishes. Casper is boarded at Calcot Boarding Kennels at a place called Bryford, which is near Holywell in North Wales. The owner, Vicky, is lovely and the kennels are in a beautiful spot and are heated. Vicky has been very patient and kind, even though she has made a few thousand dollars out of me, she was happy to take my pets without up front payment, when I had to return to Australia in November last year. My brother lives not far from you and my mother lives in Llandudno, and has her house on the market at the moment so she can move to Southport, or somewhere around there. I have had a couple of really helpful tips from other PIO members which I shall certainly follow up. I actually took three dogs and a cat back to the UK in March 2010. I found a lovely home for Charlie, my beautiful Maltese X Poodle, not far from Holywell. They are a lovely family with a gorgeous home with a huge garden. The lady takes him for heaps of walks and has even bought a bike with a basket on the front to take him out cycling in the country! I visited them obviously before handing him over. She said she would take Casper too, but then her husband said no, only one dog! I shall never forget the look on his face when I put him in the car for his trip to his new home..... every time I think of him I see his face and I get it really hurts!!! But I know he is happy and well loved.

Hi Ann, thanks for your good wishes. Casper is boarded at Calcot Boarding Kennels at a place called Bryford, which is near Holywell in North Wales. The owner, Vicky, is lovely and the kennels are in a beautiful spot and are heated. Vicky has been very patient and kind, even though she has made a few thousand dollars out of me, she was happy to take my pets without up front payment, when I had to return to Australia in November last year. My brother lives not far from you and my mother lives in Llandudno, and has her house on the market at the moment so she can move to Southport, or somewhere around there. I have had a couple of really helpful tips from other PIO members which I shall certainly follow up. I actually took three dogs and a cat back to the UK in March 2010. I found a lovely home for Charlie, my beautiful Maltese X Poodle, not far from Holywell. They are a lovely family with a gorgeous home with a huge garden. The lady takes him for heaps of walks and has even bought a bike with a basket on the front to take him out cycling in the country! I visited them obviously before handing him over. She said she would take Casper too, but then her husband said no, only one dog! I shall never forget the look on his face when I put him in the car for his trip to his new home..... every time I think of him I see his face and I get it really hurts!!! But I know he is happy and well loved.

If you get no joy from the tips you have been given then PO me again, i would look after him for you until you can send for him, my only concerns are my time frame waiting for my visa it's roughly taking 12mths for a co and i have been waiting 6mths aleady but thats not really the problem as i have a daughter who's a dog lover who would care for him until he's ready to join you, she lives with me just now and has 2 cats so if he's ok with cats there shouldn't be a problem. So glad you found a lovely home for charlie the lady is looking after him well with a bike and a basket, talk about traveling in style....bless him. I had to re home a dog as my son was allergic to his coat, like you say it's heartbreaking seeing their faces as they leave. But hey, the possitive is you found a really loving home for him. If nothing comes from the tips given you, please contact me as i would be feeling like you in the same situation.Ann

Thank you so much. I am going to contact the kennel's vet and arrange his rabies injection and the blood test. I am also going to contact some dog fostering organisations to see if they can help. If these options don't work I'll let you know. I have uploaded Casper's photo onto my avatar. It was taken in 2009.

Thank you so much. I am going to contact the kennel's vet and arrange his rabies injection and the blood test. I am also going to contact some dog fostering organisations to see if they can help. If these options don't work I'll let you know. I have uploaded Casper's photo onto my avatar. It was taken in 2009.

He looks like my Megan she's a cross ****su/ cairn and BOB is a ****su which i can never spell correctly. Megan is more cairn. I walk them daily without fail along the Wirral way, or the farm feilds near me. See how you go and if all else fails don't be fretting he can come here. Keep in touch. Ann

Drop me a PM. I volunteer for a couple of rescues and know the network a bit. I can ask around if one of our foster carers could take him in for a period of time. Usually if you do this as a temp thing and are not looking to rehome the dog via the rescue you'll cover vets bills and food bills etc.

I'm based in Bristol and we have foster carers all over the area and also work with other rescues that don't kennel, only foster. Hopefully someone can help you out. Give me a shout.