Visa Granted

cass73

Hi guys I have not been on here for a while what with one thing and another. Well there istwas sat in our email in box two days ago our visa has been granted and needs to be activated by june 20th 2011. which i reckon gives me just enough time to get xmas over with and get super organised.

i am finding the idea of moving really scary now its here so im focusing on just one yr (knowing that im going to love it)but i find i can get through it better this way.

Any advice about the whole moving process would be really welcome

thanks Cass

Congratulations! I remember the day when we got our visas granted - what a great day :jiggy:

There are a few bits of advice that I can think of:

1. Organise a Skype account/installation and trial it with the appropriate people before you go. For us it helped with certain family members a lot to be able to demonstrate just how easy it will continue to be to have "face to face" conversations after moving. If you get a laptop with a webcam and microphone it is absurdly easy to do.

2. Try and book a flight where you get extra allowance for emigrating - we went with Singapore Airlines who gave us double (40kg each) and then Jet Star from Melbourne to Hobart who also allowed us 40kg (for a fee).

3. Really plan what you are shipping and what you are taking. The period of time between your belongings being shipped and you flying out can be quite a challenge logistically. For example you will still need to eat, sleep, sit down, clean etc etc after your stuff has left. What you are left with after your main belongings have shipped is either coming with you on the plane or being sold/binned/given away.

4. Buy a cheap luggage scales - we used a hanging one. Make sure you know that what you're packing is under your limit before your shipping leaves. Once your shipping has left that's it - if you're over the weight limit things need to be left behind.

5. The last few weeks will be hard emotionally, not to mention the million and one things you need to do. Be prepared for that but also take time to look at certain things that remind you of why you're going. Perhaps make a list of a few things to do once you arrive.

6. Book good accomodation for when you arrive. We stayed here and it's really good. It is fantastic to be able to walk to North Hobart and all the restaurants - not to mention the CBD is also within walking distance, although it is a bit of a trek back up the hill. I remember our first afternoon (we'd been travelling 40 hours by then) there was a strong sense of "what have we done - let's go back now". That feeling was gone by the next morning but if we were staying in rubbish accomodation I don't think that would have helped. If you want info on the accomodation, do feel free to PM me.

That will probably do for the moment! I will probably think of more - in fact I may expand on this and turn it into a post on my blog (link below - sorry for the shameless plug!). You may find that some of the posts on there are useful. Certainly looking back, the time before we moved was no fun at all but good to look back on. Now that we are here I can categorically say that it was 100% worth it. We are absolutely loving it.

Good luck!

Tim

Congats Cass, prepare yourself for a wild rollercoaster ride over the coming year! To add to the excellent advice already, I would recommend bringing lots of multiplugs. That way you only need one uk/aus convertor plug for each wall socket.

How I wish I would have thought of this, I keep having to unplug things to plug other things in all the time.

chris x

• 3 weeks later...