register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Irloz

Medical for FIFO

Guest Irloz

Hi all can anyone help with info on medical's for FIFO , as to what's involved and how long does it take, also what happens if you fail!! My mate just went through one this week and it took 3hrs and he had to do loads of exercises, is this the norm,

Thanks

I assume you mean the medical for the resources industry? We do teh Coal board medical (CBM) though they probably have interstate and other resource equivalents. If it's the same you'll do a drug and alcohol test (take any medications to the medical with you incase they give a false positive. Avoide codeine and anything to do with poppyseed the week before-I once failed as having heroin in my system from eating a poppyseed bagel the night before, it really is sensitive)

There's an eye test and hearing test, some will require a chest x-ray, and the exercises your mate did are normally things like can you do a single sit up/pushup/stand on one leg, pick up 10kg.

It is very hard to fail it - you only have to look at the amount of enormous people in the industry. My mate had a fail for previously undiagnosed diabetes so all he had to do was to go on pills, see a dietician and get a management plan in place before sign-off, took about 3 weeks and a bit of faffing around, the medical has a section saying what's wrong with you and what you need to do about it.

Guest Irloz

Thanks so not as bad as I thought :-)