Have any single parents already made the move to Oz?

Guest Julie & Eleanor

Guest Julie & Eleanor

I am a single mom with a 7 year old daughter and I am trying to organise a secondment to Sydney for a couple of years. I'm worried about moving away from my support network as I will have to do the school run every day as well as work full time. Has anyone already been through this? How common are after school clubs and how easy is it to organise childcare?

I really want to experience the Australian lifestyle but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by going it alone.:wacko:

Good on ya for contemplating it on your own ,its a big move.I cant speak for sydney but in brisbane before and after school clubs are pretty norm and lots of kids seem to use them.They also do lots of things in school hols like circus clubs and trips out,,good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest joanneG

Hi there

Am awaiting CO as we speak. Am going it alone with my daughter who is 10. I can really empathise with how hard the decision is, but i just think you never know unless you go and at worse you can always come back.. My daughter v. excited which made my decision much easier

Good luck.

TRA Passed: early August

Visa Lodged: 29th August

Acknowledged: 12th September

I really admire you guys!! Just reding the threads on this site makes you realise how much us Brits love our kids, we just want the best for them xx Good Luck:spinny:Adele x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

It has been a dream of mine to move down under for a few years now. I suspended my move a couple of years ago thinking it would be wrong to take my boy away from his family.

I am now regretting that decision. I may regret moving but I have decided to give it a go. I have just moved house to be near my folks to get help to be told that my boy will grow up to be a pansy because I tell him not to hit people. The help I was promised has not materialised. It may take me a while to make the move financially but I am going to make it happen this time.

I have had enough of trying to live my life to keep others happy when it is never reciprocated.

Where are you thinking of moving too?

Hope it all goes well for you.

Sharon

x

Scoop...we were just talking about you on the where are they now thread, we thought you had been around recently but couldn't be sure.

I thought i had seen it a while back that you had decided to postpone for a while.

I think anyone contemplating making the move alone is extremely courageous I don't think I could its a big step and dont think i'm brave enough, have to say I admire you all.

Someone I met through a similar forum has made the move with her 2 teenage kids and dog as a nurse she had a job to go to and has settled in nicely and is enjoying life.

Good luck to you on your move.

Hi Wardy

Was reading the thread the other night and felt a little nostalgic. Have tried to settle here, making the move close to the folks, now realising this was a mistake. I am going to visit friends in Aus next year and do a little research on child care around shift patterns. With my boy being a preschooler and Aus kids starting school later it may be a challenge. I am hoping it will work out the desire to move just will not go away.

Expect to see me on here a little more in the future, if you can bear it.

Take care

SCoop

x

Guest anilaloop

Hiya

Im the same, there is just my son (13) and I and Im starting to worry about not having a support network when I need to work full time!!. Goodluck and let me know how it goes!!

Takecare

• 5 months later...
Guest tess1

Hi - Im hoping to make the move alone with 4 boys - I have an interview next month - looking to hear from anyone that has done it!

Hi all, im a mum of 1 (3yrs old) and arrived in perth 3 months ago, daunting at first as we dont know anyone here. Im working as a nurse and had put my daughter on childacre waiting lists before we left-as there can be around 6 months wait. Working well for me as i work night shifts-have a uni student who has a free room with us in return for babysitting over night whilst i work. Finding it a bit hard to meet people as either working or at home in the eve cos of the little one (cant afford too many babysitters for the eves!) but i think we will get there slowly. Definatly enjoying it, and great for kids here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joanneG

Hi All

Not been on for a while been hectic trying to empty my house have to move out in 8 weeks and thought i didn't have much....big mistake.. Good to see there are a few more of us taking the plunge alone..any of you single parents want to chat about it please pm me

Good luck everyone

Joanne x

• 2 months later...

I've finally found the thread that will give me a bit of a boost. I am a single parent to my daughter Alicia who is 6. We will be moving to Adelaide in January as i have a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Its great to see more people who have done it on there own.

How have other people managed shift work and childcare? I saw suzy has a uni-student staying with her but wondered if anyone had gone down the route of childcare centres for nights or family day care for weekends. Also how have people worked it for a late shift? I don't want to have to put Alicia in overnight care when i'll be finishing at around 21:30, but thats to late to pick her up when she has school in the morning and nannies look like they cost a fortune.

Also, Just wondered if anyone had been able to secure set shifts to help with childcare arrangements? i'm living in dreamland that Oz is a bit more family friendly when it comes to working in hospitals.

Sorry, i'll stop rambling now. Becomes a habit on night shifts.

Emma

Hi Ems,

i have found personally that it all depends on your manager as to how childfriendly they are! Despite my hospital company advertising balance home/work life/childfriendly etc. I have had an awful time with my current boss and have got a new job in the same hospital-seems my current boss 'wont let me' leave till november due to staff shortages, and am currently doing battle to take up my new job as they cant actually keep me! Anyway the point is my new job is in recovery and day shifts (have done nights since arriving here except for induction weeks) and the new boss sounds very flexible and understanding, have said i cant do too many late shifts, and start times are 8am earliest so i will be able to get my daughter to day care.

Another solution to childcare maybe to share a nanny with someone to cut down the costs or find a 'mummy-nanny' (someone who looks after your child but also has their own with them)-usually a much cheaper alternative.

Thanks Suzy

I will have to look into those options with the nannies. Anything that makes it cheaper.

Hopefully i will have a good boss that can be slightly flexible. I just remembered when i started my nurse training and the NHS said how family friendly it was, i discovered this not to be true in my second year as a student.

Hope you get into the new job soon, its amazing what places try and do but your right they can't keep you if you don't want to stay.

Good luck with everything and thanks again for the info.

Emma.

• 5 months later...

Just had to but in and say Hi Emma. Stumbled on your thread during one of my late night stressing sessions!!! As Emma knows! I am also a nurse and single Mum. Worrying about most things but mainly money. Am heading to Sydney and have been told it is very expensive. Anyone in or heading to Sydney??:jiggy:

I've finally found the thread that will give me a bit of a boost. I am a single parent to my daughter Alicia who is 6. We will be moving to Adelaide in January as i have a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Its great to see more people who have done it on there own.

How have other people managed shift work and childcare? I saw suzy has a uni-student staying with her but wondered if anyone had gone down the route of childcare centres for nights or family day care for weekends. Also how have people worked it for a late shift? I don't want to have to put Alicia in overnight care when i'll be finishing at around 21:30, but thats to late to pick her up when she has school in the morning and nannies look like they cost a fortune.

Also, Just wondered if anyone had been able to secure set shifts to help with childcare arrangements? i'm living in dreamland that Oz is a bit more family friendly when it comes to working in hospitals.

Sorry, i'll stop rambling now. Becomes a habit on night shifts.

Emma

Just had to but in and say Hi Emma. Stumbled on your thread during one of my late night stressing sessions!!! As Emma knows! I am also a nurse and single Mum. Worrying about most things but mainly money. Am heading to Sydney and have been told it is very expensive. Anyone in or heading to Sydney??:jiggy:

Hello Jane .

Fancy seeing you on here. I went to bed at 10 and just got up as not sleeping for some reason tonight. Hope you manage to meet some more people in Sydney. C u at my leaving do.xxx

Guest Davidgolf

Hi Jane

we were from suffolk, just outside of Ipswich a place called Martlesham heath were are u from

sharon

we are now in Brisbane and love it good luck with ur move x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unocheekin

Do any single mums want to get together and help each other out??

I want to move to Oz as a nurse but child friendly hours seem out of the question and childcare is expensive....if a few of us could meet up..talk about options we could possibly share a house and do job share shifts?

Maybe a bit forward thinking could be very useful. I feel its about time single mums had a chance to have a happy life too.

Hi Sharon Sorry only just spotted your reply. Yes I know Martlesham Heath. I live in stowmarket. Cant wait to leave Suffolk now. It has been VV cold this winter. :sad:Glad to hear its going well xx

• 1 month later...
Guest dervile
Hi there

It has been a dream of mine to move down under for a few years now. I suspended my move a couple of years ago thinking it would be wrong to take my boy away from his family.

I am now regretting that decision. I may regret moving but I have decided to give it a go. I have just moved house to be near my folks to get help to be told that my boy will grow up to be a pansy because I tell him not to hit people. The help I was promised has not materialised. It may take me a while to make the move financially but I am going to make it happen this time.

I have had enough of trying to live my life to keep others happy when it is never reciprocated.

Where are you thinking of moving too?

Hope it all goes well for you.

Sharon

x

Hi there

Just read your post from 2005. did you ever make it to oz?

I am thinking of moving out there with my two teenage sons. I keep getting cold feet but the desire just wont go away.

Let me know how you got on pls.

D x

Guest jane99
Hi there

Just read your post from 2005. did you ever make it to oz?

I am thinking of moving out there with my two teenage sons. I keep getting cold feet but the desire just wont go away.

Let me know how you got on pls.

D x

I am going out to Sydney with my 11 year old and cant wait! Have discovered lots of other single Mums that have made the move too.

I am going out to Sydney with my 11 year old and cant wait! Have discovered lots of other single Mums that have made the move too.

Hi Jane.

Your gonna love it. If you can get the balance between work and home life then what else could you ask for. With the shifts i've got i think things are gonna work out great. Lets just hope i like the ward. Can't wait till your in Sydney and we can start planning the holidays. It'll be great to see another part of Oz (although at the mo i have a lot to learn about Adelaide still lol).

Good luck with everything.

Em + Alicia.xxx

Archived