Student Visa to Permanent Resident?

Angjol

Hi,

I need info about student visa if im moving with my Husband and mother in law.

I want to initially go on a student visa to study for a diploma over the course of 2 years with the intention of applying for a permanent visa once I complete my studies,

I have 2 questions with which I'd be delighted to hear any response to,

1: Has anybody had any experience with a Student Visa to Permanent Resident?What difficulties can we face? Are the rules tough for bridging visas?

2: I've read all the Great things about Oz but I'd love to hear from somebody who lives there to hear what its really all about,

Thanks in advance to any responders

Angjol

Hi,

I need info about student visa if im moving with my Husband and mother in law.

I want to initially go on a student visa to study for a diploma over the course of 2 years with the intention of applying for a permanent visa once I complete my studies,

I have 2 questions with which I'd be delighted to hear any response to,

1: Has anybody had any experience with a Student Visa to Permanent Resident?What difficulties can we face? Are the rules tough for bridging visas?

2: I've read all the Great things about Oz but I'd love to hear from somebody who lives there to hear what its really all about,

Thanks in advance to any responders

Angjol

1. Issues: money, nominating a skilled occupation, skills assessment, work experience, Australian study requirement, IELTS, including non-dependent relatives and so on.

Guest GoldCoastMag

If you are moving with your husband, what visa does he have. Are you eligible as a spouse on his, or is it your application that he and his mother are hoping to apply for.

If you are moving with your husband, what visa does he have. Are you eligible as a spouse on his, or is it your application that he and his mother are hoping to apply for.

I am the main applicant where as my husband would be on spouse visa and his mother as dependant...

1. Issues: money, nominating a skilled occupation, skills assessment, work experience, Australian study requirement, IELTS, including non-dependent relatives and so on.

Actually theres a twist...

We have already applied for the skill assessment as me being main appicant RECRUITMENT CONSULTANT because at first we decided to go on 475 visa but after a detailed search we came to know that immigration visas fr Pakistanis are really tough and they can take from upto 1.5 yrs to 2 so decided to choose on going on student and then applying for PR after the study completion requirement.

Kindly help us ...Are we going on the right pathway to permanent residency or is it that we might have to face manyyyyyyy difficulties????

Ok one thing more, is that we donot wanna go and live hand to mouth for 2 years on study but we want to lead a good life.

I well understand that if I am studying then i will be eligivle to work only for 20hrs per week and my husband can work full time.But what is the situation of part time jobs in Oz???Any ideassss???

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I am sure on a student visa your hubby will only be allowed to work 20 hours a week also. You will also have to pay for medical treatment etc....student visas are not the best route at all for pr visas at the end in my opinion...but maybe more knowledgeable people will be able to tell you more than I can.

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I am sure on a student visa your hubby will only be allowed to work 20 hours a week also. You will also have to pay for medical treatment etc....student visas are not the best route at all for pr visas at the end in my opinion...but maybe more knowledgeable people will be able to tell you more than I can.

I heard that my hubby would be allowed to work ful time if im studying....Can someone pls confirm this to me???

You really do need to talk to an agent. I think your chances of getting your mother in law as a dependent are somewhere between slim and none. Applications from HR countries are always going to be more of a difficult process as well.

Both you and your husband would be restricted to 20 hrs per week unless you are doing a masters or doctorate.

At the end of it there is no guarantee that you will get permanent residence - the gates to that pathway are slowly but inexorably closing and it is no longer the easy way in.

If you have kids as well then you will be up for international rate school fees for them too.

You really do need to talk to an agent. I think your chances of getting your mother in law as a dependent are somewhere between slim and none. Applications from HR countries are always going to be more of a difficult process as well.

Both you and your husband would be restricted to 20 hrs per week unless you are doing a masters or doctorate.

At the end of it there is no guarantee that you will get permanent residence - the gates to that pathway are slowly but inexorably closing and it is no longer the easy way in.

If you have kids as well then you will be up for international rate school fees for them too.

I talked to an agent today and he told that if my mother in law is financially dependant on my hubby completely, then she can be a dependant because australia needs to hav this cndition satisfied

I talked to an agent today and he told that if my mother in law is financially dependant on my hubby completely, then she can be a dependant because australia needs to hav this cndition satisfied

Ah well, agents know best I guess but if you look at the definition of dependents for students it doesnt include parents http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/definitions.htm http://www.immi.gov.au/students/students/bringing_family/ You would also need to click on the link which says which assessment level you are proposing to be because that impacts whether dependents may be brought at all.

Edited to add, that your course would need to be more than 12 months for you to bring any dependents at all as a level 4 so a postgrad diploma wouldnt be enough, you would have to look at a masters. Fees are generally going to be around $20 - $25k pa

Any other suggestions for me

Yep- you need to do what people have already suggested- invest in the services of a MARA agent- there is no magical student route to PR in Australia for a whole family .....& if you trust the agent that gave you the advice that you MIL will be classed as a dependent .... then go back to that agent - otherwise maybe look at the visa wizard to see where to start properly ??????

there is no magical student route to PR in Australia for a whole family .....& if you trust the agent that gave you the advice that you MIL will be classed as a dependent .... then go back to that agent - otherwise maybe look at the visa wizard to see where to start properly ??????

Agree with you, especially once the EOI is at place starting 2012.

MIL...... hmmmmm it will be magic if they allow an applicant to take her MIL as a dependent.

Guest IrishMiss

I am also planning to come to OZ on a student visa and as much as I would love to gain PR from studying in oz that is not how it works and the SOL and ENSOL change on a regular basis.

My suggestion would be not to study a course in australia unless you are aware and accept that you may not be eligible to stay on in australia afterwards.

I'm a former international student who graduated earlier this year and now has PR (885 visa). I studied Accounting and now work as a Graduate Accountant. It was tough for me because not only was applying for PR a long and costly process, but also job hunting is something I found very hard (especially if you don't have local experience). My advise is to be very very careful about applying for student visas now as the Government is trying to weaken the link between getting a student visa and then moving onto PR afterward and starting next year there will be an EOI system put into place for most GSM applications meaning that passing the points test for skilled migration will not be enough to get PR anymore. As stated by other posters, it's best to see a registered migration agent as they may know other avenues that could be available to you.