accommodation issues

Guest TRSly

Hi All, apologies if a similar post to this appears because I thought I had posted one earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared.

I'm arriving in Canberra on the 7th December to start my job. I'm going to spend the first night in a hotel but I'm after some reasonably cheap short term accommodation after that while I find a house to rent for when my wife and children arrive in mid January. I've tried gumtree with no success as yet and the other short term accommodation seems very pricey, $500+ per week. I was thinking more around the $200 mark. if anyone has a room, knows of somebody who has a room or can recommend some other websites / options I would be so so so grateful.

please pm me or reply to this post if you can offer any help or advice.

I think you may have to readjust your budget a bit. Cheap accommodation is at a premium and December is a bugger of a time to be trying to find it. You could check out this handout http://www.citizensadvice.org.au/content/view/37/32/ and see if there is anything in any of those places. I'd try Rahula first but the other inhabitants are probably not going to be what you are used to.

Check out http://www.wotif.com.au and see if there are any specials

Hi All, apologies if a similar post to this appears because I thought I had posted one earlier but it doesn't seem to have appeared.

I'm arriving in Canberra on the 7th December to start my job. I'm going to spend the first night in a hotel but I'm after some reasonably cheap short term accommodation after that while I find a house to rent for when my wife and children arrive in mid January. I've tried gumtree with no success as yet and the other short term accommodation seems very pricey, $500+ per week. I was thinking more around the $200 mark. if anyone has a room, knows of somebody who has a room or can recommend some other websites / options I would be so so so grateful.

please pm me or reply to this post if you can offer any help or advice.

A word of warning, getting rental accommodation in January and February is a real pain. A combination of the rental market restarting after a pause over christmas, the new intake of graduates into the public service, and new students arriving for university make the market very, very, very tight. You can probably expect to pay a premium on whatever contract you get. I would really recommend sorting your longer term accommodation out as soon as possible, and definitely before the christmas break. Otherwise expect to turn up at open days for rental properties with 30 others all going for the same place and paying more than you normally would.

A word of warning, getting rental accommodation in January and February is a real pain. A combination of the rental market restarting after a pause over christmas, the new intake of graduates into the public service, and new students arriving for university make the market very, very, very tight. You can probably expect to pay a premium on whatever contract you get. I would really recommend sorting your longer term accommodation out as soon as possible, and definitely before the christmas break. Otherwise expect to turn up at open days for rental properties with 30 others all going for the same place and paying more than you normally would.

Thanks p182.

Would love to get some advice, is there a way for us to secure a long term accommodation before we actually arriving in Canberra?

Or we could only go for a short term on arrival and slowly sort out for the long term?

Thanks p182.

Would love to get some advice, is there a way for us to secure a long term accommodation before we actually arriving in Canberra?

Or we could only go for a short term on arrival and slowly sort out for the long term?

I stand to be corrected, but I think in the ACT you have to physically view a property before you can sign a contract for it. Most letting agents won't let you take something in advance for this reason. You could try taking somewhere on a six month contract whilst looking around for something for the longer term.

Have a look at these two posts for advice:

http://the-riotact.com/how-to-succeed-in-renting-a-home-in-canberra/58530

http://the-riotact.com/best-months-to-look-for-a-place-to-rent-in-canberra/52560

From my experience renting in Canberra is very different to renting in the UK. Here most properties tend to have a viewing on a Saturday morning. Depending on the property and price lots of people turn up. Those interested put in an application. Strongest application wins - usually determined by references, employment details, no pets etc. Make sure your application is submitted first thing Monday morning, otherwise it will be gone.

I stand to be corrected, but I think in the ACT you have to physically view a property before you can sign a contract for it. Most letting agents won't let you take something in advance for this reason. You could try taking somewhere on a six month contract whilst looking around for something for the longer term.

Have a look at these two posts for advice:

http://the-riotact.com/how-to-succeed-in-renting-a-home-in-canberra/58530

http://the-riotact.com/best-months-to-look-for-a-place-to-rent-in-canberra/52560

From my experience renting in Canberra is very different to renting in the UK. Here most properties tend to have a viewing on a Saturday morning. Depending on the property and price lots of people turn up. Those interested put in an application. Strongest application wins - usually determined by references, employment details, no pets etc. Make sure your application is submitted first thing Monday morning, otherwise it will be gone.

Thanks again, that's really helpful.

I think we will have no choice but have to get a holiday accommodation for the first few weeks then..

Thanks everyone for the advice. I can see I'm going to really busy once I arrive. I think I'm going to book into a cheap hotel for the first few days and try every means at my disposal to somewhere to lodge for a couple of weeks whilst I sort out a house. As has been mentioned I'll get the inf. ready for the rentals application soI can apply instantly if I like it.

The only advice I can offer in return is that if you contact the agency with the property you are interested in they can email you an application form so that you can have it pre-filled in before the viewing. Good luck all, and keep the advice coming!!!

Keep an eye on the Canberra Times. Occasionally you get people who advertise here who don't advertise on Allhomes (private rentals). Every house we went to on Allhomes had about 30 to 50 people turn up. The house I found through the Canberra Times was a private rental and only had 2 sets of people turn up, we were one of them and got the lease. Not only that, we were the first people in as tenants as the landlord had just bought to let, so the place is in really good nick for a rental.

The Canberra Times classifieds are online, rentals can be found under Property > To Let Houses and Units. They are updated on Saturday and Wednesday (main update is on Saturday). A lot will depend on your budget and how flexible you are in whereabouts you want to live.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FreeMind

Hi All,

Can you guys help me to give an rough idea for Rent to accommodate a Bachelor (Male)...

Independent/Sharing both....

Also food + Net + Mobile charges ( Approx )...

It will be great help for me

Arriving at around Mid Jan...If VISA is processed ( keeping fingers crossed)..