Anyone live here or new in Central Coast?

Guest Downunderannie

Guest Downunderannie

My family and I have recently moved to Central Coast - and are staying in Terrigal. My OH is a bricklayer and is working in and around Central Coast, my son is 16 and will be starting Terrigal High School in January, but has got himself a summer job in a local fish restaurant, and I have a part time job in a local hotel. Anyone got any tips as to what goes on in and around the area regards to meeting friends and getting to kbow the "neighbours". It would be great to hear from anyone in the same boat, or anyone who has been here a while and can show us the ropes !:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kazphillips

Hi, we have recently moved to the Central Coast (Terrigal) in October from Sydney - moved to Australia from UK 2006, my 13yr old son goes to Terrigal High school. I also have 2 other children that go to Terrigal Public.

I live on the Central Coast as well! It's nice around here - Sydney's close enough that it's not a big deal to get the big-city stuff if you need it, but it's not too overcrowded and there's some nice rural areas around. If you want to get to know people, I'd join some of the clubs around the place; there are loads of public sport clubs, surfing schools, etc. Outside of school, that's how I met most of my friends.

Guest Downunderannie
I live on the Central Coast as well! It's nice around here - Sydney's close enough that it's not a big deal to get the big-city stuff if you need it, but it's not too overcrowded and there's some nice rural areas around. If you want to get to know people, I'd join some of the clubs around the place; there are loads of public sport clubs, surfing schools, etc. Outside of school, that's how I met most of my friends.

Whereabouts on the Central Coast do you live? Someone suggested RSL club? What are they?

Guest Downunderannie
Hi, we have recently moved to the Central Coast (Terrigal) in October from Sydney - moved to Australia from UK 2006, my 13yr old son goes to Terrigal High school. I also have 2 other children that go to Terrigal Public.

Hi thanks for answering. Why did you move from Sydney? Where did you come from originally in UK? We came from North Yorkshire (Dales) to Terrigal in October also! Small world :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gellata

there is a site on facebook, a few central coast expats have joined, I think Grant who runs the site is trying to orgnaise a meet up..the page is called central coast expats

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Downunderannie

Thanks for that !

there is a site on facebook, a few central coast expats have joined, I think Grant who runs the site is trying to orgnaise a meet up..the page is called central coast expats

Hi there. We are heading back to Sydney in May, and have been looking at the Central Coast as one of the better places to move with our family (7 year old daughter, and 4 year old son). We've been looking at Avoca, but I would be working in Sydney 2 - 3 days a week. I know there are trains from Woy Woy and Gosford, and have looked at the timetables, but I wondered if anyone actually had the realistic time it would take from Avoca to Pymble (driving to the station, parking etc). I could drive all the way, but that seems more time consuming than the train from what I've read - any general advice appreciated. We don't want to end up in a place where the commute is so dreadful it detracts from everything else!

Guest Guest62757
Hi there. We are heading back to Sydney in May, and have been looking at the Central Coast as one of the better places to move with our family (7 year old daughter, and 4 year old son). We've been looking at Avoca, but I would be working in Sydney 2 - 3 days a week. I know there are trains from Woy Woy and Gosford, and have looked at the timetables, but I wondered if anyone actually had the realistic time it would take from Avoca to Pymble (driving to the station, parking etc). I could drive all the way, but that seems more time consuming than the train from what I've read - any general advice appreciated. We don't want to end up in a place where the commute is so dreadful it detracts from everything else!

I agree I personally wouldn't want to drive on the F3 it is a horrible freeway full of loons and so many accidents.

From Avoca to Gosford station, I say Gosford because it is the nearest. You are looking at roughly 25 mins drive. Hubby drives from Green Point which takes him 15mins and he leaves home at 6.30am to get a park at the station because it does fill up quickly.

A direct train will take 56 mins to Pymble. It may take longer on the way home if you need to change at Hornsby.

If you drove I think it would be from Avoca to the freeway roughly 30mins then 26mins to Wahroonga (

no traffic) and then a further 10 mins to Pymble.

Hope that helps.

I agree I personally wouldn't want to drive on the F3 it is a horrible freeway full of loons and so many accidents.

From Avoca to Gosford station, I say Gosford because it is the nearest. You are looking at roughly 25 mins drive. Hubby drives from Green Point which takes him 15mins and he leaves home at 6.30am to get a park at the station because it does fill up quickly.

A direct train will take 56 mins to Pymble. It may take longer on the way home if you need to change at Hornsby.

If you drove I think it would be from Avoca to the freeway roughly 30mins then 26mins to Wahroonga (

no traffic) and then a further 10 mins to Pymble.

Hope that helps.

Great - thanks for the advice. It sounds do-able a few days a week but I'm not sure I'd want to do it day in and day out. Working from home a few days a week should bea good balance. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ShazzyL

Hi there, we moved up to the Central Coast from Melbourne late November 2011 and are originally from Scotland. We are up in Hamlyn Terrace which is about 40 minutes away. I am also struggling to meet people. I have an 18 yr old and a 3 yr old. I had forgotten how hard it was to start with not knowing people. If you fancy meeting up for a coffee and a chat, I'd love to here from you. Sharon

Guest Downunderannie

Hi Sharon

It's nice to hear from someone in the same boat. I also used to live in Scotland - north of Ullapool for a while, and also in Aberdeenshire. We actually looked at Hamlyn Terrace and Woongarah when we first arrived here, but thought it was a long way up, so settled in Terrigal (for now anyway!) It would be great to meet up for a chat and a coffee. Have you joined "Central Coast Expats" on Facebook, if you have (I think someone called Sharron joined recently and I wondered if it might be you?) we could friend up on there and chat a bit more privately? Let me know your thoughts. Chat soon - Anne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thistles and gum trees
Hi Sharon

It's nice to hear from someone in the same boat. I also used to live in Scotland - north of Ullapool for a while, and also in Aberdeenshire. We actually looked at Hamlyn Terrace and Woongarah when we first arrived here, but thought it was a long way up, so settled in Terrigal (for now anyway!) It would be great to meet up for a chat and a coffee. Have you joined "Central Coast Expats" on Facebook, if you have (I think someone called Sharron joined recently and I wondered if it might be you?) we could friend up on there and chat a bit more privately? Let me know your thoughts. Chat soon - Anne

Hi Sharon and Anne

I am originally from Kincardineshire/Aberdeenshire laterly Invernessshire and have recently moved to NSW - we are living near Newcastle right now but are moving down to the peninsular at the bottom of Lake Macquarie in 6 weeks - i think about a 25 minute drive north of Wyong. Any chance of meeting up for a coffee and chat would be great. Thanks, Sarah Oh PS Have 3 children 18 - away to start uni, 17 in yr 11 and 12 just started yr 7. OH is from Nairn, Scotland :)

• 1 month later...
Hi All. I have recently moved to Avoca as well. Looking to meet up for coffee & chat with people in same situation. I have 2 kiddies in Avoca Public School.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane

We're not on the coast yet, but hoping to be there in June and would be more than happy to meet up. We're currently looking at either Avoca or Terrigal. We've got a 7 1/2 year old girl and a 5 year old boy, so both would start at the local primaries. How are your kids at Avoca Beach Primary -did it take them long to settle? My daughter is really worried about leaving her friends behind and making new ones. She will be fine, I know.

Penny

Hi Jane and all you folks that live on the Coast! We moved here from the UK last year on a 457 (me, wife and 3 kids 13,11 and 8). We love the place and have settled in very well. The pace of life is just right and the kids are able to do what we consider are natural things, playing in and around the water, beaches, fishing, boating etc. More sport than you could shake a stick at and a fanatastic time at school. Granted we decided to place them into catholic and grammer schools as we would have needed to pay more for public schools anyway. Found it easy enough to find a rental and when PR is granted will look to buy around the Wamberal/Forrestors/Bateau Bay area. Just dont rush things and explore as much as possible. We like many others have found it difficults to meet friends and would love to meet anybody in the area if there is a get together. There can be a lot of bad press from Sydneysider about the Central Coast, which is a little unfounded as I travel in around the CBD area day in day out and find much worse areas down there than up here. Just be careful where you settle and you will be fine. Avoca, North Avoca, Bateau Bay, Forrestors Beach, Tumbi Umbi, St Huberts, Bensville, Killcare, Macmasters etc are all good to rent or buy at the moment as is Terrigal but there can be a higher rental market there so you may get some summer fun in the dead of night if you know what I mean. That said Terrigal offers a great mixture of everything. Good Cafe's/Food, shops, good mix at the beach. Try the Terrigal Hotel on Tues and Thurs BOGOF steak of the grill! Great Food and good atmosphere. The Kids will learn to make friends quickly (once they get over the language barrier!) so should not worry about them. Drop us a email if any more info is required we wouldbe glad to help or meet up to discuss at anytime (when we get some free, kids activities none stop).

Hi Jane

We're not on the coast yet, but hoping to be there in June and would be more than happy to meet up. We're currently looking at either Avoca or Terrigal. We've got a 7 1/2 year old girl and a 5 year old boy, so both would start at the local primaries. How are your kids at Avoca Beach Primary -did it take them long to settle? My daughter is really worried about leaving her friends behind and making new ones. She will be fine, I know.

Penny

Hi Penny

That's great. Keep in touch and we can meet when you get here. Kids settled in really well in school. As with most of us, it was the one thing I was most worried about (especially with 9 year old girl) but her teacher assigned a couple of lovely girls to look after her and she has stayed friends with them. She fitted in so well that she even went on an overnight camping trip after only being there 2 weeks !!! It was great for her as it helped her bond with her new friends. Avoca has a lot of brits so lots of the kids have all been in same boat. She tells me that one friend was born in Scotland, one in London, another in Australia etc etfc

My 6 year old boy also settled in but he adapts well anyway and if you have a 5 year old, he will be in Kindy? so they are all new themselves. Avoca school is lovely (I didn't look at any others though as I have a friend who lives here and we decided to come here anyway). You can go into the school in the morning with them and wait until the they go in (I see a lot of the Kindy mothers doing that). I know that I was worried that they'd get in there and get lost !!

Let me know when you get here and where you decide to settle - Terrigal is not far from me (but you probably know the area anyway).

Good luck

Jane

xxx

Hi Jane and all you folks that live on the Coast! We moved here from the UK last year on a 457 (me, wife and 3 kids 13,11 and 8). We love the place and have settled in very well. The pace of life is just right and the kids are able to do what we consider are natural things, playing in and around the water, beaches, fishing, boating etc. More sport than you could shake a stick at and a fanatastic time at school. Granted we decided to place them into catholic and grammer schools as we would have needed to pay more for public schools anyway. Found it easy enough to find a rental and when PR is granted will look to buy around the Wamberal/Forrestors/Bateau Bay area. Just dont rush things and explore as much as possible. We like many others have found it difficults to meet friends and would love to meet anybody in the area if there is a get together. There can be a lot of bad press from Sydneysider about the Central Coast, which is a little unfounded as I travel in around the CBD area day in day out and find much worse areas down there than up here. Just be careful where you settle and you will be fine. Avoca, North Avoca, Bateau Bay, Forrestors Beach, Tumbi Umbi, St Huberts, Bensville, Killcare, Macmasters etc are all good to rent or buy at the moment as is Terrigal but there can be a higher rental market there so you may get some summer fun in the dead of night if you know what I mean. That said Terrigal offers a great mixture of everything. Good Cafe's/Food, shops, good mix at the beach. Try the Terrigal Hotel on Tues and Thurs BOGOF steak of the grill! Great Food and good atmosphere. The Kids will learn to make friends quickly (once they get over the language barrier!) so should not worry about them. Drop us a email if any more info is required we wouldbe glad to help or meet up to discuss at anytime (when we get some free, kids activities none stop).

Hi Goldy

Where are living?

Jane

xx

Hi Jane, we live at Kincumber at the moment in a small place called fig tree bay. Spend most of our time down at Terrigal/Wamberal areas but also enjoy Avoca area. The two youngest go to Holy Cross and the eldest is at St Edwards. Just give us a shout if there is any type of get together and we would love to come along. Stu, Deb, Sol, TJ and Yas (Team G)!!

• 3 months later...
Hi Sharon and Anne

I am originally from Kincardineshire/Aberdeenshire laterly Invernessshire and have recently moved to NSW - we are living near Newcastle right now but are moving down to the peninsular at the bottom of Lake Macquarie in 6 weeks - i think about a 25 minute drive north of Wyong. Any chance of meeting up for a coffee and chat would be great. Thanks, Sarah Oh PS Have 3 children 18 - away to start uni, 17 in yr 11 and 12 just started yr 7. OH is from Nairn, Scotland :)

Hi Thistles and gum tree, Just came across you from your post about moving to Sale, Victoria and see you have moved on now. We have just moved from Stonehaven, Kincardineshire to Sale two months ago. How did you find the town and schools?

Hi Ladies.

Jumping in on thread...... im flying out to central coast in 2 weeks..... im looking to settle anywhere around bateau bay, terrigal, avoca, the entrance etc...... i have 4 kids, 17, 15, 6, 4 and if ok, would love to keep in touch with you guys, for when we move out there. There is a group on facebook called sydney pommie princesses..... feel free to join, as it has a mixture of people already in the central coast and those about to move...... xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Downunderannie

Hi Sarah - so sorry that I haven't answered you before now, but I am rarely on here these days! I used to live in Aboyne - small world eh? Sharon and I have since met up, but she has now moved up to Nelson's Bay area, so haven't seen her for a while. Do you get down to Terrigal area much? Where did you eventually settle? My lad is almost 18 now, but is still in yr 11 due to timing when we moved out here.