Rip off real estate agents

blobby1000

Anyone else experienced this sort of rubbish?

We have just left our grotty smelly house in Greensborough which we treated with respect in spite of the fence falling down, a large collection of wood being left in the garden for a year, a leak in the hallway that was never fixed, a leak in the garage that leaked constantly and ruined all our stuff that was in there, a garage door that was falling off, ineffective heating, a urine smelling kitchen cupboard and numerous other ailments. We always paid the rent on time and never caused any issues.

On moving out the agent has decided we need to pay for a cleaner, a handyman and a gardener to get the place "up to scratch" (a bulldozer would be more appropriate). She expained we needed to do a "a bit of weeding" and pointed out there are scratches on the polished living room floor. My argument is that we have lived there for a year, a carpet would get worn and it is surely understandable that a floor will become marked, were we supposed to float around for a year? We just found out today the gardener has quoted $385! To pull some weeds out! It seems the landlord/real estate agent treat our bonds as a Christmas bonus.

On top of this, our new house (which does not smell of urine) was advertised for $440 a week and an invitation to call the agent for an appointment (ie not an "open house") I did this, arranged my appointment, and to my astonishment they then decided to advertise this time as a time for any other potential tennants to have a look. We got the house and were about to sign the contract when the agent decided they would actually charge us $450 a week!! If we refused to pay then we would lose the house!

Having moved in I put the key in the shed lock and it broke (thats my fault and I have to pay to repair it). the airconditioner does not work (we reported it and its like talking to a wall, they sort of listen, and then do nothing), the blinds dont work in any of the bedrooms, you have to physically pull at them (which breaks them which will presumably be our fault and will result in the landlord getting new blinds at our expense). They have not even bothered to replace light bulbs that have blown!

Overall renting over here is a thoroughly awful experience.