sonial

Phoning a UK mobile in Oz from the UK

Hi

After searching still can't find an answer to this, so I hope someone can help!

We leave for Oz in 10 days and I will take my UK Virgin Mobile. My mum is panicking saying she won't know how to contact me! My UK mobile phone number starts 07966 as many do, what should she call in order to contact me when I get to Oz??

Thanks

Sonia

Guest Nichola B

Just searched the internet and the Australia dialling code is 61. In the UK its 44. So if you were dialling a UK number you would dial 4479, 4475 etc. So when you mother is dialling you tell her to replace the first 0 with 61 and that should work. Although it will cost her a fortune. Hopefully someone else might be able to confirm this, I have just quickly checked google.

Guest Richie rich

If your mum is in England, she can just dial the number as normal. If she's in Oz she will have to put +44 in front and drop the zero.

When u get an Oz number that's when she will need to use the oz code.

if you keep the uk sim in your phone, your mum will pay the normal ammount she would if she phoned you and you were in the uk.

you will pay for the roaming part, even for an incoming call.

phone 789 from your mobile go through to disconnections, i think its option 3 then 0

if you go through to any other dept you have to pay 10p. disconections is free :)

tell them what is going on, they will tell you the costs etc and sort roaming out on your mobile.

be aware though its very expensive.

the best way to phone oz is on skype, or for you to get a SIP phone (aprox £50) this way you can take a local uk number all the way to oz and as long as you have a broadband connection anyone in the uk can phone you for free using their normal free mins :)

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Guest littlesarah

You could get an Australian phone card and call your mum instead. My parents seldom call me, I always phone them because I get international calls included on my mobile plan, and that way they don't have to pay anything to speak to me.

If your mum wants to text you, she should insert +61 in place of the '0' at the start of your number.

Thanks for your replies. I will initially use my UK SIM card until I get an Oz one. Skype seems a good idea, I use this on the PC at the moment but not on mobiles.

Sonia

Buy your mum an international sim card and one for yourself, if you have an old mobile that you no longer use you could use this specifically for your calls to the uk to save swapping sims all the time. The other way is to by an intrnational calling card they are really good and the calls are cheap tescos as well as many others sell them. Once your set up and settled skype is brilliant for video calls as well as that you can pay money to your skype account and call from you computer to mobiles and landlines if the reciver dosent have or want to use a computer.

If you're still using your UK sim please ignore all the instructions about +61. That will only connect your mum to an australian phone that happens to share the same number as yours (should there be one) or the call will fail. If you have a UK phone number your international code is +44. If someone in australia wants to phone your mobile (whether your phone is in the UK, australia or somewhere else) they will have to dial +44 then your number (excluding the zero). Your mum in the UK can also dial +44 (or 0044 from a landline) but it will be simpler for her just to dial the 0.

As others have said your mum will just pay the normal UK cost, you will be billed for the international call. If an australian phones you then you will both pay international charges even though you are both in australia.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

the other way is get an oz sim card and register on www.uknumber.co.uk this will give you a uk 07 number which you can give to people over here, there is a fee of approx 26p per mkinute but it saves your roaming costs, your end.

Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth:jiggy:

It'll cost you a fortune just to receive a call! That's what i found. But I was on O2 and then it changed temperarily to Telstra

Oh yes and that's definately true Ken, when Paul phoned me (he was in Aus too with an aussie sim) and i was on roaming even though we were both using Telstra it still cost me an absolute bomb just to receive a 1 min call, about 5 quid i think it was! so OP be careful :)

If you are on UK Vodafone you can sign up to Vodafone Passport. Under this scheme it costs a flat rate of 75p to receive calls (assuming the call lasts less than one hour). It would be a lot cheaper to use Skype or an Australian Sim but if you feel you absolutely have to have your UK mobile number this will still be a saving.

Outgoing calls cost 75p plus the standard cost (which might be nothing if you have inclusive minutes) but remember the standard cost for phoning australia isn't cheap and with Vodafone passport you're paying another 75p on top of that so don't phone an australian number with your UK mobile unless it's a dire emergency!

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)