Processing times for a 457 visa as a nurse

paednurse

Hi guys,

I have recently received my AHPRA reg (slow painful process!). We are hoping to be in Australia (Queensland) next April/May (ish). We are putting our house on the market immediately after xmas and hoping for a fairly quick sale!

Im currently in talks with two hospitals who seem keen to interview me during their next recruitment drive which will be Jan/ Feb I believe. Both have said they can offer sponsorship.

My question is 'has anyone recently gone through the 457 process?'

How long does it take from beginning to end?

Just wondering if we are being unrealistic in hoping that we can come out by April/May?

Also I understand that as a nurse I need to have a full medical, but as my partner and two children will be on the visa too, will they need a modified medical?

Any experience on this would be appreciated!

:biggrin:

Thanks, Emma

x

Hi, just replying to you question of the 457 visa process. I am a midwife, yes the AHPRA process is very long. My 457 visa took about 6 weeks from employer lodging the application, then two days later I lodged my application and got all relevant bits together eg: medicals,health insurance, birth certs and the like. I was the only one needing the medical, husband and 3 children exempt. Medical cost £310 with x-ray. Hope this helps, pm me if I can help you further.

That's actually pretty quick!

Did you get your medical done before the visa process started? I'm thinking of booking this up anyhow in order to speed things up once I hopefully get sponsorship but not sure if this is possible.

Also being really blonde probably but cant find the specific tests that are required to work as a nurse? I'm guessing its an x ray, bloods (although not sure which ones) and a general mot??

Thanks again guys!

Hi Paednurse,

I did get the meds done before I lodged the visa application. But I was told that "front loading" was something that diac don't want done now. There can be quite a few weeks waiting time for the meds, so this is why we did them first. Once you lodge the visa you are given a unique number, this is then used by the Drs to submit your medical records electronically to speed the process up. Because we had not lodged our visa, we didn't have the code and so the med records had to go snail mail, though this was only about 5 days max. It's worth seeing if you can do the meds up front cos it does cut down on time. As far as what you need, I think it'll be the same as me which was Chest x-ray, bloods (HIV, Hep B & C) and a full medical (including urine). Once you lodge your visa it will state what you need. Are you going for 457? If so you can start filling all the forms in online and attaching your documents before you lodge it. If you submit for your visa electronically, it does say on their website that they will give you a decision in 1 to 2 days once all the documentation is received. Just in case you didn't know, if you submit colour scans of documents in support of your visa you don't need them certifying. Also, you will see the status of your visa application change before you receive the emails - so keep a watch out there first.

Hope this helps

Sonia

Thanks Sonial, that's really helpful! I didn't know that about the coloured photocopying either that will save a few quid! lol!

I haven't actually got a job offer as such yet, just being optimistic! :biggrin:

I'm really quite impatient especially now our dreary winter has shown face I need something to focus on to get me through it! lol!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest itzmatts
Thanks Sonial, that's really helpful! I didn't know that about the coloured photocopying either that will save a few quid! lol!

I haven't actually got a job offer as such yet, just being optimistic! :biggrin:

I'm really quite impatient especially now our dreary winter has shown face I need something to focus on to get me through it! lol!

Hi Paed nurse

I lodged my e457 on 21/november, i did meds on 23/nov diac requested meds +sum extra info which i sent immediately , i haven't heard from them since then my meds were finalised on 01/12/2011....hmmmm :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Amritpal

Hi everyone

i am a registered nurse from India. And want to apply 457 but I am confused because we can't work as a nurse in Aus unless we don't get licenses from APHRA and and in order to do registration we need to do adaptation and that is only possible when we will be in Aus. Then how can we get job offer without registration. I mean how can we get 457 visa

please help me this out

thanks alot

Guest isis1mcc

Hi there Amritpal, it is very difficult for anyone to get into Australia but not sure how the system works with nurses that require conversion courses in nursing. I do know you will need to be registered with AHPRA first before even thinking of trying to find a job cause you will need your registration to practice nursing. Maybe its an idea to contact AHPRA and ask what they require from you.

I would suggest researching on this (conversion course), and maybe doing the IELTS test would also be a good start as think India is one of the countries from which they will request you have this. Good luck Isis