lauradarlin

Hi all

I'm new to PIO and looking at heading to Oz on a years working visa in July/August 2012. Can anyone offer any advice on the types of things I'll need to consider? I'm hoping to be able to spend a decent amount of time in each place I stay as I've already done some travelling around on a normal holiday visa this year.

I've come across conflicting info about how long you're allowed to work for each employer on this visa (3 or 6 mnths).

Also, I know nothing about the Australian equivalents of things such as tax, NI, NHS, driving licences, renting property, bank accounts etc so any advice on where to get started with my research would be fab!

Hi all

I'm new to PIO and looking at heading to Oz on a years working visa in July/August 2012. Can anyone offer any advice on the types of things I'll need to consider? I'm hoping to be able to spend a decent amount of time in each place I stay as I've already done some travelling around on a normal holiday visa this year.

I've come across conflicting info about how long you're allowed to work for each employer on this visa (3 or 6 mnths).

Also, I know nothing about the Australian equivalents of things such as tax, NI, NHS, driving licences, renting property, bank accounts etc so any advice on where to get started with my research would be fab!

HI there,

Its been a good few years since i was in Oz on a WHV (2003) but below is what i found in relation to your questions.

1. On a working holiday visa you don't need to convert your driving licence!

2. You will be granted a TFN (tax file number) for tax purposes. You need to apply for this when you get to Oz.

3.You will need seperate travel insurance as you are only a temporary visitor to Oz. There are loads of companies that supply this specifically for WHV 1 year policies!

4. You can open a bank account once you arrive in Oz on a WHV. Call into any of the banks and they will advise you as to what you need to set it up!

5. Renting a property is a bit more of a challenge. Most landlords dont want short term backpackers, you are better off looking on gumtree for room rentals etc! Most backpackers start in hostels (which are top notch in Oz) until they find somewhere to live in the medium term!

6. You can work for up to 6 months with each employer. All the info you need on the visa is available here

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-the-visa-works.htm

Good luck.

HI.

You best off getting your own insurance for the year, but medicare will also help, you can basically see a doctor for free, discount medicine and a free eyssight test. But a good insurance wont go a miss.

You are allowed to work for 6 months with the same employer.

Banks, TFN's Medicare etc is very easy to setup.

Bank, you walk in and they will set a basic account and debit card with no problem, passport is only required.

TFN, Can be done via the website. Medicare can be setup by walking into any Medicare office (You will need you offical visa print out with the government logo etc.)

Renting is a hit and miss, I have never had any problems renting.. Gumtree is a good place to start..

P.S Why not take a visit to gapyear.com and look on there forums, This may be best suited if you are travelling?

Take Care, Simon