Guest51810

worst admin assistant ever

Started a new job this week with the royal mail, was meant to just be mail sorting but i was asked to go into the office to work. Everybody that knows me finds it hilarious cos they all know how crap i am with computers!

It's just temp so not sure how long it's for but its good to be working again :cute:

Just don't put that title on your CV :wink:

So what if I can't spell Armagedon ? It's not the end of the world.

Congrats! I know how you feel about the job situation, I have been looking, applying, and interviewing for 10 months now!

At least it's a recent reference even if temporary, but I'm still jealous, I'd love even a temp job for a bit of cash. We're hoping to ship out in 2013, and still have to move out, and get married...sigh, silly monies.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Just don't put that title on your CV :wink:

lol i may aswell, they know it anyway! feel so sorry for them, they rang manpower for a admin assistant and they sent me! the guy rang me on friday afternoon just before they closed and said can you work a computer? i said well.. i did computing at school in 2006 and a little bit when i worked at the vets. he said aye well that'll do! didnt tell me what i would be doing, what my wage was or anything! its only 4 or 5hours a day and it ends up working out a hours travelling each way. The people in the office are amazing tho, so funny!

Just going to keep trying my best to learn their system, hopefully i'll be fine by this week!

Guest guest37336

Just remember Stacey, ALWAYS look busy.:yes:

Walk around with several files under your arm, stand by the copier and look all frustrated, get on your mobile and say, 'Yes Sir, that will be done asap'.:biglaugh:

Always worked for me.:cool:

lol they all just sit around drinking tea, gossiping and slagging each other! I like it there but i just havent picked up things very quickly, the bit i work in is doing the royal mail drivers wages and to do with their drop offs etc, i'll probably end up picking it up just before i leave!

Guest Guest31881
lol they all just sit around drinking tea, gossiping and slagging each other!

Hmmmmmm, Sounds just like PIO,

Good luck with the job.:wink:

And on the other side of the world, or should I say 'the end of the world!, I've done two shifts at Australia Post as a video coder, just training this week, getting to know the system and hopefully getting up to the right speed. I feel a bit slow at the moment though, surrounded by 'young guns' who are firing machine guns compared to my musket!

lol they all just sit around drinking tea, gossiping and slagging each other! I like it there but i just havent picked up things very quickly, the bit i work in is doing the royal mail drivers wages and to do with their drop offs etc, i'll probably end up picking it up just before i leave!

Great news! Well done :jiggy:

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

You've got your foot in the door which is the main thing. What you don't know you can always blag and learn as you go. You'll just have to turn up the charm, show enthusiasm and hopefully they'll like you enough to keep you on.

I once got offered a job for two weeks as holiday cover. I ended up there for sixteen months until the job ended. Even lasted longer than some of the management.

You're gonna need to work all the hours you can get though. It seems you've met a few friends on here who'll be disappointed if they don't see a present from you on xmas day. :laugh:

Guest guest59177
Just remember Stacey, ALWAYS look busy.:yes:

Walk around with several files under your arm, stand by the copier and look all frustrated, get on your mobile and say, 'Yes Sir, that will be done asap'.:biglaugh:

Always worked for me.:cool:

Well, it's supposed to work for the female assistants... the male ones are supposed to look at the top of their game and totally nonplussed... :tongue:

Well guys.. ive improved sooo much today! the lady who i help was off today and shes not back till friday so i was left with everything and just had to get on with it. It definitely helped me.

the travels a bit of a pain but theres not much chance of me getting a job where i live and the people there are really nice. Would quite like to get a permanent job there but not sure if that'll happen. Least its another thing to put on my CV, just need bar work now and then it'll be a good allrounder!

Guest guest59177
Well guys.. ive improved sooo much today! the lady who i help was off today and shes not back till friday so i was left with everything and just had to get on with it. It definitely helped me.

the travels a bit of a pain but theres not much chance of me getting a job where i live and the people there are really nice. Would quite like to get a permanent job there but not sure if that'll happen. Least its another thing to put on my CV, just need bar work now and then it'll be a good allrounder!

WAY to go Stacey!!!!!!!!!! REMEMBER, hard word/good work is a very small percentage (though a crucial percentage) in acheiving permanence. The KEY thing is to get chummy with whoever is in charge of recruting....

I actually dont have a clue whos my boss. I work for a agency called manpower and they've sort of hired me out to royal mail. Thats why i felt so sorry for them, paying for a really crap assistant lol. but ive improved a lot today so hopefully by friday i'll be fine! I think the men are a bit nervous around me because they're used to swearing a lot and slagging each other and they seem to think they have to behave themselfs infront of me lol :laugh:

Guest guest59177
I actually dont have a clue whos my boss. I work for a agency called manpower and they've sort of hired me out to royal mail. Thats why i felt so sorry for them, paying for a really crap assistant lol. but ive improved a lot today so hopefully by friday i'll be fine! I think the men are a bit nervous around me because they're used to swearing a lot and slagging each other and they seem to think they have to behave themselfs infront of me lol :laugh:

Well, they SHOULD in front of a lady :policeman:

one day they'll hear me swearing when i break my computer!! im sure it'll wear off in a few days and they'll start swearing and calling me names lol

Guest Gothic Rose

Stacey Stacey, do stop putting yourself down, you're not " really cr8p" you're just inexperienced look how well you've done second day & improving already. That's really good be pleased with yourself. Learn to sell yourself better girl be proud.

& if people behave themselves in front of you take it as a mark of respect & enjoy it while it lasts, people soon forget courtesy & manners in an effort to "include" someone

Glad you had a good day :hug:

Definately agree with GR! You're doing good! I signed up with Manpower once, never got a job through them though lol

manpower as a company seem to be crap, i was meant to get a ID and my wages sorted out but nothings happened, have to phone them up later or tomorrow.

but the royal mail seem a good bunch, well my office anyway! I think ive been accepted as one of the guys lol, i was the only girl in the office and i heard a million swear words and one or two stories about their sex life. Lucky me! :confused:

Cant believe that'll be my first week over tomorrow already. Been told to see if i can get a few hours a day doing the mail sorting so at least it'll work out like a full time wage, need the money!

manpower as a company seem to be crap, i was meant to get a ID and my wages sorted out but nothings happened, have to phone them up later or tomorrow.

but the royal mail seem a good bunch, well my office anyway! I think ive been accepted as one of the guys lol, i was the only girl in the office and i heard a million swear words and one or two stories about their sex life. Lucky me! :confused:

Cant believe that'll be my first week over tomorrow already. Been told to see if i can get a few hours a day doing the mail sorting so at least it'll work out like a full time wage, need the money!

I've almost managed a week with Australia Post too - they said 'see you tomorrow' anyway! At some point I have to pass a coding test though.

your job sounds more complicated than mine, mine is just doing the guys wages on the spreadsheets, not been told to do anything else so far