Unpaid Speeding Fine Question?

Guest JohnnyColdOnes

Guest JohnnyColdOnes

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has advice or maybe experience of this before..

I was in Australia in 2005/06 on a working holiday visa, seeing as I was driving under a provisional license at the time i decided to sit my driving test while in Australia, which I subsequently passed!

Everything was good until the end of my trip, while on a road trip around Australia before I headed home I managed to pick up 2 speeding fines and some toll charges! (which I didn't know about these until the end of my trip when I got a call from the house where I used to live).

Seeing as I was heading home in a couple of weeks anyway I decided to take my chances and not pay the fines.

The problem is that now I'm looking to go back to Australia under a 176 visa and I'm worried that these unpaid fines/charges could come back to bite me when I get to Australia or worse still prevent me from being granted a visa.

Does anyone know if this is a possibility or have experience of anything similar?

Thanks in advance,

Johnny.

Guest JohnnyColdOnes
Your Oz license will now be suspended due to unpaid fines. When or if you do renew your license you will have to pay the unpaid fines before they will allow you your license. I can't see it affecting your visa application.

That's great guy's, thanks for the replies!

Did a bit of research on older posts as suggested and on a couple of other sites and came to same conclusion! Shouldn't affect my application but looks like I'll have to pay up when/if I get over...

I've since converted my Aussie license put I think when I go to convert back to an Aussie license the fines/charges will show up on their system, hopefully it will be just a case of explaining what happened and paying the outstanding fines/charges!

Cheers,

Johnny.

• 2 months later...

Hey :) so what was the conclusion to this, did you get your visa ok? Im in the same boat I had a small fine in 2002 for $70 but the guys i was travelling with at the time said dont pay they never chase up and i just forgot about it.... im now in the process of getting a 457 visa and terrified there is a warrent out for my arrest and Ill get refused it!! lets hope im worrying ver nothing!

Becca

Cheers :) Hopefully it will be fine, you see I got pulled over by the police and given it, but i never heard anything else again (Id given them my UK address) and they never chased me up. I dont mind paying it at all how ever much it may be now! I just dont want refused entry :( so as long as it doesnt affect my visa.

Becca

• 6 months later...
Guest JohnnyColdOnes

Still waiting on a case officer to be assigned so havent got that far yet, but not being resident in Oz at the moment I dont think I will need AFP check, best of luck with it anyway!