hrussell734

Australian citizen no passport

Hi all,

New here and searching madly for some advice!

I am Australian, my partner is British and we are leaving to emigrate to Australia on thursday! We have a 2 year old son who is british although has a certificate of Australian citizenship by descent. Was planning to get him an Australian passport when we got to Oz as we live a long way from London so was trying to avoid the trip up there!

I rang the embassy today to sort out his visa and was told that he couldn't enter on his british passport and they wouldn't issue him a visa as he is an Australian citizen. He needs to get an Australian passport before thursday! Passport office was closed at this point and she advised phoning at 9am tomorrow. I am a good 5 hours away, so wouldn't get there until Wednesday - the day before we fly!!!! (its only open 9-12).

Does anyone know if we can sort this out at all? Is it worth risking trying to get him there with his UK passport and Australian certificate of citizenship? I read online that it causes long delays and the airline may refuse to carry him. To make things harder, I am flying to Sydney and he is travelling with my partner to Perth so I won't be there when they land to help sort it out and prove his rights to citizenship.

Or do I just turn up at the passport office at 9am tomorrow and beg?!

Any suggestions,

Thanks!

Guest jtrd

I would absolutely go with the turn up and beg - have you got everything you need for your sons passport? For kids passports you can fill in the form online and print it off, you need photos signed (I used a friend who is a nurse to do my children, the signatory needs to have met your son, but know you) and don't forget the photos need to be closer than the UK passport ones (they're ever so picky at Aust House).

Best of luck!

Guest lkquick

ouch difficult... I don't know if applies but I got my australian citizenship by descent certificate and was told that I didn't need an aussie passport but it make travellling easier as the passports got the photo on and the citizenship document could be anybodys so you'd have to prove it was yours. have to say I think I'd go to the passport office.. its a long flight to risk being told they won't let you in

Hi all,

New here and searching madly for some advice!

I am Australian, my partner is British and we are leaving to emigrate to Australia on thursday! We have a 2 year old son who is british although has a certificate of Australian citizenship by descent. Was planning to get him an Australian passport when we got to Oz as we live a long way from London so was trying to avoid the trip up there!

I rang the embassy today to sort out his visa and was told that he couldn't enter on his british passport and they wouldn't issue him a visa as he is an Australian citizen. He needs to get an Australian passport before thursday! Passport office was closed at this point and she advised phoning at 9am tomorrow. I am a good 5 hours away, so wouldn't get there until Wednesday - the day before we fly!!!! (its only open 9-12).

Does anyone know if we can sort this out at all? Is it worth risking trying to get him there with his UK passport and Australian certificate of citizenship? I read online that it causes long delays and the airline may refuse to carry him. To make things harder, I am flying to Sydney and he is travelling with my partner to Perth so I won't be there when they land to help sort it out and prove his rights to citizenship.

Or do I just turn up at the passport office at 9am tomorrow and beg?!

Any suggestions,

Thanks!

citizens dont need a visa to enter their own country but do need a passport and u r right airline does't carry passengers who r travelling only on certificate of citizenship...