Where to live in Perth???

PityTheFool

Were are currently investigating places to live in Perth and we are hoping the Perth experts out there may be able to help with our rather optimistic wish list!

We would be looking for;

A family friendly area (I will be 32, my partner is 29 and our boys will be 8 and 6)

As close to the beach as possible (making morning / evening visits possible)

Close to good schools

I will be working in the city and would like the commute to be under an hour (ideally 30/45mins).

We like the feel of being out of the city but would like our local facilities to be the city as opposed to a small local town, suburb, etc.

We would be looking to rent initially but when we do buy we would hope to have a budget of around $450k.

I understand this will be a tall order and that something will have to give but if you could start us off that would be great!

Also are the any main differences between the north and south of the river???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is impossible for people to tell you where you live, we're all going to like so many different things, depends on your budget too. Have you looked on realestate.com.? No difference really between north and south, both corridors are exanding further north/south.

We dont know !?!?!

Are you going to Perth?

We had everything ready for Vic sponsorship but changed to WA due to work opportunities. We have 176ss and going to validate in February and have a good look around. We have spent months researching online and are still not sure if we go NOR or SOR.

I think with a budget of $450k you will struggle to find all of your requirements. Close to beach-walking distance NOR you are looking at alot $600k++++

I think SOR houses towards secret harbor/mandurah way cost less but unsure about commute time to city.

We live NOR in hocking. It takes us 10-15 minutes depending on the lights to get to mullaloo.

Look at the city of joondalup website. The city of joondalup has just come high up in the rankings(may of won?!) for one of the most livable city's in a poll.

Sorry I'm a little vague ,too early in the am to think! Lol

Driving around 45 minutes peak time. Off peak 30 minutes. Nearest train station is either whitfords or edgewater(both not walking distance!)

Everything is so spread out here.

Rentals I heard are going up in price and quality is going down. We think we have a stunning house for $480pw. A newish house no more than 5 yrs old.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

My family and I are moving to perth next year. Does anybody know which are the best suburbs?

Close to the city,

Close to good schools

A family friendly area

How we could rent a place for the first 2 months?

Thank you!

_________________-

WA Application Submitted: March 2011 / WA Application Approval: May 9 2011 / GSM 176 Application Submitted: 03-June-2011 / Case Officer Assigned: 12-July-2011 / Medicals and PCC Requested by DIAC: 19 Sept 2011 / Medicals Referred: 04 Oct 2011 / Medicals Finalised: 07 Oct 2011 / Australia PCC Sent: 07 Dec 2011 / Visa granted: 08 Dec 2011

we now live in kingsley nor, 10 mins to hillarys and beach etc, joondalup shopping centre, son goes to woodvale rated a very good school and son doing very well. seems to be more suited to myself, train station 5 mins with services to city regular, i think you will find heading to the city if you work there very much like the M25 at commute times, i had to travel from kingsley to freo for a 7.30 appt for 3 weeks, had to leave at 6am due to very heavy freeway traffic. used to live sor , but prefer where we are now. obviously just my opinion on what i have found

Guest guest17301
Legoman & fiona1975

Are your children happy at Woodvale? We tried to arrange a visit for February but there are no open days when we are there. Is it really difficult getting a rental in the catchment? Some of them look awful online.

My daughter isn't particularly enjoying it currently but I dont think that has much to do with the school. Overall I think the school is good, bear in mind have no other Australian schools to compare it to. I've found that the teaching staff are a bit hit and miss and not that good at communications......again that could be an individual teacher thing as Ive nothing but praise for several of them.

The rentals can be a bit hit and miss again, expect to pay upwards of $500 a week for something decent. Generally only 5 or 6 going at any one time...There will be one coming up in Fern Place soon...all I will say is DONT.

We have been here in WA for just on 3 months now, and we are NOR, in Merriwa. (Merriwa/Butler/Quinns Rocks area) My daughter (6yrs) is currently at Quinns Beach Primary School, and loves it. I had a look around Merriwa Primary, and to be honest, it wasn't that marvellous, then had a look around Quinns Beach, and was over the moon when the headmistress said she had space for my older one, and our 3yr old who will start Kindy next year!! They are quite strict with catchement areas over here, so be sure that you have the right address for the school you want! We were just lucky that there was space for our 2 little monkeys, otherwise I would've been a bit disappointed, having to send them to Merriwa. (in saying that, I don't know anyone who HAS kids at Merriwa, so perhaps I got the total wrong impression - don't want to offend anyone!!)

As to WHERE TO LIVE: I would definitely urge anyone not to rush into buying a place. There are so many neighbourhoods and all have different things to offer. In our area, Butler, Jindalee, Quinns Rocks, Ridgewood are all lovely and only 5 min drive to the beach. We are about 15-20 mins from Joondalup, but less than 10 mins from Ocean Keys shopping centre in Clarkson, which has pretty much everying (Coles, Woolworths, K-Mart, pharmacy, post office, Crazy Clarks etc) I would suggest renting a place for a few months to get a real feel for the area and see if it's for you, before diving head first into buying a place.

Regarding RENTALS: Sorry to sound snooty, but I just don't know what some people expect? They are rentals after all. Landlords are not likely to furnish the property in 5* luxury, knowing that there's going to be a family with young kids in it! I know there ARE some super-fantastic rental properties out there that ARE furnished top notch, but then you have to pay for it. All the fellow immigrants that I have met in the Quinns/Jindalee/Ridgewood area, pay in the region of $400-$450 a week for a 4x2 house with a garden (no pool) And all the properties are lovely. They may not be to all our tastes and some might need a bit of TLC (gardens weeded/mowed etc) but it's not going to be your "forever house". I'm sure 99% of immigrants have the hope of eventually purchasing a property here in Australia, so who cares if you have to have a smaller bathroom, or a green bedroom for a few months? :biggrin:

Anyway, I think I'm starting to ramble on a bit here......but what I'm trying to say is, don't expect too much, else you'll be disapointed. Australia is not England, and I personally think the houses here are far BETTER than the UK, as they are far newer, in most cases. And there is more time for family here too.

Best of luck to all of you with your moves, but NOR is a really good place to be, if you ask me. It's family orientated, the areas that I've mentioned above are all close to the beach, and my OH works south of Perth and it takes him 45 mins each way to and from work (driving). He leaves at 5:15am to start work at 6am, and leaves work at 3pm to be home at 3:45. Heavenly :wub:

Our nearest train station would be Clarkson, but in the 3 months we've been here, we've not needed to use it as yet...

Cx