3 months in Melbourne, couldnt be happier!

young2682

Thanks Geoff.

That is very reassuring. From your other post, am I right in thinking we should be happy with the choice and standard of public schools and colleges around the Berwick area?

My son DOB: 25 Sept 1999 is currently in Year 7 in the UK. Am I right in thinking we should really get him settled prior to the Oz Year 11 and 12?

Again, any guidance would be most welcome. Regards, John and Tracy

Thanks Geoff.

That is very reassuring. From your other post, am I right in thinking we should be happy with the choice and standard of public schools and colleges around the Berwick area?

There's certainly plenty of choice (although to be fair I don't know anything about place availability). And I've not heard a bad word said about any of the schools. it might be worth looking at http://www.myschool.com.au for some guidance.

My son DOB: 25 Sept 1999 is currently in Year 7 in the UK. Am I right in thinking we should really get him settled prior to the Oz Year 11 and 12?

Your son was born 4 days before my youngest! She has just start Year 7 this week. I think Australian schools are used to accepting migrants all year round and so you boys should cope quite easily.

Good luck,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Is it possible you could let us know what a family of four (2 teenagers incl) would pay each for groceries and utilities in the Berwick area? I realise that this is quite subjective but any help would be appreciated.

We don't live or eat in an extravagant manner but generally healthily and balanced.

Hi Geoff,

Is it possible you could let us know what a family of four (2 teenagers incl) would pay each for groceries and utilities in the Berwick area? I realise that this is quite subjective but any help would be appreciated.

We don't live or eat in an extravagant manner but generally healthily and balanced.

Well I've just had a flick through the bills and I would *guess* VERY ROUGHLY the utilities cost $500 per month but this varies greatly depending on the seasons and how cold it is! As for groceries I'll have to ask Mrs X about that, it's not my field of expertise :biggrin:!

Geoff

Alex,

Would it be possible to ask your Nursing friends if their employee benefits include Health Insurance, rather than us having to source and fund this ourselves please ?

Any other tips from them would be useful such as are they likely to know if a RSMS 119 Visa would be available in Melbourne rather than a 457 Visa???

Any guidance is appreciated. Many thanks. John and Tracy

Alex, Thanks for your wonderful sunny post and positive outlook.

It has got a to be a bit of a downer, for those of us planning to make the move later this year, to read some of the threads by the whingers who have given their 'emigration experience' all of about, erm, 3 minutes, to settle down.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I am glad it shows the positive side of this move - I cannot understand the negativity at all, sure there are some downsides but there is no such place as paradise, this place is as close as it gets for us :-) there is another update 6 months in on my profile, its not a big update but i will update again in sept when we would have been here for a year!

:-)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. So glad to see it has all worked out for you. I am looking to move to Brisbane in a few years time. OH is from there and we have two boys who will be around 4 and 7 when we come over there. So the outdoors aspect is nice to hear with regards to getting out and about and doing things with the kids. We are in West Yorkshire and have about 7 days of sun a year at the moment lol so the outdoors lifestyle will definitely benefit us. Thanks again :-)

• 1 month later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What a wonderful, uplifting and positive post!, I'm like you I think, try to see the positive in everything and make every experience count!! I can't wait to move to Melbourne with my little family next week - I am just looking forward to a change, trying something new and broadening my life experiences!, your post is truly wonderful and I fully intend on making every second count when i get out there!, can we start a little positive pomsinoz group do you think???!!! Xxxxx

• 9 months later...

Hi there. Sounds like you have really settled in Berwick.

We land in Auz early September and need to find a place to live and good schools. We really like the look of Berwick but are finding the properties within the berwick secondry college zone a liitle expensive. The proeprties in narre warren and O'shea road area of Berwick are much cheaper. Does anyone know what the schools are like in the Narre Warren/O'shea Road area? My daughter is 7 yrs old, we have a tour booked in atBerwick Primary and we are totally confused where or not to go for a house closer to Berwick High Street or further south near O'shea road.