register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Perthbum

Beer Thread BIAB... You want a pint like back in the UK them buddy

BIAB known as Brew In a Bag, is a new method of full grain brewing without tons of equipment and just as good.

It will save you loads of money and produce beers far far better than a kit homebrew.

Minimal equipment is needed and it really is easy.

ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Hi PB - did you post the correct Youtube link - it looks like some one doing an All Grain full mash without a sparge?

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Hi PB - did you post the correct Youtube link - it looks like some one doing an All Grain full mash without a sparge?

Yes, it cuts out the sparge and produces beer just as good, it is called BIAB BREW IN A BAG, and was invented about 5 years ago by an aussie, it is a full grain mash that is so simple.:cute:

Yes, it cuts out the sparge and produces beer just as good, it is called BIAB BREW IN A BAG, and was invented about 5 years ago by an aussie, it is a full grain mash that is so simple.:cute:

Have you used it? I am interested to know if you need to use more grain than usual given that there is no sparge?

There are also full-wort kits available here e.g.

http://www.ndbrewing.com.au/index.php?page=brewers-selection-kits

which are a bit more expensive. No boiliing required - just 5L of water and yeast in a fermenter. I have not used one myself, but a couple of brewing mates have reported good things about them. In fact, one of them no longer bothers full mashing now.

Cheers.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Have you used it? I am interested to know if you need to use more grain than usual given that there is no sparge?

There are also full-wort kits available here e.g.

http://www.ndbrewing.com.au/index.php?page=brewers-selection-kits

which are a bit more expensive. No boiliing required - just 5L of water and yeast in a fermenter. I have not used one myself, but a couple of brewing mates have reported good things about them. In fact, one of them no longer bothers full mashing now.

Cheers.

You use the same malt and grains as you do what is called a "mash out! which is just raising the temperature after mash while stirring, good link you have posted but it is very expensive and you cannot adjust the brew to suit your tastes.

A good kit costs £22 for 23 litres, I can make a far superior ale for about £5 for 23 litrws, as 25kg bag of crushed malt costs me £18 from my local brewery :jiggy:

I do a "no chill" which just means I let it cool till the following morning and then put it into my fermenter and pitch the yeast.

here is a good video.

Yes it is expensive at $45 for a brew even if you choose a cheap yeast. The advantage is you only need a fermenting bin so real easy for a beginner to produce something better than a 1.5kg kit. Not being able to tune the brew is a downside and I suspect most of us that do brew enjoy the opportunities to explore and modify recipes.

Happy mashing!

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Yes it is expensive at $45 for a brew even if you choose a cheap yeast. The advantage is you only need a fermenting bin so real easy for a beginner to produce something better than a 1.5kg kit. Not being able to tune the brew is a downside and I suspect most of us that do brew enjoy the opportunities to explore and modify recipes.

Happy mashing!

The yeast is the most important additive and really does affect the taste of a beer, I buy a liquid yeast that costs £6 but i split it into 6 starters and put them in the fridge which stores them for up tp 12 months.:jiggy: