Australian PR Vs Citizenship visa?

Guest Jennifer85

Guest Jennifer85

Hello All,

I am Indian migrant currently holding Australian PR and working in Sydney.

Basically, in Jan-2012 I'll be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship visa.

However, I am bit confused in making the decision....b'coz i'll be moving back to India probably after 3-4 years ( and India does not allow dual citizenship). So I'm thinking whether I should stay on PR or go for citizenship.

So I need your inputs on what things I'll loose / gain if I go for Citizenship?

Note :

1. In 2012-13 we will be having a baby as well. So I have to think of the benifits which my baby can get if I go for Citizenship visa.

2. My husband wont be able to apply for Citizenship till 2014 as he migrated into Australia in Nov-2010 ( on s457) and now holding dependent PR.

Thanks

Jenny

You can re-apply to become a citizen if you rescind it to retain citizenship of another country, it's just a case of applying and having to go through a load of paperwork.

But I don't know what real advantages you have being a citizen rather than a PR, other than being forced to vote in every form of election (and I think, work in certain government agencies). Is it really worth the bother if you have to get rid of it in 3 years anyway?

Guest Jennifer85

@ Azim : we have some extended elder family members who are dependant on us. So we have to move back to live with them and take care of them in old age ( as they are not willing to move in here)

"..And India does not allow dual citizenship"...

In order to get around this constitutional limit,the govt came up with the OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India)...you have all the rights of an Indian citizenship except you cannot contest elections for the Loksabha or any other public office and acquire any new agricultural land.However,you can inherit any agricultural land.There is no restriction on acquiring Non-agri.land/plot.Starting from the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas,(Jan 9) you can even vote for a LS election process!..so you are not missing out on anything in India,by acquiring citizenship of any other country by naturalization.

Hello All,

I am Indian migrant currently holding Australian PR and working in Sydney.

Basically, in Jan-2012 I'll be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship visa.

However, I am bit confused in making the decision....b'coz i'll be moving back to India probably after 3-4 years ( and India does not allow dual citizenship). So I'm thinking whether I should stay on PR or go for citizenship.

So I need your inputs on what things I'll loose / gain if I go for Citizenship?

Note :

1. In 2012-13 we will be having a baby as well. So I have to think of the benifits which my baby can get if I go for Citizenship visa.

2. My husband wont be able to apply for Citizenship till 2014 as he migrated into Australia in Nov-2010 ( on s457) and now holding dependent PR.

Thanks

Jenny

Also,if you travel regularly out of India,the Indian passport makes you apply for a visa to majority of the countries,where as with an Australian passport that is not the case.

Frankly,do not see ANY advantage in retaining the Indian passport.If you have the OCI,you can visit and leave India as many times,or stay indefinitely!

Also,if you travel regularly out of India,the Indian passport makes you apply for a visa to majority of the countries,where as with an Australian passport that is not the case.

Frankly,do not see ANY advantage in retaining the Indian passport.If you have the OCI,you can visit and leave India as many times,or stay indefinitely!

avail Australian one and keep ur husband on Indian citizenship..in this case u both can keep dual citizenship..

If you become a Australian citizen you become a Indian PR if you obtain a OCI visa and after obtaining the OCI Visa you can become a Indian citizen after 5 years and if you want to return to Aus for your retirement or studies for your children you can become an Aus citizen again.