457 to 856 medicare question

Guest peachtint

Guest peachtint

Hello there I'm wondering if someone can help me out here. I am currently on a 457 visa and have just made an application for the 856 (hooray!) after two years. My 457 visa is still valid for at least another year. One of the conditions of this visa is having medical cover(reciprocal medicare or private insurance). I am covered by private insurance; However I have heard that Bridging Visas to Permanent Visas would entitle the holder to Medicare here. It says on the Confirmation to my PR application that I "may" be eligible to medicare. Anyone been in a similar spot?

Guest norry&leigh

When I got my permanent residency I just popped up to the Medicare office and swapped over my reciprocal card to a proper Medicare card, I took a copy of my confirmation email (when I was granted permanent residency) and my passport.

Guest lilimary

You get medicare from the day you lodge an application for PR. Check the medicare website, there is a enrolment form and you need to bring the acknowledgement letter from DIAC.

Cheers

Lili

• 7 months later...

Guys.....

Am currently on 457, applied for ENS 856 PR in June 2012 while wife pregnant (due on Dec 2012) and most probably PR grant after baby born.

I plan to use the current private insurance as they cover 100% pregnancy cost in private hospital. I heard.... upon grant of PR, the insurance company will cancel the cover from the date I applied for PR. If that happen, I think I may need to pay additional cost apart frm medicare cover as the PR applied before the baby born. Please advise how can I utilize the private insurance. Thanks.

Guys.....

Am currently on 457, applied for ENS 856 PR in June 2012 while wife pregnant (due on Dec 2012) and most probably PR grant after baby born.

I plan to use the current private insurance as they cover 100% pregnancy cost in private hospital. I heard.... upon grant of PR, the insurance company will cancel the cover from the date I applied for PR. If that happen, I think I may need to pay additional cost apart frm medicare cover as the PR applied before the baby born. Please advise how can I utilize the private insurance. Thanks.

You will need to contact your health insurance provider and change from an overseas scheme to a normal one. They should hopefully transfer over any waiting times etc rather than reset them. Or you could just go through the public system using medicare.

Edited by RockDr