Beer

BritChickx

I've never been a fan of beer until I came to Oz, but I started having mouthfuls of Paul's beer now and then and eventually it grew on me. Now I like Cascade and James Boag's beer...MMMMM :laugh: what did you drink in the UK and what do you now drink in Aus? Or do you drink the same? In the UK I was a vodka girl!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like wine mostly, but occasionally I like a nice cold beer. At the moment I am only drinking low carb/low cal/low alcohol wine and beer because I am on a carb free diet and don't want to stuff it up with the alcohol. I quite like it, it tasted weak to start with (not surprisingly) but now it is good. Got a bottle of fizzy wine chilling in the fridge for later on :)

Hurry up wine o'clock!

Guest guest59177

NOTE: The following is purely a joke

PommyPaul is rubbing off [<-- PERVERT WARNING: This is idiomatic usage please] in all the wrong ways on BritChickx. I mean, there is a case to be made for preserving the feminine qualities in a girl (and from my readings the choice of alcohol plays a role in defining it too). At this rate BritChickx will first become BritTV and then BritMan....

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

For some completely bizarre reason I craved a bottle of Newkie Brown a while ago. I think I had only every drunk two bottles of the stuff in my life before then.....

Wandered down to Dan Murphy's and there it was on the shelf!!!! In fact a took a picture of all the beers on put it on facebook just to show the folks at home it wasn't all that bad here! (Yeah, I know, don't say it).

Otherwise we used to drink a lot of French wine but are now enjoying finding the joy of Aussie whites at the moment.

Cheers *hic*

Geoff

p.s. Anytime after midday is wine o'clock time in my book.

So long as the sun is over the yard-arm :)

If I'm drinking a beer then it'll be a Cascade light (although boags is good too).

But there are some brilliants ones out of the smaller breweries - and not to mention the fantabulous ciders I've been introduced to!!!

Yay for Coldstream!!

Struggling with the beer tbh - most of it is really insipid. Carlton, Toohey's, VB etc need shooting for getting away with selling such rubbish. A few mates have given me some pointers so will be trying those :)

Found some really nice white wines, though, so that's OK. Most red here gets too much of the oak treatment for my liking, I don't really drink enough to get through enough bottles to work out which ones aren't overoaked

I can no longer drink cider or red wine, having over done it ever so slightly on my 30th birthday. That was almost seven years ago, and I still haven't forgotten the pain!

Have worked really hard today cleaning the house, we have mum and dad in law arriving on Wednesday for five weeks, so I think that it is now time to crack open a bottle as a reward!

Cheers!

Beer: Stella, heineken, crown mostly. Usually buy a slab on a wednesday, when coupons are published in herald sun from getwinesdirect.com. Excellent selection there, usually foreign beers. Take voucher to dans and they beat the price, eg $29.95 for a slab. Have just tried smith and Clyde (nz lager) from aldi, not bad..and being aldi nice and cheap too.

Wine: nz Sauvignon blanc, usually from graysonline. Aldi doing sancerre for $15 a bottle ATM, and it is pure class

Guest guest17301

The OH is constantly searching for a decent beer here in Perth. The boutique/brewery beers are great but too pricey for 'everyday' so to speak drinking.....the best we've found seems to be the Coopers range, OH likes the mild ale but will have the sparkling for a 'special occasion' lol. The English imports are the biggest treat though, will get a few in for his birthday next month.

I prefer white wine myself, oaked chardonnay is my tipple and a nice bottle of something sparkly for special occasions. A nice bottle of beer is good on occasion thoug, usually a sunny afternoon bbq drink for me before I move onto the main event...the wine!

Guest Checcles

I have never drunk beers, just never liked them and wine has always just seamed way too dry... on special occassions I would have a Tia-Maria and lemonade :yes:

But I have recently really taken to Magners and Bulmers Ciders on a hot sunny day :jiggy:

are these available in Australia or is there something similar ?

Guest Guest31881
For some completely bizarre reason I craved a bottle of Newkie Brown a while ago. I think I had only every drunk two bottles of the stuff in my life before then.....

Wandered down to Dan Murphy's and there it was on the shelf!!!! In fact a took a picture of all the beers on put it on facebook just to show the folks at home it wasn't all that bad here! (Yeah, I know, don't say it).

Otherwise we used to drink a lot of French wine but are now enjoying finding the joy of Aussie whites at the moment.

Cheers *hic*

Geoff

p.s. Anytime after midday is wine o'clock time in my book.

Tomorrow I am going the Hervey bay shopping, so it looks like a visit to Dan Murphy's and searching the shelves :wink:

Whisky in uk,will be the same in oz,love it too much tbh,on its own btw,dont like coke etc in it,normally drink guinness or 6X or old peculiar type ales in uk,drank tooheys old in oz,but started drinking becks and stella in summer here and its kinda stuck,im thinking lager type ales will be nicer in hotter weather of oz.

Tried different things to keep me away from the whisky,red wine....ok but it bores me after a while,white wine....like drinking lemo,i'd end up drinking about 3 bottles just to feel a bit merry,only thing which has kept me away from whisky for a while was port,but nah,i dont try and stay away from whisky anymore,pointless,like it too much,its my mistress:notworthy:,it owns me:wubclub:

Guest Guest31881
Whisky in uk,will be the same in oz,love it too much tbh,on its own btw,dont like coke etc in it,normally drink guinness or 6X or old peculiar type ales in uk,drank tooheys old in oz,but started drinking becks and stella in summer here and its kinda stuck,im thinking lager type ales will be nicer in hotter weather of oz.

Tried different things to keep me away from the whisky,red wine....ok but it bores me after a while,white wine....like drinking lemo,i'd end up drinking about 3 bottles just to feel a bit merry,only thing which has kept me away from whisky for a while was port,but nah,i dont try and stay away from whisky anymore,pointless,like it too much,its my mistress:notworthy:,it owns me:wubclub:

I am drinking "Black Douglas" at the moment Scotch Whisky not bad, but slowly working my way through them all. ( Not in one night though:biggrin:)

I am drinking "Black Douglas" at the moment Scotch Whisky not bad, but slowly working my way through them all. ( Not in one night though:biggrin:)

Havnt had that i dont think colin,expensive hobby in oz tho from what i remember of the prices,would like to drink single malt islay all the time tbh,but bit expensive,sainsbos doing 1 litre of famous grouse for £13 atm,so stocked up on that:goofy:

I was at the Talisker distillery at the start of the year. Don't really like whisky, but after doing the tour and seeing what went little ingredients go in, and the science behind it all made me think maybe I'll start to enjoy it more. Anyway, the tasting part of the tour came, but sadly the science and the glamour of it all was let down. Can't get over that pungent taste that all whiskies seem to have. Though I have to admit, once you got over the initial yuck factor, the smokey aftertaste was immense.

Guest Guest31881
Havnt had that i dont think colin,expensive hobby in oz tho from what i remember of the prices,would like to drink single malt islay all the time tbh,but bit expensive,sainsbos doing 1 litre of famous grouse for £13 atm,so stocked up on that:goofy:

I just ask what is on "Special" when i go to the bottle shop. I paid $ 50 for 2 bottles. so next time I could be drinking what ever is on offer.

I was at the Talisker distillery at the start of the year. Don't really like whisky, but after doing the tour and seeing what went little ingredients go in, and the science behind it all made me think maybe I'll start to enjoy it more. Anyway, the tasting part of the tour came, but sadly the science and the glamour of it all was let down. Can't get over that pungent taste that all whiskies seem to have. Though I have to admit, once you got over the initial yuck factor, the smokey aftertaste was immense.

I think most people are like that on initial tasting tbh mate,first sip puts them off,me bro cant stand the smell of it,i allways tell people to take a sip,and sort of run it around your mouth,let it get into the taste buds etc rather than just swallow,the peaty taste is wonderfull,love it me:notworthy:

I've still never tasted whiskey. is it about time I tried?

Deffo,staff of life:notworthy:,thins the blood out so good for yer as well:wideeyed::laugh:

IF you try it do like i said,take a sip but run it around your teeth,tongue etc,than your taste buds adjust to it,then its :jiggy:time!