Dangers for dogs?

Tulip

Hello lovelies.

We're looking at trying to move over at some point in 2013. However, one thing that worries me a little is whether my dog will be safe. I can only bring one of them over, so will bring the clingy one as my boy will be content without me and staying with my mum, but I know she would pine horribly and I can't put her through that. Basically I'm a bit worried about things like snakes and cane toads; how do others cope with this?

I mean, if I let her out in the garden and she does her Schnauzer thing and is typically nosy, what if she disturbs something and gets hurt? Should I just let her out on lead at night when I can't supervise fully?

Would love your input, the one thing worrying me most is this! I want my girlie to be safe.

I think at first you need to supervise her as its very different environment to the UK but once she settles and you find a property that suits everyone including your pal she will be fine. Australians love dogs and there are not a lot of stories about dogs getting hurt by snakes or cane toads, same as the human population, if there was it would not be a story worthy of the newspaper.

You will need to keep an eye out for ticks though as they are dangerous to us and animals. Also heart worm tablets, regular flea treatments.

Have a look at some of the vet sites in Aus they have a wealth of information to help you.

Good luck

Thanks Petals, I'll be sure to do that! That's put my mind at ease a bit; I didn't see a single snake in Aus but you know what we Poms are like, LOL!

I have only come across 3 snakes .

One was in our garden

One was in the bush and I jumped so high I did my achilles:laugh:

One was in UK, Adder on the Moors.

They are around though and are shy so if grass is kept short and rubbish cleaned up they are not likely to come and visit.

Hello lovelies.

Basically I'm a bit worried about things like snakes and cane toads; how do others cope with this?

Should I just let her out on lead at night when I can't supervise fully?

Would love your input, the one thing worrying me most is this! I want my girlie to be safe.

According to the Australian Venom Research Unit about 6,000 animals are bitten by snake each year and 44% of these are dogs -

http://www.avru.org/vetpet/vetpet_snakes.html

Don't assume night time is safer because snakes will move around on warm nights.

However, the City Chicks website advertises a snake repeller

http://citychicks.com.au/products/43/

Haven't tried it but am seriously thinking of it as I lost a cat to snakebite several years ago and it was a truly horrible experience.

Other precautionary measures are keeping the garden free of long grass, stone piles and woodheaps, pruning the bottom of shrubs so you can see what is under them, keeping your property free of mice, rats and frogs (which snakes hunt) and not leaving standing water around - which probably means keeping your dog's water bowl inside the house.

My dogs have been walked every day (and through bush) for the last 16 yrs (not the same dogs) and never encountered a problem. A tick repellent is a must.

Most dogs that encounter a problem do so in their own back yards on properties verging onto bushland. It is very rare that city dogs encounter a problem..............perhaps a nip from a skink disturbed when sunning itself or a bite from a bull ant............nothing serious.

Thanks everyone. We're hoping to add to our fur family when we get there (shelter dog this time though) so I'll be sure to research proper treatments thoroughly before we go. Here in the UK we have ticks but they're easily removed and less deadly than Aussie ones, I think; they carry Lymes disease, though.

I'm glad I don't have a bracosyphalic breed with a short nose, or I'd worry about things like heat exhaustion. I love having my dogs with me where ever I go; here in the UK you can take them to a pubs, cafes, etc., but my SIL was telling me that you just can't do that in Aus. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have not had much luck with my dogs here so far. I live near bushland. We bought with us our 2 Jack Russels and 3 weeks out of quarantine our baby (2years old) died early one morning. It was unexpected and the vet thinks it could possibly be a brown snake bite as they are common in our area. Then we got a puppy from the rescue home a few months later and she got stung by a bee and had a allergic reaction but was ok after a hefty vet bill! then 2 weeks ago the jax russell had been in the garden no more than 5 mins when he came in frothing at the mouth. We rushed him to the emergency vet by which time he was having hallucinations and seizure activity. $ 500 later he survived!!!!:jiggy: So now they are not allowed in the garden unsupervised and dawn/dusk on leads! He still tries to hunt them out doh! We are moving in 2 weeks to an area with less bush land and not so common for brown snakes!! oh I forgot they have both had paralysis ticks aswell but we took them off early enough so no damage coursed( we tick check every night) and use advantex. So far it has been an expensive and dangerous place for our dogs but I think its the area and bad luck. But I would never ever leave them behind!!!

Hello lovelies.

We're looking at trying to move over at some point in 2013. However, one thing that worries me a little is whether my dog will be safe. I can only bring one of them over, so will bring the clingy one as my boy will be content without me and staying with my mum, but I know she would pine horribly and I can't put her through that. Basically I'm a bit worried about things like snakes and cane toads; how do others cope with this?

I mean, if I let her out in the garden and she does her Schnauzer thing and is typically nosy, what if she disturbs something and gets hurt? Should I just let her out on lead at night when I can't supervise fully?

G'day mate, I live in a cane toad and taipan area; indeed, my garden backs on to a National Park and in the 12 years I have lived here, have not had any trouble with PJ, my dog, running around in the area. Yes, we have had a few taipans come into the garden in that time. And, yes, we have lotsa cane toads throughout the garden and breezeway where PJ sleeps, even had the odd 6-7 ft python come along. PJ always has a different kind of bark to alert us of snakes...usually at night:mad:

Dunno where you are heading for, but you should look into the paralysis tick problem, as I believe that is more dangerous.

http://www.animaloptions.com.au/index.php?page=paralysis-ticks

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Guest16631

...................we also live on the edge of some scrub land...................but have lived in australia for 20 years.............always rural residential...............always had dogs and only this year had any trouble..............snakes have always been regular visitors.............but as the dogs are kept close to the house at night have not caused a problem.................aalthough if they do come close the bull terrier will kill them................[he knows to get them behind the head......not something we encourage but has been necessary on occassion].....................never used chemicals on the dogs................but this year due to an increase in bandicoots my little dog got a tick.................it was flat on his cheek and I missed finding it until he started with symptoms..................a visit to the vet some anti tick serum and he is on the mend..................he does have some associated problems........................he scratched his eye when it was paralised..................but on the mend now.........................and while we have an influx of wild animals this summer they are all wearing tick collars annd will be checked more regularly.......................as long as you check your dogs regularly ..................and keep round the house clear of places for snakes to hide...................things are usually fine....................I missed the tick............his hair is quite long...........usually has it clipped.............and bandicoots are tick carriers.................good luck with your dogs they will love it here you just have to be a little more vigilant ......looking out for ticks and ensuring there are no hiding places for snakes near your home,..................I live where there are lots of wildlife and scrub and one tick in 20 years.................no snake bites..............and 5 dogs at any one time isn't bad ...............imo

Guest Guest16631

.......using one called........preventic .....atm. ..........just cut off what's not needed.........I bought these at the vets.....not sure on price.......but the produce stores sell them and are usually cheaper...........

G'day mate, I live in a cane toad and taipan area; indeed, my garden backs on to a National Park and in the 12 years I have lived here, have not had any trouble with PJ, my dog, running around in the area. Yes, we have had a few taipans come into the garden in that time. And, yes, we have lotsa cane toads throughout the garden and breezeway where PJ sleeps, even had the odd 6-7 ft python come along. PJ always has a different kind of bark to alert us of snakes...usually at night:mad:

Dunno where you are heading for, but you should look into the paralysis tick problem, as I believe that is more dangerous.

http://www.animaloptions.com.au/index.php?page=paralysis-ticks

Cheers, Bobj.

Can I ask what is a taipan? wish my dog was Australian wise. The odd thing is my dog would not touch frog/toad in England he would do a funny bark when he saw one yet here he picks one up nearly dies then actively hunts them out and tries to get at them....must of liked hallucinating :biggrin: