Social Work in Gold Coast/Brisbane

beatnik

I may well be moving to Australia next year with my wife, who is in the process of securing a job in Gold Coast.

I am a qualified social worker in England (qualified 7 years), and work in adult social care, and wondered whether there was many job opportunities in the Gold Coast? I am willing to do any social care jobs, including support worker, also be happy to work in mental health, for charities, drug and alcohol projects etc

Does anyone know if there is much of this work in GC? or will I need to travel to Brisbane for work? This will obvously have a bearing on where we live...

Any advice is gratefully received,

Thanks.

I may well be moving to Australia next year with my wife, who is in the process of securing a job in Gold Coast.

I am a qualified social worker in England (qualified 7 years), and work in adult social care, and wondered whether there was many job opportunities in the Gold Coast? I am willing to do any social care jobs, including support worker, also be happy to work in mental health, for charities, drug and alcohol projects etc

Does anyone know if there is much of this work in GC? or will I need to travel to Brisbane for work? This will obvously have a bearing on where we live...

Any advice is gratefully received,

Thanks.

Hey

Welcome to PIO I moved to the Gold Coast about a year ago and am loving it. I would suggest doing some research regarding how you register to be a social worker over here. I know of several people who have had to sit exams despite working in various fields in the UK for several years. These have included Physio's, Occupational Therapists, Electricians and Plumbers to name a few.

As for work check out the following websites SEEK and Smart Jobs (Queensland Government job website). Depending on how quickly you need to start work I would look at trying to get some contacts before you arrive. If you are looking for support worker stuff to start there are lots of businesses such as the Cerebral Palsy League of Queensland who have their own website and lots of other charities too.

Hope that helps and if you want any other information drop me a line.

Happy to help

I've had a nightmare trying to get work in NSW as a social worker, so much so that we may well be heading back to the UK after only 13 weeks!

Many jobs say 'eligibilty to join AASW or equivilant' DO NOT believe the equivilant bit!!

They want you to pay AASW to assess your skills to see IF they would let you join. And despite being a UK qualified SW & having 2 post grad dips & 10yrs work experience I'm not eligible :o( which means no social work jobs for me unless I study at Aussie HE level in social work for a year! Which just isn't possible right now because I need to work.

Jobs which don't ask for that are mostly charity case work & support work roles which pay very low below $50,000 and would be a major step back career wise.

DH is also having similar issues trying to teach at TAFE despite having quals higher and specifically in teaching FE & HE.

So look into getting AASW assess you before you come & your options if they won't admit you.

What were your specific qualifications? I have been working in a Child Protection Team as a SW for 4 1/2 years. I have degree in Social Science and a Post Graduate Diploma in SW. I am planning a move to Brisbane in April 2012. Really scuppered if I can't work in SW!

I would advise that it's not only about acquiring work but about the salary. I was involved with Child Protection and the burn out rate and departures due to low salary was phenomenal. Salaries are notoriously low although the present Gov't has pledged to fix this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-10/gillard-in-equal-pay-pledge/3657700

Good luck, you are grossly undervalued and do a very taxing and thankless job.

You should be ok with that so long as your PG Dip has the correct content, look on the AASW website. They give a qualification self assesment form.

I have the DipSW, Post Grad Dips practice teacher & child development. Been working in YOT as the only qualified SW & child protection for 10yrs! But not good enough for them. Money making scam imo. Was even told as much by NSW Health who are eagerly waiting for the Gov to bring in registration of SW, which won't be done by AASW.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise it costs so much to just see if you are eligible to register with AASW ($850), then another $620 to register with them if you are eligible! (if I understand it correctly)

After reading the information on their site, I think I would qualify for membership. I've got a degree in sociology, and a MA/DipSW in Social Work, a PQ1, I'm registered with GSCC and have 7 years experience.

Its a blow to hear that salaries aren't great. However I'm already a bit burnt out from social work in the UK and may try something else to begin with, such as support work with a lower salary anyway; then consider applying for SW jobs. Luckily my OH's salary may enable me to do this.

Its certainly givcen me lots of think about. Applying to see if you are eligible with the AASW seems to require a massive amount of information, which will take me a while to get hold of! So best to start this now I think. I have no idea how they are able to charge so much though, as Shel says it seems to be a money making scam!

You dont need to becoming a member, you just need them to assess if you are eligible. I haven't seen one job saying you have to actually be a member. So only pay $850 and I assume they'll give you some certificate or something saying you're eligible.

Definitly is a scam. The person I spoke to in NSW Health said given the high number of overseas applicants and because they are not capable to assessing all of the qualifications they have to use a benchmark and AASW is that!

She called them elitist and that they would all be glad when the Government bought out formal registration and monitoring so they could get away from it.

Ah well done! How many referrees did you need and what did they need to put on there?

|It costs loads ... english test is £100 approx, then the $850 dollar then the £4500 approx visa application which is all before you are even guaranteed if you will get a job!!

Then there's the cost of food ..... whinging poms!!

Have your qualifications assessed, it sounds like you have enough qualifications and experience. I don't know about jobs in the area you asked but I subscribe to the jobrapido website and I get daily alerts of social work jobs available in AUSSIE

I have 3 years experience as a sw in adult services too, had my AASW assessment done which took about 8wks and cost £650 ($850). I was assessed as eligible. I have now applied for a VIC state sponsorship, and I am just taking things step by step. Despite wanting to escape to this promise of a better life style I will not uproot my kids without securing a job first otherwise the whole experience may turn into a nghtmare.

• 2 months later...
Guest tthorley1979

Hi,

I am currently waiting for the outcome for my skills assessment, it cost $850 plus extra to fast track it. Dos anyone know what the average salary is for Social Workers and whether there is a great demand for them? I am considering moving to Brisbane or Perth depending on the job opportunities. I will be visiting both states in 2 weeks. I am also hoping to firstly secure a job on a 457 visa. I am currently working on a social work team for Adults with learning disabilities and wndering whether there are other opportunities in this field too.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Tracy

Hi there,

Can't answer question about job opportunities in LD but I am in the same boat as you. I asked that question too about social work salaries in OZ, my research showed around 60k but I was told to bear in mind that life in OZ is more expensive and in real terms the 60k is no where near enough to live on. I am currently working in LD services too and I had my skills assessment in october 2011, victoria state sponsorship - jan 2012, 176 application -8 jan 2012, CO got intouch 23 jan 2012, medicals done and received and have submitted all requested docs.

It will be great to get feedback of your trip.

:wubclub::wubclub:

Hi,

I am currently waiting for the outcome for my skills assessment, it cost $850 plus extra to fast track it. Dos anyone know what the average salary is for Social Workers and whether there is a great demand for them? I am considering moving to Brisbane or Perth depending on the job opportunities. I will be visiting both states in 2 weeks. I am also hoping to firstly secure a job on a 457 visa. I am currently working on a social work team for Adults with learning disabilities and wndering whether there are other opportunities in this field too.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Tracy

Learning disabilities is not my area but do feel that there will be openings here in Perth along with Child Protection,of course. Don't expect great pay though especially considering the high costs in Perth. You are doing the right thing by visiting both cities prior to moving out. There is no subsitute to actually being on site. Good Luck.

Hello all,

I have a Skype interview for Perth on Monday, their salary is advertised as 55k onwards. But I do realise (from my 2trips and watching 'wanted down under' that cost of living except petrol is very high. I wonder how much scope there is for salary negotiation (4yrs SW experience but just 6mnths CP).

People say CP work is very different between Australia and UK - does anyone know in what way?

Also, has anyone had an interview with WA gov? Wondering what kind of questions they will ask....

Thanks, Jo

Guest tthorley1979
Hi there,

Can't answer question about job opportunities in LD but I am in the same boat as you. I asked that question too about social work salaries in OZ, my research showed around 60k but I was told to bear in mind that life in OZ is more expensive and in real terms the 60k is no where near enough to live on. I am currently working in LD services too and I had my skills assessment in october 2011, victoria state sponsorship - jan 2012, 176 application -8 jan 2012, CO got intouch 23 jan 2012, medicals done and received and have submitted all requested docs.

It will be great to get feedback of your trip.

:wubclub::wubclub:

Hi,

Yes it is quite worrying about the salary, Im new to this site but already ive noticed that a few people have said the same so im hoping my husband will find a good job too. We also have a 6 month old baby and the child care is expensive too, so ive just got everything crossed hat we can afford to live there. Yes I'll let you know feedback on my return :)

Guest tthorley1979
Learning disabilities is not my area but do feel that there will be openings here in Perth along with Child Protection,of course. Don't expect great pay though especially considering the high costs in Perth. You are doing the right thing by visiting both cities prior to moving out. There is no subsitute to actually being on site. Good Luck.

Thanks, do you know of any employers in Perth that would be good for me to contact and maybe visit to gain further information about Social Work opportunities?

Thanks

Guest tthorley1979
Hello all,

I have a Skype interview for Perth on Monday, their salary is advertised as 55k onwards. But I do realise (from my 2trips and watching 'wanted down under' that cost of living except petrol is very high. I wonder how much scope there is for salary negotiation (4yrs SW experience but just 6mnths CP).

People say CP work is very different between Australia and UK - does anyone know in what way?

Also, has anyone had an interview with WA gov? Wondering what kind of questions they will ask....

Thanks, Jo

Hi,

Thats great! i'd love to hear how you get on with interview and also im interested in what questions they ask you.Where was the post advertised? What Visa wil you be going on?

Tracy

Hello

I saw it on Community Care website, the nothern territory ones were on Seek. However the WA ones are recruiting as an open pool so I guess you could email them and ask if you could apply. Looks like its an ongoing thing...

My interview is at 6.30am!! And I am not a morning person hehe.

If i get the position i would imagine it would be a 457 so that they tie me to them. If i don't get it i will go 6months there on a tourist visa but can't work can only volunteer. Jox

Guest jessyjay

Hi Jo

I have a Skype interview beginning of March for a social work job in Melbourne please could you tell me what questions you are asked when you have done your interview so i can have an idea on what to read on. i've never had a social work interview in Australia before so i have no clue. All the best on your interview. What sort of materials are you reading

Thanks

Jessy

Hi Jo

I have a Skype interview beginning of March for a social work job in Melbourne please could you tell me what questions you are asked when you have done your interview so i can have an idea on what to read on. i've never had a social work interview in Australia before so i have no clue. All the best on your interview. What sort of materials are you reading

Thanks

Jessy

Hey Jessy,

Just being nosey who your interview is with in Melbourne??

Cheers

Heya,

I had 2 for Melbourne this time last year but was unsuccessful. However I hadn't done any CP work (just general SW) by that point and i think the questions were for a senior prac level. But here they are:-

- What 3 words would your friends say about you? (really odd q - wasn't expecting this at all)

- How would you deal with a mother who said to you in confidence that her fella was hitting her?

- What would you do if you saw your colleagues getting really behind on profile notes?

- Tell me of a time when you did something exceptional at work? They said not the usual working 50 hours, staying behind, etc. This i really struggled with!! As its pretty hard to do anything exceptional in CS's these days!

- Why do you want to come to Australia?

- Where do you need to improve?

- What would you do if you weren't getting on with your manager (a lot of the qs were really negative and i felt like it may have been a negative culture)

- What would you do if the TM was off sick and you were the most senior in the office?

- Tell me of a time when something went wrong on your caseload?

Thats all i can remember for now....happy to brainstorm with you...i have been researching all the visas and all sorts for a year so i know a lot.

You can PM me if you like.

Jo x