Guest kieranwilby

plasterer moving to goldcoast. help pls!!

Guest kieranwilby

hi im im a solid plasterer from leeds with nvq's levels 1&2. im moving to the goldcoast in january. im writing on here just to get an insight into how they go about solid plastering in the goldcoast and if there is much demand for plasteres in this area. ive been told everything is mainly tape an joint an no wet plaster at all except for rendering. if anyone could help that'd be great. or if anyone knows of someone setting on that would be better lol cheers. kieran

hi im im a solid plasterer from leeds with nvq's levels 1&2. im moving to the goldcoast in january. im writing on here just to get an insight into how they go about solid plastering in the goldcoast and if there is much demand for plasteres in this area. ive been told everything is mainly tape an joint an no wet plaster at all except for rendering. if anyone could help that'd be great. or if anyone knows of someone setting on that would be better lol cheers. kieran

Hi Kieran

I'm not a plasterer but thought I'd jump in and say hi :biggrin: I guess you will have to wait for the guys in aussie to come online to answer this one.

Whereabouts in Brisbane you hoping to settle?

Carla

Me, hubby and our two gorgeous girls.

Arrived in Australia 22nd March 2012

Guest kieranwilby

hi carla

i dunno yet im going to meet a friend in the goldcoast who's hopefullly sorting me a job owt. abit nervous that why ive asked for advice on here.

hi carla

i dunno yet im going to meet a friend in the goldcoast who's hopefullly sorting me a job owt. abit nervous that why ive asked for advice on here.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine:biggrin:

Me, hubby and our two gorgeous girls.

Arrived in Australia 22nd March 2012

Guest Louey
hi carla

Hey

Welcome to PIO....I am too unable to help you with the plastering question :huh: but thought would say hi as I am a yorkshire lass from Bradford (for my sins) have been on the gold coast for about a year.

If you have any questions about the area, cost of living etc I am only too happy to help with those.

Good luck with your move you will love it out here.

Can't answer specifically about plastering, but there's been a spate of reports in various papers saying how dead the work situation in building in general is there. We have a couple of offices that do a lot of residential subdivisions down that way which are only being kept open because of a government road contract, the building side that they normally do is not bringing in any bucks at all.

Hopefully someone here will say that the reports are exaggerated and there's work for you, but could you consider going somewhere else until things pick up if need be?

insta #tabradders
Fine art landscape and portrait photography.  And occasionally fannying around with ultra-macro when I should be working.

Guest deb31deb

Hi my husband is a solid plasterer we moved over 3 years ago it was tough with work for a while there but the last year things have picked up for my husband and he has had constant work he is self employed sub contracted we live on the goldcoast do you have a wife and children coming over with you or just yourself ? feel free to ask questions i will get my husband to answer if i cant!

Hi,

I thought I would jump into this thread as my husband is a plasterer and also tiles and bricklays, we are moving to brisbane, Cleveland/redland Bay area i think not to far from you. We are flying out April 2nd, I am a midwife so it was my job who the visa is based on and I have a job to go to at Mater in Cleveland, i am really worried as i have read lots about slow construction and am worried that he will not find work and that i will have to work full time forever:sad:.

We are a family of 4, we have 2 children aged 7 and 4. We have perm res visa, so am hoping to never come back.

If you have any contacts or tips it would be so much appreciated and any chat and tips great.

Thanks

Sam

Hi my husband is a solid plasterer we moved over 3 years ago it was tough with work for a while there but the last year things have picked up for my husband and he has had constant work he is self employed sub contracted we live on the goldcoast do you have a wife and children coming over with you or just yourself ? feel free to ask questions i will get my husband to answer if i cant!

Welcome all future tradesmen, plastering is split into two trades here. You will find there are more wall and ceiling liners here than solid plasterers. You will need a licence in Qld to sub-contract for either trade, which will mean gaining a Cert III(TAFE is the better choice). There is a reconition process involved that you will need to prove your experiance in the area you want to work in. I've been here for over seven years now, north of Brisbane and can help you through some of the process(PM) if that will help.

That said there is work around, although it is not well advertised so ringing/going around to job sites is recomended, with the outlook a bit brighter than the last year.

Hope this helps and good luck, it's worth it in the long run.

hi there,im a solid plasterer(renderer) as there known over here , first thing is its done a bit different to back home ,mainly exterier work with light weight bagged render ,applied in 2 coats ,there are a few people that still use traditional sand and cement,wages are around the $30 an hr,pm me wen u arrive and i can give u some numbers of busy companies /happy hunting