Tea4two

Please help - 12 months evidence when self employed

Can anyone help me out with something...my OH has worked for more than 10 years as a plumber but last August he went self employed. This is fine as he has been lucky enough to get work throughout but our tax return is not due till January. Our CO has now requested the following:

Must include (but is not limited to):- British Taxation Documents and Assessments, Profit and Loss statement if operating as a sub-contractor

Does anyone know what I can give? I don't have the taxation docs obviously due to the above. Can I just do a profit and loss myself? Or would I get an accountant to do this? I can do it and I'm not planning on getting an accountant to do my end of year return so I'd only be going to one for this purpose. I have already sent references and bank statements so I guess that wasn't enough. I have about 7 months already from when he was working for a company before going self employed so it's just 5 months I need to prove.

Getting a bit stressed out, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance xx

Vic SS applied 03/11, granted 05/11, IELTS passed 09/11 score 9/8/8/8.5 overall 8.5, pos skills assessment 18/10 ,176 app 22/10, granted 16 Dec 2011!

The only thing I can think of is did you register with the tax office when your OH started up on his own and get any documentation? As for the accountant they seem to be fairly keen on headed paper as far as I can tell

The only thing I can think of is did you register with the tax office when your OH started up on his own and get any documentation? As for the accountant they seem to be fairly keen on headed paper as far as I can tell

Thanks for the reply Caz, yeh we registered but i don't think they'll accept that if they won't accept bank statements. Doesn't prove he worked full time. From reading threads it looks like I'll have to submit our tax return for aug to apr (the first year he worked) and submit that. Then for the following year, this April to oct I could get a 6 month profit and loss from an accountant. Let's hope I get the tax return back within 28 days. Arrrrgggghhh!

Vic SS applied 03/11, granted 05/11, IELTS passed 09/11 score 9/8/8/8.5 overall 8.5, pos skills assessment 18/10 ,176 app 22/10, granted 16 Dec 2011!

Headed paper from his accountant stating that he is duley appointed , accountant can certify and confirm that your hubby is registered with companies house or the tax man etc , any company numbers relevant , vat number etc , Hubby can show evidence that he is self employed with invoices both for works he's done and purchase invboices , quotations and estimates , business cards , photos of him on the job , his own letter head , magazine adverts , picture of his van all sign written , theirs absoloutly loads he can do to show his last year of trading , including a self declaration , trade references from customers and people he holds accounts with

Prior to that he can simply use previous employer references , My visa 176 requires me to have worked in my trade for 2 of last 5 years or 3 of 8 years , something like that . I bet your hubby could just write off his last year if he wanted to and just go on past employment references as he obviously has more than enough experience that he can prove .

Hope this helps .

lee

IELTS 08/10/11 8.5/8.5/7.5/9...8.5 O/A, VETASSESS 15/11/11,level 1 pass 19/12/11,practical 25/02/12, results 21/03/12, WA SS 04/04/2012,Approved 30/04/12,DIAC 18/05/2012, CO 28/05/12, PC's 30/05/12, meds 01/06/12 PCC 19/06/12 , VISA Granted 21/06/12......

Forgot to mention , ive been self employed for 10 years so ive had no option but to do a lot of work to prove i do what i do .

lots of oooooo's there ? haha

lee

IELTS 08/10/11 8.5/8.5/7.5/9...8.5 O/A, VETASSESS 15/11/11,level 1 pass 19/12/11,practical 25/02/12, results 21/03/12, WA SS 04/04/2012,Approved 30/04/12,DIAC 18/05/2012, CO 28/05/12, PC's 30/05/12, meds 01/06/12 PCC 19/06/12 , VISA Granted 21/06/12......

We're just doin TRA at the mo my OH is self employed tiler so trying to get all of that stuff together, tax office have been quite good are sending me out copies of 5 years worth of returns so hopefully get it all in next week!

Aw thanks guys . . . Some things there I hadn't thought of. Our CO was pretty specific though, we aren't claiming any points for experience as we don't need it but as a minimum for our 176 visa we need to show the basic 12 months experience in the last 24 months. He worked for an employer for 8 months in that time, the rest is self employed. So I only have 4 months to prove but haven't made a tax return yet as required by them. The CO said it must include tax evidence, I can prove I'm registered with them with numbers etc but not how much I've earned yet. We don't have an accountant as I do it all and then plan on doing my own tax return as our books etc are quite simple. But i might look into an accountant this week for profit and loss statements.

Heres to a busy week! Lol x

Aw thanks guys . . . Some things there I hadn't thought of. Our CO was pretty specific though, we aren't claiming any points for experience as we don't need it but as a minimum for our 176 visa we need to show the basic 12 months experience in the last 24 months. He worked for an employer for 8 months in that time, the rest is self employed. So I only have 4 months to prove but haven't made a tax return yet as required by them. The CO said it must include tax evidence, I can prove I'm registered with them with numbers etc but not how much I've earned yet. We don't have an accountant as I do it all and then plan on doing my own tax return as our books etc are quite simple. But i might look into an accountant this week for profit and loss statements.

Heres to a busy week! Lol x

I know it would melt your head! I'm trying to organise the TRA and we're getting married in two weeks busy bee myself! Good luck x

I know it would melt your head! I'm trying to organise the TRA and we're getting married in two weeks busy bee myself! Good luck x

Aw congrats and good luck! We got married in May just as I was organising (or trying to) my OHs skills assessment! Exciting times for you :) x

My OH was also self employed. I did all his book work and tax returns and I'm not an accountant. I did a letter stating that I had done his books for 8 years. i put in any correspondance from the tax office, registration, national insurance contribution etc. I also got letters off customers stating that he had done work for them, letters from suppliers stating that he had a trade account which was active. Letters from companies if he was sub-contracting to any. I also put in photos of him at work, on site, in his van etc. Include a very detailed CV stating all aspects of work he has done, both employed and self-employed. Also copies of adverts in local papers, website address and reciept. basically anything you can think of that shows he has been working. Good luck :smile:

My OH was also self employed. I did all his book work and tax returns and I'm not an accountant. I did a letter stating that I had done his books for 8 years. i put in any correspondance from the tax office, registration, national insurance contribution etc. I also got letters off customers stating that he had done work for them, letters from suppliers stating that he had a trade account which was active. Letters from companies if he was sub-contracting to any. I also put in photos of him at work, on site, in his van etc. Include a very detailed CV stating all aspects of work he has done, both employed and self-employed. Also copies of adverts in local papers, website address and reciept. basically anything you can think of that shows he has been working. Good luck :smile:

Hi Simon and Debs

Thanks for the reply, much help :biggrin:

My main problem is that I don't have tax returns...but I think it might be best to submit last years early instead of by January. The best year when trade had picked up was this year though so do you think it's worth doing a 6 month profit and loss statement April to September?

And 1 more quick question...do you think there is a cut off or guidelines according to how much money you have made as to whether they pass you? I ask because you have to prove you have worked 20 hours per week - how can this be proved? We had a lot of introductory rate jobs that we did in the first two months where he fit bathrooms at half price but this shows on the invoice so that's okay, but it will affect the overall profit obviously x

Aw congrats and good luck! We got married in May just as I was organising (or trying to) my OHs skills assessment! Exciting times for you :) x

Thanks, I sort of go each day alternating between which one is wrecking my head least - TRA or my seating planner!:arghh::twitcy:

Sure We'll get there in the end think I've most of the TRA stuff sorted now few letters from suppliers and stuff from tax office and off it goes! Then may get Des studying for the IELTS!

At least that's one thing he has to do himself!:wink::biglaugh:

I don't think there is a cut off for salary, he was working in the said profession and that's whats importan't. If I was you I would put all this information in a letter explaining how you were starting up the business and offered introductory pricing to get the customers. Hope this helps.

Cheers Debbie

Hi Simon and Debs

Thanks for the reply, much help :biggrin:

My main problem is that I don't have tax returns...but I think it might be best to submit last years early instead of by January. The best year when trade had picked up was this year though so do you think it's worth doing a 6 month profit and loss statement April to September?

And 1 more quick question...do you think there is a cut off or guidelines according to how much money you have made as to whether they pass you? I ask because you have to prove you have worked 20 hours per week - how can this be proved? We had a lot of introductory rate jobs that we did in the first two months where he fit bathrooms at half price but this shows on the invoice so that's okay, but it will affect the overall profit obviously x

Thanks, I sort of go each day alternating between which one is wrecking my head least - TRA or my seating planner!:arghh::twitcy:

Sure We'll get there in the end think I've most of the TRA stuff sorted now few letters from suppliers and stuff from tax office and off it goes! Then may get Des studying for the IELTS!

At least that's one thing he has to do himself!:wink::biglaugh:

lol oh I remember that...I had to take all my stationery bits and bobs abroad with me as people were still confirming while I was out there as we went a week early lol...sticking and pasting the week of your wedding lol. it'll work out fine though :)

IELTS - that's one thing I am sooo glad I didn't have to do, can be so tricky depending on what you need! x

I don't think there is a cut off for salary, he was working in the said profession and that's whats importan't. If I was you I would put all this information in a letter explaining how you were starting up the business and offered introductory pricing to get the customers. Hope this helps.

Cheers Debbie

Thanks Debbie - yeh think I might just do that as you can see a definite difference from one profit and loss statement to the other so it will back up what i'm saying :) Thanks a million x

lol oh I remember that...I had to take all my stationery bits and bobs abroad with me as people were still confirming while I was out there as we went a week early lol...sticking and pasting the week of your wedding lol. it'll work out fine though :)

IELTS - that's one thing I am sooo glad I didn't have to do, can be so tricky depending on what you need! x[/quote

lol

He'll be grand only needs 7 I think.

Oh dear it's time to collect the children from creche and I have really done nothing all morning!!

I think wedding is sorted now only managed to find shoes for my girls on ebay yesterday!

Best be off!

IELTS - that's one thing I am sooo glad I didn't have to do, can be so tricky depending on what you need! x[/quote

lol

He'll be grand only needs 7 I think.

Oh dear it's time to collect the children from creche and I have really done nothing all morning!!

I think wedding is sorted now only managed to find shoes for my girls on ebay yesterday!

Best be off!

Oh he'll be fine them i'm sure...that's all my OH needed but he managed to get 8s so it meant we didn't need to faff around finding years worth of work evidence as we didnt need the extra points :)

lol happens to me every day....get caught on here and before I know it the day/nights gone lol. Enjoy your wedding and thanks for the advice x

Oh he'll be fine them i'm sure...that's all my OH needed but he managed to get 8s so it meant we didn't need to faff around finding years worth of work evidence as we didnt need the extra points :)

lol happens to me every day....get caught on here and before I know it the day/nights gone lol. Enjoy your wedding and thanks for the advice x

No probs

Thank v much

I had this from them so I supplied the following

Stat dec confirming employment status

2 years bank statements

Letter from accountant confirming his appointment

Tax letter confirming my utr tax number

Stat dec detailing my job including tools used etc etc

I also got my accounts from the accountant for the previous year even though they had not been submitted for thereturn.

Mine was changed to met as soon as they got the letter from the tax office.

Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth:jiggy:

I have just stumbled across this people & find it very interesting. What visa are you applying for Baxters2011??

My partner & I will be applying for a 457 visa in the new year, my partner has been self employed but at the same farm for the last 10years. Will we have to provide evidence with the tax man etc for this visa???

I had this from them so I supplied the following

Stat dec confirming employment status

2 years bank statements

Letter from accountant confirming his appointment

Tax letter confirming my utr tax number

Stat dec detailing my job including tools used etc etc

I also got my accounts from the accountant for the previous year even though they had not been submitted for thereturn.

Mine was changed to met as soon as they got the letter from the tax office.

Thanks guys - I already sent stat decs and bank statements so I think he just needs the tax info...and based on what you said above think i'll defo get an accountant in hand to do a P&L for this year so far. Hoping to get a return to the tax office and back quickly for the first year of trading :) Thanks guys xxx

I have just stumbled across this people & find it very interesting. What visa are you applying for Baxters2011??

My partner & I will be applying for a 457 visa in the new year, my partner has been self employed but at the same farm for the last 10years. Will we have to provide evidence with the tax man etc for this visa???

Hi Zara, how's it going?

We are applying for a 176 visa - it's only tricky for us because my OH started self employment in 2010 (Aug) so our first tax return is not due till Jan. My CO's email stressed tax evidence so all the other bits that add weight to the evidence are pretty much useless without tax or financial info. I'm not sure about your visa but most visas (please correct if I am wrong as i'm no expert, not even close lol) have a basic requirement for you to have 12 months out of the last 24 months work experience evidence in your field....but ours is a skilled visa so maybe if yours isn't it may not be the case? xx

Hi Zara, how's it going?

We are applying for a 176 visa - it's only tricky for us because my OH started self employment in 2010 (Aug) so our first tax return is not due till Jan. My CO's email stressed tax evidence so all the other bits that add weight to the evidence are pretty much useless without tax or financial info. I'm not sure about your visa but most visas (please correct if I am wrong as i'm no expert, not even close lol) have a basic requirement for you to have 12 months out of the last 24 months work experience evidence in your field....but ours is a skilled visa so maybe if yours isn't it may not be the case? xx

Thank you Baxter 2011, yes we are good, we are asking permission from my ex husband next week to take my son with us, so fingers x with that one. We are waiting for the official job offer from the employer & for him to start the sponsorship visa. We are hoping all this will be done by the new year bearing in mind we get a 'Yes' from 'Dad' as well.

We understand that our visa is not skilled as such so fingers x references from the farm he has been at for the last 10yrs self employed will be enough for us as it will be another farm he will be heading onto so they only really, I would have thought, would need to evidence from the current farm to prove that he is capable of taking on the job he is being sponsored for.

Fingers x for everyone's situation!! This site has been so helpful it is unreal!! x:biggrin:

Your utr number confirmed should be enough then just tell your co in an email your accounts are not due yet. Your utr is proof of self employment, all you then need to do is prove the minimal hours were worked as required.

Visa Applied 25/5/11, GRANTED 16/9/11 Now Living the Dream In Perth:jiggy: