Visa Granted! But which flights??

Guest RobynT84

Guest RobynT84

Hiya,

We've just had our WA Sponsored 176 granted and the DIAC have sent us details of the International Migration Organisation (IMO), who are able to offer concessional fares for one way flights including additional baggage.

I've had a quote from them of £625pp including 40k total baggage per person which I think is pretty good but they offer really limited information on the itinerary until payment is made and I'd really like to know all the details before we book.

So, the question is - do I book with IMO or direct with an airline? Has anyone got examples of cheaper deals? - the cheapest I can find is £571 with Singapore airlines but it's only 20k baggage pp. OR has anyone booked and flown through a booking with IMO and can tell me about their experience?

FYI - We're flying London to Perth

Thanks,

Robyn

We emailed them too, and got ok prices for flights from Glasgow and 40kg allowance with Emirates, which is better than the standard 30kg with them.

But you get double baggage allowance with Singapore Airlines with an unvalidated visa, but you need to email them before to get them to increase you allowance to 40kg, and take copy of email to airport.

"We are pleased to inform you that Singapore Airlines offer double baggage allowance for the first time migrating passengers holding an Unused Migrant Visa which states that it is valid for an Indefinite stay in Australia.

If you are holding correct visa, you will be eligible for double baggage allowance i.e 40 kilos per person upon check-in at the airport. If not holding correct visa, your baggage allowance would be as per your ticket.

Please be informed that Singapore Airlines has a strict procedure with the migrant baggage polices. Passengers will not be entitled to double baggage allowance, if they are holding a dual nationality or any other visa e.g: Temporary, Spouse, Provisional or a Stamped Visa.

You are not limited to the number of bags that you check in for your flights as long as the sum total does not exceed your free baggage allowance. But due to health and safety laws each checked in bag must not exceed 32kgs in weight. If you exceed with your free baggage weight limit, you will be charged excess baggage rates.

For excess baggage rates, may we request you to log on to www.singaporeair.com. You may navigate through to this information from our Home Page/Before You Fly/Plan&Prepare/ Baggage/Excess Baggage.

I hope this helps your enquiry.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines. "

found the above in a previous thread

Congrats on getting your visa!! Now the scary bit!!

we booked flights through Singapore Air, and when we spoke to their customer services they confirmed that with a one-way ticket, and unstamped permanent visa we would get 40 kgs baggage allowance :-)

Guest RobynT84

Hi Lebourvellec and Littlegreenman,

Thanks so much - this is exactly the sort of information I didn't want to miss out on! I will get in touch with Singapore Airlines to book direct then.

I remember being very envious of your grant Lebourvellec - we were just days away from getting our CO at the time (although we didn't know it!) - such a great feeling when you get that letter isn't it!

And littlegreenman, your's should be just around the corner too! Ours was granted within 12 hours of uploading the PCC's.

Hi Robyn,

Yeah the wait is bitter sweet agony. We applied by paper and hence can't see the status of our application online. Fortunately our CO responds very quickly and we know the only thing outstanding are our Singapore Police Clearances which were posted by them directly to DIAC on Tuesday. So all we can do is wait for it to arrive and then get the email from our CO. Being in the time zone means you check your email a million times a day.

Regarding moving your stuff. We found it cheaper to mail some stuff from the UK when we moved to Asia. Four weeks surface mail was quite cheap and is quite good for stuff like winter clothes etc which you don't need straight away. Don't even think about taking older things and furniture along. You can get this rather cheaply in Aus. At least this is my five cents worth of knowledge.